VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

421 - 440 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Right, have just got myself an AHU out of a Seat Inca (?) my van currently runs the 1.9D so am now on the look out for ABL bits (sump, oil lift, manifold, turbo with oil pipes and intake). Am now slightly concerned that my downpipe will not mate to this at all!
Know a good VW breakers for engine harness and ECU etc. Have plenty of time to get this done before christmas so will start modifying the block for dipstick and mount holes within the next few weeks.

Has anybody else done a 1.9D to TDi? I read i can use the original clocks, is that right?

Anyway, fingers crossed i'll have a van that can actually make it up hills with my bike in the back!!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Right, have just got myself an AHU out of a Seat Inca (?) my van currently runs the 1.9D so am now on the look out for ABL bits (sump, oil lift, manifold, turbo with oil pipes and intake). Am now slightly concerned that my downpipe will not mate to this at all!
Know a good VW breakers for engine harness and ECU etc. Have plenty of time to get this done before christmas so will start modifying the block for dipstick and mount holes within the next few weeks.

Has anybody else done a 1.9D to TDi? I read i can use the original clocks, is that right?

Anyway, fingers crossed i'll have a van that can actually make it up hills with my bike in the back!!
you can use the 1.9D (1Xcode) engines dipstick & tube aswell as engine mount / sump & pick-up pipe

also the vans power steering pump / brackets & pulleys

wiring is strait-forward, just remember to add the car's immobiliser (if fitted) &swap its key-'chip' over to a new cut key to fit the van's locks :cool:

I've tdi'd my '95 from 1.9D (1X) & have kept the car's turbo & manifolding by making my own downpipe, much neater than the factory set-up of the top-mount turbo & cheaper A:

I've also used B4 passat tdi dash cluster for the electronic speedo / rev-counter & MFA display (but you can use the van's cluster & cable-driven speedo without issues

if you want to use cruise control then you need the electronic speedo

good luck with it.

Rich.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cheers Rich.

Got the manifolds and turbo etc lined up through eBay for £180 delivered. Hopefully speak to a breaker tomorrow reference the loom, ECU and fuse box. The complete engine cost me £64 so i think i'm doing well at the moment!!

so hopefully in the next few weeks i can get the engine ready and the loom stripped and reduced.

Then of course document everything to go on here as a link. :ILU:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Right, so my complete engine with ancils wasnt complete. Seem to have a small opening where something has been removed just up and left from the filter housing. Theres also a female spade connector hanging in the same general area. What was it? :* Will the one currently fitted to my 1.9D will fit?
Just taking everything off so i can clean up the engine and probably paint the block so plenty of time.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Right, so my complete engine with ancils wasnt complete. Seem to have a small opening where something has been removed just up and left from the filter housing. Theres also a female spade connector hanging in the same general area. What was it? :* Will the one currently fitted to my 1.9D will fit?
Just taking everything off so i can clean up the engine and probably paint the block so plenty of time.
Got a photo? The opening might be the port for the crankcase vent pipe that leads to the valve on the rocker cover - I know that's in that area.

As for the spade connector, I'm assuming you have the oil pressure switch hooked up? If so, the other's for an oil temp sensor I believe. I've left that floating.

·
Registered
230 Posts

See if this works on m phone. So basically just behind the oil cooler there! There was a rubber protected spade connector on top of the filter housing. And an unprotected spade hanging there!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Turns out its the crankcase breather. Plastic formed pipe which is apparently prone to cracking. £10 off ebay.
Picked up the loom and ECU etc on friday. so hopefully can prep everything and start in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
an unprotected spade hanging there!
thats for the oil temp readout (part of the MFA display wiring, probably not in your loom :( well, not in most mk3 golf looms BUT if you had a B4 TDI Passat then you could also use their rev-counter dash cluster & MFA (also use the wiper-stalk & its sub-loom to the fusebox to connect)
Rich.

·
Registered
230 Posts
looks like it will continue to just hang there then!

Drilling the mount holes tonight and might have a go at the dipstick hole. And a bit more block cleaning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi im a bit new on the forum,
And i would like to know if a 2002 tdi 1.9 engine will fit my t4,
The golf engine is in mint condition and has only done 110k
I hope it can be done
Thanks jee

·
Registered
230 Posts
Confusion has kicked in. I'm converting from a 1.9D so my filter housing doesnt have the feed for the turbo. Gonna drill it and tap it and stick an insert in there! or should i use the housing off the TDi? figuring i should use the original one due to the angle it sits at etc?
Also as i didnt have a donor vehicle and have been getting parts from everywhere, i only have the N75 valve. What is the N18 item? Do i need them both? :*

The engine and gearbox are in now, going to be tackling the loom and pedals today as well as measuring and ordering the IC pipework.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well i guess i can be added to the list now as she runs. Still waiting for some pipework and a pedal and bracket.
Just need to tie down a few loose ends and i'll be racing porsches down the A12!!

I'd just like to say a massive thankyou for everyone else who has done the conversion and documented it. These have given me a template to work off and the comfort that other people have made it work has kept me going when i've been struggling. :ILU:

1994 SWB Panel van 1.9TDi rolling on 19's with a 60mm drop.:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
"hello gents
i finally finished the conversion but ive still got an airlock, the coolant is circulating cos i can see it in the header tank but from what ive read on the forum it seems to be a common thing that will clear itself eventually so im going to leave it , but i do have a serious flat spot in 2nd - 3rd gear where it doesnt seem to accellorate much, i put the wastegate back to normal and it made alot of difference in that before with it set to 8 turns it was being held back and was really slow, put it back to normal setting and the turbo was really noisey so i put the gate to 3 turns and it seems better and more drivable"

This was MARK300465 in post 342, just over a year ago; I'm confused. I thought the 8 turns( I think quoted by JJ) was the original setting? So, what is the "normal" setting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its time to put all the TDi conversion threads in one place to help others as its a bit of a mission to find information through so many lost threads. Please can all 1.9tdi owners log all your threads relating to your conversion work so we have them all in one place. This seems like a good idea because -

1 - Its a record of the number of conversions running
2 - All perspective new TDi conversions can find information easilly on a sticky thread in the engine section.

I will dig mine out and add Aggies masterclass thread to the first post also when its been colated along with Penbryn's genius links for the wiring side of things. I will add usernames to a list also to act as a counter.

Hope this helps some of you to find the information a bit easier T:

Project Power 1.9tdi Style! (under development)
Dashboard Cluster Information.
GENERIC CHIPPING THREAD.
Quick guide and shopping list.
CRUISE CONTROL HOW TO.
Andy's wiring loom checklist.
Andy's main dealer shopping list.
Pictures of some finished conversions!
Parts list for fitting Sprinter/LT intercoolers.

Any topics not covered, ask HERE!

TDI Conversions done (not in order).
1 - Aggie ORIGINAL AGGIE MASTERCLASS
2 - Penbryn WIRINGGENIUS1 WIRINGGENIUS2 IMMOBILISER GUIDE Overcoming wiring problems HOW TO
3 - Golfgtioz OZwireing thread
4 - Jimmyjames THREAD1 THREAD2
5 - Foxjay FoxyTDI thread Side issues thread
6 - Billybus. Billybus TDi Thread
7 - Tanjaz
8 - T4YLOR
9 - Juz
10 - Clarkey31
11 - Muley
12 - Dbug
13 - 800special
14 - T4 Zimbo. Zimbo conversion thread
15 - Willmason1975
16 - João First and only AGR conversion thread
17 - Cheekychappy84
18 - Mace - Mace conversion thread.
19 - Rixy - RIXY WIRING DISCUSSION - CRUISE CONTROL HOW TO.
20 - Mallott, Mallott conversion thread.
21 - Andyd, Andy's conversion thread.
22 - Milky
23 - Mr Matty
24 - West Stabbo Customs
25 - Dennis
26 - Swim-cap
27 - Martnsax
28 - T4Newbie

29 - RichG
30 - Pdubby - Conversion thread
31 - Terryhighvoltage - Conversion thread
32 - Lumoxs
33 - Cox4720
34 - Nickmarks73
35 - Vealmonkey.
36 - VWTom.
37 - Obsession01.
38 - SlowestT4ever.
39 - Armour.
40 - Village build thread
41 - T4Algarve - Build thread.
42 - Vdubz Build thread
43 - Roverp6
44 - Dennisont4
45 - Mot man
46 - Si-b
47 - andbd2009
48 - Stuholes
49 - Bre1146
50 - Robbie69
51 - Traversed build thread
52 - Wrongvanman
53 - Odannyboy
54 - Bam
55 - Tankie2ndrtr Tankies Conversion Thread
56 - LawAnderson
57 - fryer298
58 - Wayner007
59 - CamDub
60 - Siomac
61 - PaulAnton
62 - Nbsurf
63 - Chris09 Build thread
64 - Alpenweiss2 (professional converter in Telford, PM for details)
65 - Blowsey
66 - Flo the surfer
67 - MisterMelon Build Thread
68 - Theballexx
69 - Jamiegolf
70 - Spindoctor71
71 - Jonnyd4
72 - Tfore Build thread
73 - Colese
74 - Johnhoppi
75 - ijimbob
76 - tommib
77 - CrazyDiamond BUILD THREAD
78 - Seann500 BUILD THREAD
79 - Mark300465
80 - KN73
81 - Tarky
82- coru from Madrid

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi my name is peter just fitted T D I conversion from 1996 passat to t4 starts and driver great but glow plug light keeps flashing
cant seem to sort, it doing my head in flashing all time thanks peter

421 - 440 of 474 Posts