VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed my injection pump belt today on my 2002 2.5tdi Acv after doing the cambelt a while ago.

Do you want a laugh ? changed the belt, double checked all my marks, started the van, running well, gave myself a pat on the back and went to clear up, only to then realise I had taken the old belt off and then refitted it :( picked the old one up off bench instead of new one I:

Anyway, new belt fitted now and seems to be running fine but VCDS is showing my timing at around 71 wheras it was 53 before which is the bang on figure.

Is there enough adjustment using the tensioner/idler to get it from 71 down to the magic 53 ish mark ? and which way does the idler pointer need to go to retard it, turned towards the back of the engine or back towards the front ?
Cheers in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Turn the fine tuning idler anti clockwise to retard.

You can do it with the engine running but watch those fingers rahhaahhhaaa.

:D

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that was a nice simple job for a change T: laptop on dash and adjusted it with engine running, reckon it was only a couple of mm anticlockwise on the static idler and it brought timing down from 72 to 55.

VCDS is now hovering between the 'dead on' on 'slightly advanced' messages, remember in a copy of the T4 mag it said these engines like to be very slightly advanced so will leave it at that.

Tensioner arrows remained lined up as well after adjustment.

·
Registered
260 Posts
couple of questions, on VCDS is the average timing (i think that is was it is called) you are adjusting? the other figure seems to vary a lot! if so mine is at 42, prob why is it running poo! but how does adjusting a static idle work for the rest of the rev range? also where is this screw thingy? sorry total newb to this pump timing business :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts