VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK im ready to put the clutch / flywheel onto my 1z conversion.
Most of you who have already convertes say use the Golf 1z clutch and flywheel so ive got a new 1z clutch kit but it doesnt look the same at the old setup i removed from the 1z (similar to this below)

The new clutch and pressure plate look exactly the same as this one (below) and my original T4 ABL flywheel is exactly the same as the one below.

So two questions
1) why doesnt my new golf clutch kit look like the original golf setup?
2) do i just use my T4 ABL flywheel with my new 1z clutch kit.

Hope to get some qquick help as ready to bolt it up, thanks in advance. T:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that seems to be what eveyone does, so do you think the clutch and pressure plate from picture 2 will bolt onto the original flywheel in picture 1 even though they dont look anything alike.

I borrowed this pic from Foxy`s convertion this shows his original 1z clutch and it looks nothing like mine in th etop pic :confused:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Anynody any suggestions this morning? :confused:
Your pic is a dual-mass flywheel. I didn't think they were fitted to 1Z/AHU, although they are listed for the last of the AHU Golf 3 variant (estate) which continued to be produced up until 2000 (i.e. after the saloon was replaced by the Mk4 in 1997/8). What was the donor?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its deffo not a dual mass. Think :confused: ive got to the bottom of this today, appearantly my donor car must have had one of those "push rod" type gearboxes like Mk2 golf. Ive checked ETKA today and if i go back far enough they do list 2 flywheels depending on which box it left the factory with, so mine must have been an early one so in theory i need a later 1z flywheel which im getting later so ill let u know.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Its deffo not a dual mass. Think :confused: ive got to the bottom of this today, appearantly my donor car must have had one of those "push rod" type gearboxes like Mk2 golf. Ive checked ETKA today and if i go back far enough they do list 2 flywheels depending on which box it left the factory with, so mine must have been an early one so in theory i need a later 1z flywheel which im getting later so ill let u know.
Interesting - outwardly it looks quite similar to the dual-mass I saw on a late AFN-engined SEAT a while back, but maybe not. I would be interested to know what the donor was and what year.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok got a flywheel sorted so project can press on, still no idea what flywheel i have donor ECU part numbers all say 1Z engine from a 1996 golf, the only thing i can assume is some one has fitted an old pushrod box /clutch / flywheel for some reason :*
caused me a headache

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found it on fleabay but it was from a local vdub garage / breakers / enthusiats and was advertised as a complete Mk3 Golf TDi 1z Engine loom etc conversion setup, the ECU part no is definatley from a 1996 Golf, it has MK3 clocks, chip, key, immobiliser and everything all checks out apart from this flywheel / clutch set up seems fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah it'll defo be from a Mk3 golf but i was thinking its last use might of been in a Mk2 golf conversion maybe. Hows the conversion going anyway?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts