VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I read on page 3 that the AFN is also perhaps one the easiest if you want to avoid custom fabrication. It has 110 bhp. Does anyone know what car this can be found in and is it harder to fit than the 1Z or AHU.

Thank you
Col

·
Registered
646 Posts
If I was using an AFN I would be looking for a Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy as a donor vehicle, apparently the transverse configuration in these cars makes for an easier swap than the longitudinal AFN found in the Passat/A4. I wish I'd gone for an AFN but I fell upon an AHU at a price I couldn't refuse! I do however have a set of AFN injectors that will be going in T:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cheers for that. I just figured if I'm going to do a conversion I may as we'll go for 110 bhp rather than a 90 unless it turns out to be much harder to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Im about to do a conversion and need to know about the gearbox (hope this is the right thread?). I have a mk3 golf 1995 z1 1.9tdi and have chance of buying a 2.5 petrol 2000 t4 lwb, its' gearbox is a DQH. Can I still keep this gearbox, just change 5th gear ?? or do I need new box and if so how do I know what type to get. bit confusing and sooooo many threads on here hard to find.... Thanks.... a newbie !
Oh and how much does the average conversion cost, just trying to compare quotes I am getting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Im about to do a conversion and need to know about the gearbox (hope this is the right thread?). I have a mk3 golf 1995 z1 1.9tdi and have chance of buying a 2.5 petrol 2000 t4 lwb, its' gearbox is a DQH. Can I still keep this gearbox, just change 5th gear ?? or do I need new box and if so how do I know what type to get. bit confusing and sooooo many threads on here hard to find.... Thanks.... a newbie !
Oh and how much does the average conversion cost, just trying to compare quotes I am getting
I know it says get a 1.9d/td gearbox on shopping list on page 1, but have been told by a 'converter' that I dont need it !!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I know it says get a 1.9d/td gearbox on shopping list on page 1, but have been told by a 'converter' that I dont need it !!!!
Im in the same boat mate .
Im converting my 2.5 petrol carevelle shortly and it has the O2B gearbox in code is CCY (Final drive ratio is 4.611) when I looked at 1.9 td gearboxes they were DJZ (Also 4.611) and DQL (4.611) and CRM (4.941),So am I right in assuming I can use my original petrol box ,This would be really handy as ive also done the 5th gear upgrade last year too.
Hopefully someone can confirm.
Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
any 02B gearbox will fit

I did my conversion 3 years ago ( 1.9 AHU with K24 & ,216 injectors ) changed the 5th gear for a .717 .....still runs great ! 7,5L/100 kms

You can switch gear box later on .....If you wish !

Dan ,

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Just a quick one do i need the oil sump and strainer from abl engine on ahu conversion. due to opposite mount angel.

Jonathan
T4 sump & oilpumps pick-up pipe (can use the windage-tray / gasket thingy aswell) also T4 dipstick & tube (need to drill cylinder-block) and T4 engine mount & the driveshaft bracket. With the power steering pump use the T4's pulleys / belt but the alternator / water pump crankshaft pulley should be same as AHU so choose the better one

Rich.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: TDi Conversion

hii every one my name is auke and i am going to do a tdi conversion.
i have read alot in this forum sorry for my english there are a few questions if you all dont mind i have the
vw transporter t4 1.9td abl 68cv 1992/1994

1- what engine is the most easy to do (ahu-afn-1z).
2- the pedals from the 2.5 tdi is that te hole unit wil it fit witout moding it
3- can i use the original wire loom of the t4
4- wat needs to be done to wire up the beard computer
5- can i use the oil pan of the abl engine
6- can i use the valve cover from the abl engine
7- can i use the Drive shafts of the t4
8- wil the gear box of the t4 fit

if some one can give me info all is helpfull i realy need it
its my fhaters van and it broke down the engine and he needs it bad so anny help to get me
started wil be verry good thank you all verry mutch and hoop to heer you all soon thank you .

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Re: TDi Conversion

hii every one my name is auke and i am going to do a tdi conversion.
i have read alot in this forum sorry for my english there are a few questions if you all dont mind i have the
vw transporter t4 1.9td abl 68cv 1992/1994

1- what engine is the most easy to do (ahu-afn-1z).
2- the pedals from the 2.5 tdi is that te hole unit wil it fit witout moding it
3- can i use the original wire loom of the t4
4- wat needs to be done to wire up the beard computer
5- can i use the oil pan of the abl engine
6- can i use the valve cover from the abl engine
7- can i use the Drive shafts of the t4
8- wil the gear box of the t4 fit

if some one can give me info all is helpfull i realy need it
its my fhaters van and it broke down the engine and he needs it bad so anny help to get me
started wil be verry good thank you all verry mutch and hoop to heer you all soon thank you .
1- easiest are 1Z & AHU (same engine T: )

2- pedal & potentiometer bracket from 1996-1999 2.5tdi t4, should fit your pedalbox (obviously you're looking for left hand drive parts). Also, there's different pedalbox from 1996 so if you have a 1994 t4 then use your existing one with tdi throttle pedal.

3- if going 1Z/AHU tdi then use the donor cars engine wiring & all sensors, with slight work plugs into t4's fusebox in place of t4 engine loom.

4- as 3 above.

5- use t4 (abl?) sump / oil pickup pipe, engine mount & power steering parts.

6- no.

7 & 8 - use t4 gearbox & driveshafts.

Rich.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys I’m looking at doing this conversion I’ve found a complete Passat quite cheap and close to me I can use as a donor vehicle just wondering exactly what mods I’d have to do as it’s a longitudinal engine (my van is a 1994 with a 1.9D 1x), I was also thinking of getting an instrument cluster from an abl with a rev counter before I doing a conversion would the Instrument cluster work with the conversion or would I use the one from the the Passat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
Best look for transverse aplication: sharan/galaxy/alhambra, golf mk3/ibiza/passat b4 as a donor, they have been designed for same orientation as your van and as such 90% of the parts are there...

Also in addition to another post 1Z and AHU engines are not quite the same, they differ in valve stem size(8mm vs 7mm thickness), valve springs (early had double springs, later single), pistons (early had Alcon, later Mahle) and injector pumps variations- early run low case pressure, latter have strengthening ribs and run much higher case pressure...also injector size but thats too small of a difference... Best go with a later engine if possible...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Also in addition to another post 1Z and AHU engines are not quite the same, they differ in valve stem size(8mm vs 7mm thickness), valve springs (early had double springs, later single), pistons (early had Alcon, later Mahle) and injector pumps variations- early run low case pressure, latter have strengthening ribs and run much higher case pressure...also injector size but thats too small of a difference... Best go with a later engine if possible...
although they both have the same power & torque so no big diference...

getting engines is easy as they are fitted in many vag cars, getting the engine looms is a harder task as the 'easy' options (mk3 golf & B4 Passat - the easier of both) are getting rare now. donors like polo & sharron/alibaba/galaxy are a fiddle to knit the looms on a good day:rolleyes:

luckily, West Wales (where I live) is obviously a 3rd world economy as theres plenty of mk3 golf's around & one or two B4 Passats(y)

Rich.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts