VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, ok - I know this has been done to death but bear with me...

I am about to do the 1.9TDi conversion on my 1995 2.4D Caravelle GL. Never one to choose the easy option I am also going to convert it to manual gearbox at the same time – I like a challenge :) Since I joined the forum I have spent a great deal of time reading the various threads regarding the TDi conversion for the T4. Indeed, it took me a long time just to find the right thread i.e. aggiet4’s original post. After reading what seemed like every other post which referred to the thread but never actually linked to it – I began to ask myself why on earth isn’t it a sticky:confused:? Mods – I know I'm new here but can I be cheeky and ask if you would consider adding aggieT4s thread as a sticky or adding it to the technical articles? T:

So, having eventually finished reading aggies excellent thread (see: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15258 )on the TD to TDi conversion, and seeing the same questions raised again and again in later threads, I decided to put this short FAQ, shopping-list, and basic overview together of the conversion for those who are either contemplating doing it or want to know where to start.

I must stress that I’m not in anyway trying to take credit for anything anyone else has done, but I found it so frustrating to have to search for hours and read many tens if not hundreds of posts in order to glean the required information which could be condensed into a page or two. The info below is what I have come up with and is intended as a companion to aggieT4’s thread. I welcome criticism where any info provided is inaccurate or just plain wrong.

Please help by identifying any errors or corrections – I have only put together the information which I found difficult to gather and my knowledge is somewhat limited since I am new to T4s. Others may have questions/suggestions which are not obvious to me but that may help those attempting the conversion in the future.

FAQ:

Q. Which donor cars and engines can be used?
A. Any of the VAG: Golf/Passat/Polo/Ibiza/Toledo/Octavia/Sharan/Alhambra etc. or Ford Galaxy cars with 1Z, AFN, AHU, and ALE engines can be used. Be aware that the some earlier Audi and VW Passat B5 cars (with longitudinal engine configurations), although came with 1Z/AHU/AFN coded engines, the block casting for these differed. In short, this means that there may be some added fabrication of brackets. The best advice I can give is to avoid such engines if you are not sure if you are prepared to do such additional work.

Q. Besides the engine what else do I need from the donor car?
A. This question is perhaps best rephrased as ‘besides the car what else isn’t needed when converting my T4 to 1.9TDi.’ The summarised answer is that you will need the engine/turbo/engine wiring loom, intercooler, ECU, fusebox, throttle position sensor, and clocks. If the donor car is post 1995 you will also need the immobiliser, immobiliser pickup (aerial), and key. It may be cheaper and easier to buy a whole car rather than purchase these items individually

Q. Can I use the Golf /Passat/Polo/Ibiza/Toledo/Octavia gearbox in the conversion?
A. No, you must use the original T4 gearbox, the Golf etc gearbox is completely different. You may be able to use the 5th gear components however see post: http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22159

Q. I’m not very good with electrical systems and wiring. Can I just swap the engine for my current 1.9TD or 1.9D for the TDi engine and use the mechanical pump on my existing engine?
A. Yes you can, but in practice you will not realise all the benefits of the TDi engine. The 1.9TDi engine was designed for electronic control of the fuel pump which maximises the economy, power output and smooth running of the engine. Using a standard mechanical IDI pump, it won’t run efficiently as the injection pressures are too-low and the engine may suffer from fuelling and boost problems. There are solutions to this such as using a specially adapted mechanical pump (known as m-tdi), but the cost of these is prohibitive ~£1000. And even after spending this sort of money (and lots more to have it set-up correctly), the motor will not run and idle as smoothly as an electronically controlled TDi motor.

Q. Will any of the newer/later VAG VE (Verteiler Einspritzung) (AGR/ALH etc.) or PD (Pumpe Duse) (ATD/ASZ/ARL, etc.) engines fit in the T4?
A. Anything will fit if you have the time and perhaps money...but the short answer to this is no as the oil filter housing and possibly some of the ancillaries will foul the radiator on a T4. Then there is the added complication with the sump (as the T4 engine leans forward at 27 degrees from vertical - most cars lean back at 15 degrees), exhaust, etc, etc. The electrical installation is also much more complex and is not plug-and-play as is 1Z/etc series of engines. The 1Z/AFN/etc. route is perhaps the easiest if you want to avoid custom fabrication.

WHAT DO I NEED? (aka SHOPPING LIST)

Having sourced a good donor car what exactly do I need to take from it?

1. Engine
2. Turbo (you can also use the existing T4 turbo if you have an ABL engine)
3. Engine wiring loom
4. Intercooler and piping
5. ECU
6. Fusebox
7. Throttle position sensor
8. Immobiliser, pickup, and key (not req’d if the donor vehicle is pre 1995 )
9. Clocks
10. All sensors etc associated with the engine

Based on the type of existing powerplant in your T4, below is a list of what else will be required:

If you have 1.9D 64HP (1X/1Y etc.)

Inlet Manifold from 1.9TD ABL*
Exhaust Manifold from 1.9TD ABL*
Turbo from 1.9TD ABL*
Oil feed and return pipes for Turbo*
Air filter housing/ducting from 1.9TD ABL or 2.5TDI

1.9TD 68HP (ABL)

You already have all of the additional required parts that you need

If you have 2.4D 78/75HP (AAB/AJA)

Turbo from 1.9TD ABL*
RH engine mount from ABL/1X
Lower engine mounting from ABL/1X
Air filter housing/ducting from 1.9TD ABL
Dipstick tube and dipstick from a 1.9D/TD
Oil sump from either ABL/1X
Oil pump pickup pipe
PAS pump, crank pulley, and belt from a1.9D/TD
PAS pump-to-rack hoses
Coolant pipes from a 1.9D/TD
1.9D/TD or Audi 80/100/A4 oil filter/cooler fitting (not essential but will ensure that the engine will not foul the undertray)

If you have a petrol engined t4

Turbo from 1.9TD ABL*
T4 Gearbox complete (from 1.9D/TD)
RH engine mount from ABL/1Y
LHS Engine Mounting from ABL/1Y
Lower engine mounting from ABL/1Y
Oil sump from either ABL/1Y
Oil pump pickup pipe
Air filter housing/ducting from 1.9TD ABL
Dipstick tube and dipstick from a 1.9D/TD

* The original parts from the 1Z/AHU/AFN/ALE/etc. engine may be used in these cases, if you are prepared to fabricate a new exhaust downpipe and make some minor modifications

I’VE NOW GOT EVERYTHING I NEED. WHAT MODIFICATIONS DO I NEED TO MAKE TO THE 1.9TDi ENGINE?

I’m not going to go into detail here as aggies thread provides all the info you will need. However, the main jobs to be carried out comprise:

1. Drill out the three RH engine mounting holes on the block and tap with M10 thread.
2. Drill a hole for the dipstick in the back of the block
3. Fit the oil sump from the T4 (ABL)
4. Fit the inlet and exhaust manifolds from the T4 ABL engine.*

Apart from the electrical system modification (which I will try to cover in another thread), these are the most essential modifications.

I welcome any input on corrections/inaccuracies. Hope this is of help to those contemplating the conversion.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Keep us posted - I'd be interested to hear how you get on....

I've got a rusted out golf with a good AHU lump in, and a thirsty, slow 2.4 van. I read Aggie's thread a while back, but IIRC he was starting from a 1.9TD.... I wasn't sure how much extra complication there'd be with a 2.4 as the starting point

The bits you haven't managed to source yet - are they prohibitively expensive from VW, or not available any more?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys. I've now edited the post and added the link to the main text

Scrapperstoo:

That's the very reason I put this post together - to try to give people who are wondering about what else is needed etc. an idea of what needs to be sourced in order to start the conversion. I have researched the 2.4D as a starting point and although I haven't started on the actual conversion yet, I'm pretty sure that the above list for the 2.4 includes all the extra stuff that you will need. I may be wrong, and if I am I'll let you know as the conversion progresses.

cheekychappy84:

Thanks for the comments. I'm in up on the west coast near Aberystwyth.

·
Registered
335 Posts
good shout mate, but the airbox and inlet piping you'd be better off with, instead of the 1.9TD ABL one, is a 2.5 TDI one, this has the oputlet on it for a MAF sensor, and fitts in the right place, with no mods. If you use a 1.9 TD one, you will have to cut and shut the donor car airbox, and the 1.9TD one, to make the maf fit, and it wont look nice, or be as professional. It can be done, but far easier to spend £20.00 or so on a 2.5 TDI one.......

·
Registered
217 Posts
I do think that the turbo will hit the chassis on the LHD usually people hummer the chassis to get some clearance. I don't now if you will have this problem on RHD.

João

·
Registered
646 Posts
You also require the power steering pipes and some coolant pipes if converting from 2.4 to tdi.

which is the lower engine mount you mention?

And i assume its all done and up and running etc... im just gonna search your posts now as you are a legend when it comes to t4's
cheers jaz

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it possible to have the 1.9 TD engine part number?

My girlfrend is going in France in july, i might try to get her some part in her luggage ... but i guess she will go to VW dealer in Lyon

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find some help with pics for fitting the intercooler from the golf?

Have spent all my budget already and can't afford to get front mounted jobbie

:*

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like this?:

made from all of the golf pipework:

In short to fit:

i) trim the lower lip off the front crossmember
ii) Make some tinware brackets to hold i/c
ii) bolt intercooler to crossmember with brackets
iii) Cut undertray to suit
iv) Cut a hole in front bumper

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find some help with pics for fitting the intercooler from the golf?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Am I missing something here? The pics and description I have just posted are for the Golf intercooler and pipework :confused:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Cheers mate! I owe you a beer!

If you get the time, I would love a couple of fitted pics too.

Am itching to get van on road now :)

Thanks again A:A:*<:)>

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Please excuse my trigger happiness in posting same question twice!

New to this game and my fingers are cold while I am sorting loom out in near artic conditions. If I were a rich man, I would be paying someone to do this while I watched from a distance and sipped champagne!!!

I:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Please excuse my trigger happiness in posting same question twice!

New to this game and my fingers are cold while I am sorting loom out in near artic conditions. If I were a rich man, I would be paying someone to do this while I watched from a distance and sipped champagne!!!

I:
No problem

Some design considerations when mounting your intercooler and cutting holes:

1. The opening in the bumper should be between 25 to 60% of the core area. This figure is both a result of the fact that in a completely open situation, less than 1/4 of the area of air 'hitting' the core would flow between its fins, and a smaller inlet tapering upwards towards the core will produce a low pressure area (slowing the air down), thus helping to 'suck' more air in and maximise the air-flow.

Conversely, an inlet opening tapering down towards the core will produce a high-pressure area, and consequently hinder airflow towards the intercooler core.

2. After leaving the intercooler, the air should be 'sped-up' or accelerated by being given an unrestricted path away from the core, thus allowing cooler air to come and take its place. In simple terms this means that the opeining on the back of the intercooler shouild be at least twice that of the front.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts