VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks again :)

I remember, in the good old days when I used to play with golf gti's I used to throw air at the air intake (guess its not alot different).

Am also going to create some sort of "scoop" on the wing of my van (when it's running), to do the same with the airbox.

Will prob do a front mounted intercooler at some point, but right now have spent enough.

Will prob be a couple of weeks before I reveal myself as a member of club tdi.

T:

·
Registered
6 Posts
could you list the part # for
engine mount -
sump of a (1.9td or 1.9d)from a t4
oil pick up of the t4 1.9d
oil dipstick tube and stick

dealers in canada don't list as not available here (converting 2.4d t4 to 1.9tdi- doner car 96 passat )

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
could you list the part # for
engine mount -
sump of a (1.9td or 1.9d)from a t4
oil pick up of the t4 1.9d
oil dipstick tube and stick

dealers in canada don't list as not available here (converting 2.4d t4 to 1.9tdi- doner car 96 passat )
Vagcat www.vagcat.com is up and running - you should be able to get all of the info you need there T:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I've spent half an hour searching but no look - can anyone provide standard 1.9tdi engine bhp figures?

I'm looking to have between 120 and 150bhp from whichever van i opt to go for, but if the 1.9tdi won't tolerate such gains then i will have to go 2.5tdi.

What is the normal sort of tuning done to these, just injectors and chips?
What sort of power output does this give?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've spent half an hour searching but no look - can anyone provide standard 1.9tdi engine bhp figures?

I'm looking to have between 120 and 150bhp from whichever van i opt to go for, but if the 1.9tdi won't tolerate such gains then i will have to go 2.5tdi.

What is the normal sort of tuning done to these, just injectors and chips?
What sort of power output does this give?
90 or 110 then you can have a chip todo 130.then bigger injectors etc......seen one guy has 270 out of his with lots of money spent

·
Registered
4 Posts
Q. Which donor cars and engines can be used?
A. Any of the VAG: Golf/Passat/Polo/Ibiza/Toledo/Octavia/Sharan/Alhambra etc. or Ford Galaxy cars with 1Z, AFN, AHU, and ALE engines can be used.
66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 202 newton metres (149 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm — 1Z, AHU
66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 3,750 rpm; 210 newton metres (155 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm — AGR, AHH, ALE, ALH
81 kilowatts (110 PS; 109 bhp) @ 4,150 rpm; 235 newton metres (173 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm — AFN, AHF, ASV, AVG
What about other listed engines? AGR, AHH, ALH, AHF, ASV and AVG ? Can i use any of them on my ABL to TDI conversion?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A. Any of the VAG: Golf/Passat/Polo/Ibiza/Toledo/Octavia/Sharan/Alhambra etc. or Ford Galaxy cars with 1Z, AFN, AHU, and ALE engines can be used.
66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 4,000 rpm; 202 newton metres (149 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm — 1Z, AHU
66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 3,750 rpm; 210 newton metres (155 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm — AGR, AHH, ALE, ALH
81 kilowatts (110 PS; 109 bhp) @ 4,150 rpm; 235 newton metres (173 lbf·ft) @ 1,900 rpm — AFN, AHF, ASV, AVG
What about other listed engines? AGR, AHH, ALH, AHF, ASV and AVG ? Can i use any of them on my ABL to TDI conversion?
Please read the thread fully :

Q. Will any of the newer/later VAG VE (Verteiler Einspritzung) (AGR/ALH etc.) or PD (Pumpe Duse) (ATD/ASZ/ARL, etc.) engines fit in the T4?
A. Anything will fit if you have the time and perhaps money...but the short answer to this is no as the oil filter housing and possibly some of the ancillaries will foul the radiator on a T4. Then there is the added complication with the sump (as the T4 engine leans forward at 27 degrees from vertical - most cars lean back at 15 degrees), exhaust, etc, etc. The electrical installation is also much more complex and is not plug-and-play as is 1Z/etc series of engines. The 1Z/AFN/etc. route is perhaps the easiest if you want to avoid custom fabrication.

·
Registered
35 Posts
vw Ahu Tdi engine and Gearbox Complete With Everything Needed For Conversion

I have been offered an engine to convert my t4 but after reading your post im unsure if i should take it.
Engine came from a seat cordoba tdi 90 bhp

Can you help?? ps if it helps i have added a photo of what i have been offered.

All the best Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great guide!
There's one thing I do not understand though. The first page "Shopping list" claims that swapping a 1.9tdi into a gasoline van calls for changing also the gearbox.

"If you have a petrol engined t4
* T4 Gearbox complete (from 1.9D/TD)"

Can someone please explain why?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Great guide!
There's one thing I do not understand though. The first page "Shopping list" claims that swapping a 1.9tdi into a gasoline van calls for changing also the gearbox.

"If you have a petrol engined t4
* T4 Gearbox complete (from 1.9D/TD)"

Can someone please explain why?
The Petrol (Gasoline) engine has lower ratio gears (which you can fix) than the diesel, so apart form ending up with a slow van there isn't a problem with it.

Easiest way to improve the ratio problem is to change the 5th gear

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Petrol (Gasoline) engine has lower ratio gears (which you can fix) than the diesel, so apart form ending up with a slow van there isn't a problem with it.

Easiest way to improve the ratio problem is to change the 5th gear
Thanks for the quick reply.
My T4 is a 2.4d Syncro with the Crawler option, so my 02D has a 5.313 final drive. Can't get much worse than that.
I've already done the fifth gear swap (0.622 from a T5 worked fine if someone ever doubted), but that's not nearly long enough even for the 2.4.

I'd love to go the TDI route, but in order to take advantage of the improved low end torque a significant change in gearing is necessary. The easiest way would be to start off with a complete box from a petrol Syncro, getting a 4.563 final. Hence my original question.

An alternative would be to transplant a 88hp TDI 02B diff into my 02D, but with that much work involved, I might as well try to fit even longer gears from a 02A. That would be in a different thread :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for bringing up this old thread again, but I'm sourcing the parts from a scrapped car 500miles away, and I need to be very specific about what I need.

Most items in the "shopping list" are clear even to me, but I'm still curious about the power steering parts and the coolant pipe.
" PAS pump, crank pulley, and belt from a1.9D/TD
PAS pump-to-rack hoses
Coolant pipes from a 1.9D/TD"

As far as I can tell the 1,9td has a V-belt drive (as opposed to a poly-v belt). Can't I just put a poly-v pully on the PAS pump instead of changeling the crank pulley?
Can't I use the existing pump-to-rack hoses from my car (in my case a 2.4d)?
Finally, are there several coolant pipes (I know if only one pipe bolted to the front of the engine block)?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the TDI conversion in my T4 ( eurovan in Canada )

used an AHU engine ....put a K24 turbo + ,216 injectors on it .....

engine bolted on the 02B gearbox without any problems ...
I needed an european 1.9TD motor mounts , oïl pan & strainer ....

what`s all this about needing a diesel gearbox ? in my country ,even the 2.4D has the same gearbox ratios then a gas engine
did find a .717 5th gear set that combined with my 4:61 r/p gives a decent 2700 rpm @ 110kmh/ 65 mph ....

at around 5000 lbs/2200kilos dont expect to get 2200 rpm like a jetta .....

I get constant 8.0L/100 .........very satisfied !

·
Registered
52 Posts
A. Any of the VAG: Golf/Passat/Polo/Ibiza/Toledo/Octavia/Sharan/Alhambra etc. or Ford Galaxy cars with 1Z, AFN, AHU, and ALE engines can be used. Be aware that the some earlier Audi and VW Passat B5 cars (with longitudinal engine configurations), although came with 1Z/AHU/AFN coded engines, the block casting for these differed. In short, this means that there may be some added fabrication of brackets. The best advice I can give is to avoid such engines if you are not sure if you are prepared to do such additional work.
Hi, I'm considering doing this conversion myself. To make if easier searching for a car with a suitable engine on eBay and auto trader etc. are there any specific years or mk's to look for. I don't want to go around looking at cars then checking for engine numbers to find out they are to new or old.

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you
Col

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi, I'm considering doing this conversion myself. To make if easier searching for a car with a suitable engine on eBay and auto trader etc. are there any specific years or mk's to look for. I don't want to go around looking at cars then checking for engine numbers to find out they are to new or old.

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you
Col
Mk3 golf 1.9TDI (will have engine code 1Z or AHU) most common

21 - 40 of 62 Posts