VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so my TDi is complete, stick me on the list :D

But i bottled it and had it done for me I:

101K '96 Passat 1Z came up for sale at the right money on Brick Yard so I nabbed it.

Didn't have the time, tools or skills and use the van a lot so I didn't want if off the road for ages while I gaffed around and generally ballsed it up.

Chap that did it made an awesome job of it. Goes by the name of MadMatt on a couple of other VW forums.

The wiring loom looks factory and no warning lights or non-functioning items. The clutch was uprated to the VR6 variant while it was out as well.

Couple of neat touches:

My loverly IC ally and silicone piping...

A custom milled ally boss for the inlet temp sensor, ally welded into the inlet pipe...

The oil filler neck from the ABL grafted onto the rocker cover from the 1Z...

Airflow cut outs for the FMIC (Which is mahoosive, going to add some black mesh over these)...

Cruise Control was fitted at the same time.

Fantastic difference so far. My taller 5th Gear make motorways just loverly.

Looking at slightly bigger injectors and a remap to finish it all off, already a huge difference in drivability though. Keep thinking I need to change up a gear and looking down to see i'm already in 4th or 5th :ILU:

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not had mine on the rollers yet....but the 1z that went in should be good for 90 hosses in stock form. Adding decat pipe, egr delete and FMIC I am expecting 95 - 100. Post Remap I am expecting 120 - 130 as conservative estimate.

Think there are a few on here reliably running 150 plus...

·
Registered
88 Posts

101K '96 Passat 1Z came up for sale at the right money on Brick Yard so I nabbed it.

Didn't have the time, tools or skills and use the van a lot so I didn't want if off the road for ages while I gaffed around and generally ballsed it up.

Chap that did it made an awesome job of it. Goes by the name of MadMatt on a couple of other VW forums.

The wiring loom looks factory and no warning lights or non-functioning items. The clutch was uprated to the VR6 variant while it was out as well.

Couple of neat touches:

A custom milled ally boss for the inlet temp sensor, ally welded into the inlet pipe...

Airflow cut outs for the FMIC (Which is mahoosive, going to add some black mesh over these)...

Looking at slightly bigger injectors and a remap to finish it all off, already a huge difference in drivability though. Keep thinking I need to change up a gear and looking down to see i'm already in 4th or 5th :ILU:
Hi mate, looks spanking!!!

I have been thinking about a FMIC for my 88HP TDi, was warned against it due to turbo lag, do you get any probs?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ow much does it work out at?and is there any down sides to doing a tdi conversion..
Yes there is. You feel the need to drive it more and drive it more aggressively than before. So you end up in the shell garage more often.

In all honesty I'm so pleased with outcome of the conversion. It's like a new van, more powerful and better on fuel than before. Only took six days, of which, only two of those were full days. As long as you understand each step well enough before starting you shouldn't have a drama.

Do it, it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry chaps, haven't been on in while so just catching up.

I haven't discovered any downsides so far to the conversion. More power, better mpg, better Torque.

As for the turbo lag, the 1.9 is a bit smaller, but i don't notice any at all.

Lots of people have gone FMIC on here with good results.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi, I know its an old thread but how is the conversion 9 months on? Also , can you pm me details of cost and MadMatts contact as the only MadMatt i can find on Forum hasnt posted since 2008.

Cheers

T

Couple of neat touches:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi how much did it cost to have the conversion i am a lazzy and some thing like this is head banging
, not realy lazzy but have nowhere to do it just the garden not good for rain.
Looks smart like hope my van looks as good,
Jee A:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.