VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was already a member of team blue with my R plate T4 1.9 TD, but due to potential repair bills (maybe a cracked valve cover or head) took the punt and bought a V plate 2.5 TDI (102bhp) LWB Twin slider.

Bodywork looking pretty good - just need a few chips here and there sorted and a good polish, then on with the conversion inside.

Didnt really want a twin slider, but the factory fitted windows are good.

Cannot believe the difference in performance compared to my old van. It's like its got a rocket up its a.....!

Once I have given the engine a good clean up, and replaced the filters etc it should be even better. It's already done 190k but has a good set of reciepts for work done (recent clutch, cam belts, pump, springs, brakes pads etc etc). I did a 20 mile country drive followed by a 100 mile motorway slog yesterday and it drove really well. What a novelty overtaking people on demand (rather than carefully planning in advance!!)

Only thing I am going to get looked at is a bit of steering judder under heavy braking, and a tiny bit of judder through the steering wheel when driving at top speed (by this, I mean "70" of course your honour! T:).

I had a proper ear to ear smile on my face driving home. Dead chuffed!

What do you guys think (old one on the left, new on the right). I have no idea what "46" is for - that sticker will be removed shortly (anyone care to enlighted me?).

And my god there is a lot less room under the bonnet than I am used to!!!! :eek:

P.S> There will be a cheap 1.9TD for sale soon - once I transfer some bits over (like my rock n roll bed) etc if anyone is interested watch this space).

Oh - and it looks like someone ripped off the front TDI badge (no badge and small chunk of grill missing) - GRRR!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have done a bit of work on the new van over the past few days.

The plan is to turn it into a watersport (windsurfing/Sup) and camping multi purpose family machine.

My main focus is getting it "serviced" as although it runs well, it's not been done in a while.

I have replaced the cabin air filter (looked very manky) with a bog standard like for like swap. I have also replaced the air intake filter (which was also manly) with a K&N tray filter (I know that this is seen my many as a waste of money, but just fancied it!

The next plan is to replace the fuel filter as again I can't see any evidence in paperwork or visually that this has been done for a long time!

Luckily, cam belt, tensioners and water pump were all done recently, as was the clutch.

I dropped her off at my trusted local garage this morning to get the anti-roll bar bushes replaced (advisory on last MOT), an oil service and for a general inspection. Fingers crossed they give it the double thumbs up (I'm not expecting any surprises!).

I've also swopped over the indicator lights from my old van (so clear ones on the new one now!).

Finally, I started a bit of sound proofing/insulation last night - have gone with flash band to help deaden the panels a bit:

Followed by some recycled bottle insulation:

I'll also be adding a layer of foil bubble wrap to the back of the panel when I take it off again to carpet it later - just for that little extra!

Will try and do the other side tonight. Next job is to take the double seat out of the back (second row) and take the floor up. I need to get the floor done quite quickly so that I can get lino down, and get my Rock N Roll bed transferred out of the old van:

Question: I'm not doing any wiring in the short term - however, as I might add a leisure battery and a power hook up later, I think it's probably worth running any power cable under the floor that I might need later - just so I don't have to take the floor up again. Any thoughts what I should run under there (assuming when viewed from the rear, power hook up would be from left rear fake fog light cover and battery/consumer box etc will be on right hand side - with maybe a set of multi sockets (12v lighter style socket, USB and maybe a standard plug socket on the left hand side too). Or is it easier to run all these cables along the roof anyway?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any thoughts on my previous question would be appreciated!!! T:

Question: I'm not doing any wiring in the short term - however, as I might add a leisure battery and a power hook up later, I think it's probably worth running any power cable under the floor that I might need later - just so I don't have to take the floor up again. Any thoughts what I should run under there (assuming when viewed from the rear, power hook up would be from left rear fake fog light cover and battery/consumer box etc will be on right hand side - with maybe a set of multi sockets (12v lighter style socket, USB and maybe a standard plug socket on the left hand side too). Or is it easier to run all these cables along the roof anyway?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did more on "big blue" at the weekend. My old 1.9td has now gone, so more space on the driveway to get on with it!

The start...

I took the old bench seat and seat belt out (will be on the classified ads soon!) and then the old carpet went too.

After some arguments with stripped heads on some screws, I got the ply floor up - apart from a few stains it's in great condition so is going back down.

The floor was filthy - mud, dust, gravel, old screws, pencils, everywhere. But cleaned up well with minimal signs of rust etc.

The only bit of work was around the old holes that the seats which i removed (and the original seats which must have been taken out some time ago). There wasn't a lot in the way of rust here either, but i treated with a quick zap with a wire brush drill attachment, some kurust and then a rust preventing primer. See the grey patches in the second picture below. Once dry, i stuck some flashbamd patches over to help make the holes watertight too. Welding would have been better, but this should be better than leaving them as they were. I will probably do the same underneath too. Or will look at "tigerseal"...

So next, i added a load of flashband. Couldnt decide whether this was pointless, but thought it would be worth doing whilst the floor was up- as it isn't coming up again!!!

Then i added a load of silver bubbly wrap.

After a quick clean off, I managed to get the large single piece floor back in and all screwed down again:

Next step: vinyl flooring, then metalwork and wall panel carpetting!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Started carpeting the interior ply panels today.
This is the first time I've done it and I'm pretty pleased with the result. Just done one panel today, using blue MegaVanMats super stretch carpet. It took ages to remove the dodgy smelly cheap carpet from the panel before I could start- half the carpet backing stayed on the panel so a lot of scraping was needed!!

I'm going to do the metalwork too now I'm a bit more confident, then once the wall panels are up it's time to fit the R&R bed fromy last van.

Should be a busy day tomorrow!!

By the way, that oval shape that you can see in the top right isn't a bubble- there's a cut out where a speaker is mounted - that will be added when I refit the panel!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great, that's what it's all about, out with the family, great pics,
Lovely bus
Thanks- it's been a joy the past few days. Have driven about 700 miles since Sunday - a few days in the Lake District and now we're up in sunny Scotland on the east coast in Fife.

The van was really comfortable to sleep in - the kids wanted to sleep in the tent with my wife, so had it all to myself (well, and the dog on the floor).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
At the beach.

Where we belong!

We did over 1200 miles in our trip, and it drove beautifully all the way.

Economy wise - on the return trip, I did just under 600 miles from filling the tank to getting back home (and the fuel light only came on within the last 8 miles from home)- pretty happy with that!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's been a poor week since getting back from the trip. All was well on hols, but a few days after getting home the ABS unit went kaput pouring all the brake fluid everywhere.

I had the shock of my life when quoted £1200+vat for a new one, plus fitting. However, with a bit of searching and a bit or old fashioned luck, i managed to source a new one from Atlantic T4 breakers for £180 inc postage.

£170 labour later, its back on the road within a week.

More info here http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2573088#post2573088

The van needs a good clean this weekend - have been meaning to polish and wax her and since the trip she looks awful!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts