VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI EVERYONE!
This feed is the journey I will be taking for my newly bought T5 Kombi who ive called Mater! He is a 58 plate with 230k miles on the clock finished in Dark Grey.
Im a newbie to all of this so help from all of you reading will be greatly appreciated!
I hope you enjoy the journey I will be taking with this conversion as much as I will.
Thank you for reading!
Will.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've owned him for a week now as I purchsed him on the 28th August.
120 miles later he had arrived home, ready for a weekend of cleaning, inside and out.

Wash, wax and polish later. He has shined up pretty well! Few things to get sorted throughout owning him, rear bumper needs attention and a few scrapes here and there but all very solid.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weekend has now passed and I've done a few extra things to Mater. The rear bumper reflectors had been cracked along with the 3rd brake lights. I'd ordered smoked reflectors and brakes lights to replace them. The brake lights need more work than I would have thought as water had been able to get in and have rusted the pins inside the connector! Any tips to get them out or is that me buyIng new female connectors to wire up?

I've put the lights in place for now to keep the gap sealed, will return to this at another date. When the lights andbthe reflectors were popped out, they fell apart!!
I've also order sequential indicators to the van as well in replace of the bulb indicators.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Looks sooo much better now its shiney 👍 .
What have you got planned for the rear lights now that youve tinted everything else?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks sooo much better now its shiney 👍 .
What have you got planned for the rear lights now that youve tinted everything else?
Rear lights im thinking about upgrading to the t6 lights for the styling.
I've also seen this set of rear lights Im looking the like of.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great. Good luck with your build!
Thank you very much! Im justvwaiting for funds so I can get the ball rolling even more!
Selling the rear bench seats to one, make some room and as well get the ball rolling!
I've been told that the foam rubber under the rear bench seats can be taken out and sold, is this true? How would I go about removing it?
Will.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had some problems with my brakes with the front passenger brake overheating, including the wheel getting extremely hot after a journey. The most recent one was about 30 minutes or so of driving. There was a strange smell paired with it as well. The previous owner had the same problem with the drivers side front brake as a mechanics reports says the front pad was freed from the disc
My mechanic says new calipers will be needed for both fronts. Is this a good move? Im just looking at getting replacements of the same, should I upgrade the pads to Brembo pads and discs of the same brand and stay with the standard T5 brakes?
Ive seen a brake upgrade kit on Darkside development to a T5.1 2 pot kit, would it be worth the upgrade as ill be having extra weight in the back as its being converted to a camper.
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rear 2+1 seats are now out of the way and ready to be sold. Advertised on on Ebay, gumtree, shpock and Facebook so hopefully someone can pick them up! Any guides on how much I should let them go for? Ive got £600 on them for now but think I should go a little lower for a quicker sale!
How would I go about removing the flooring underneath the seats? Ive been told that can be sold also.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
The rails and the flooring is probably only relevant for use with those particular seats i'd have thought so it would have to go as a job lot for me .
The seats look more like something out of a minibus rather than something you'd find from vw .
Do they fold flat ?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rails and the flooring is probably only relevant for use with those particular seats i'd have thought so it would have to go as a job lot for me .
The seats look more like something out of a minibus rather than something you'd find from vw .
Do they fold flat ?
Ok, Ill keep that in mind, thank you for the help! The seats only partially recline and dont fold completely flat either. Ive ordered the correct tool bit to remove the floor cargo holding points so I can get it out correctly. I think you're right with saying they are from a minibus.
Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated!😁

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let the journey commence... :)
Im slowly getting around the smaller jobs. Got it all planned with my dad with where we will be starting! Gut the inside of just the floor, sort out location for leisure battery and all other electrical items. Possibly running a compressor fridge towards the rear of the van so wiring will be done to there. Once wiring is done, flooring will be next. Once floor is done, furniture, bed, storage and then work my way to the outside of the van!

·
Registered
268 Posts
having a plan in your head from the start certainly helps. I was a bit bull at a gate at the start, can’t remember how many times I had the seats out to do various jobs!
All good #infuriating #expensive fun though :)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
having a plan in your head from the start certainly helps. I was a bit bull at a gate at the start, can’t remember how many times I had the seats out to do various jobs!
All good #infuriating #expensive fun though :)
Im wanting to dive right into it but the money side is the one saying no!😂payday is only 2 weeks away! Im just making the most out of the waiting time to have it all planned and then charge right into it!
The excitement still hasnt left me, thats for sure!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gotta fit my leisure battery very shortly.
I'm another fan of home built interiors 👍
Will be looking at how you fit yours to see the different options of fitting. Ive only wanted to make the interior myself. The professional jobs and the flat pack build do look amazing but its just that achievement of knowing youve made it yourself.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts