VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

301 - 320 of 342 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Update from the last few days

Bad news, van won't start!😅 it's either the battery or the starter motor or solenoid hopefully. Since I've had the van back, it hasnt started first time, and then got progressively worse with taking three times to start. Now all it does is click when I try to start the van! The fans and lights on the dash all work and ive read ive had the same problem as someone else on the forum with a little searching. I'm going to try and jump start it later as it's stuck at the stables where the horse is😂 if that doesn't work, it eliminates the battery and then ill have a look into the starter motor! If it's the battery then I can try giving it a full charge to save me spending around £110 on a battery. Luckily if its the starter motor I can get one for £107 using eurocarparts, and fit it myself with help from the other half's uncle, mechanic by trade but also a truck driver so will be more than helpful with what needs to get done👍

Good news, new wheels have arrived safe and sound and will hopefully be on this weekend as well as brake calipers being painted at the same time, if the weather holds off!😝

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Managed to get van to start! Just gave the starter motor and solenoid a bit of a whack to free it.

Didn't start first time however but at least its home and I know what can be done to get it fixed for a temporary amount of time.

New one is ordered from Euro, can collect tomorrow and might ask a garage to fit, unless it's an easy enough job to get it done.

Main item on the agenda for tomorrow is get the new alloys on the van!!😝

·
Registered
327 Posts
Had to sort similar prob on my daughter‘s car, went to change starter motor but it was corroded terminal, quick wire brush up and was sorted mate. Hope it’s an easy quick fix, you deserve a bit of good luck!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Had to sort similar prob on my daughter‘s car, went to change starter motor but it was corroded terminal, quick wire brush up and was sorted mate. Hope it’s an easy quick fix, you deserve a bit of good luck!
Unfortunately it's hard to come by these days for me I think!😂
Tried putting the new wheels on tonight, both rear wheels are stuck on the rear hubs!😅
Off to halfords in the morning for a new car jack as I dont like using the 2 tonne one at all! As well I need to give the van a couple hefty whacks to move the wheels off tomorrow!

When will I catch a break with him!😂

Anyway, one wheel is on at least and here it is😝

Lowering springs is what has been recommended to me by the previous owner of the wheels, 50mm so I'm happy with saving a little bit of money on the suspension there and that closes the arch gap quite nicely as well!

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Good job, yea a nice subtle drop to fill those arches will look good.

I picked up a pair of these from halfords when i got my van. 3 tonne low level jacks, £240 for a pair on trade

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Good job, yea a nice subtle drop to fill those arches will look good.

I picked up a pair of these from halfords when i got my van. 3 tonne low level jacks, £240 for a pair on trade

View attachment 190187
Looking forward to having the arch gab closed, really needs it now!
Mine was the halfords own which lifted the van up with easy, £64 for that was brillaint for me! Isn't that one an online exclusive as well? That's all it came up with on the website.

Wheels look nice on Will, will be great when lowered
Cheers Tim, hopefully can budget it before we head off in the van for the first time!.

Yeah looks sweeter with the wheels 👍 .
Did you need to 'persuade' the rear wheels with the sledge ? :ROFLMAO:
Yes indeed, had to give them a few good whacks for them to actually come off! They were really suck on there!
Im happy the jack held the van up when I was whacking the wheels🤣

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
We have a 2 ton low level halfords special, small enough to carry in the van and as long as i only try to lift one corner at a time its fine. Much safer than the factory side jack

·
Registered
T5.1 t28
149 Posts
Nice wheels. Look good. I Bought my van it already was lowered 30mm with 20 inch rims on. Drives nice. Yours should drive well too once done. I've done bit today aswell, Seatbelts off some extra insulation in side panels and floor ready for lino tomorrow. That's it for few weeks then until seat goes in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Nice wheels. Look good. I Bought my van it already was lowered 30mm with 20 inch rims on. Drives nice. Yours should drive well too once done. I've done bit today aswell, Seatbelts off some extra insulation in side panels and floor ready for lino tomorrow. That's it for few weeks then until seat goes in.
It does drive surprisingly nice!much better than the 17s actually! I don't feel the bumps but it's a lot louder! As soon as music's on though I can hear them!
Luckily my van had all the lining and insulation done on the sides so I didn't have to go through the trouble of lining it all😁

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Vans back in the garage on Monday as I've found an oil leak, even though they had checked it over themselves only a week ago! Much of a check they did I think as the engine tray had a large patch of oil as well as a few drops on the drive yesterday morning! I didnt put the cover on after I sorted the starter motor in case it happened again.

Even more bad news, my other car has a small oil leak as well! What is going on with my luck!!😅

Other than that, forgot to put on yesterday, I've got side stickers on the van now too!

They have a VW badge towards the rear wheel.
I like how subtle they are as well with them being matte black, something for people to notice when they loom at the van, other than the huge alloys😂

·
Registered
T5.1 t28
149 Posts
It's all part of motoring unfortunately. It's how you deal with fixing them. Motors will always have issues. Yes I got bit more road noise with wheels bug could put floor insulation down and around arches. But good sound system and who cares. Looking at putting new exhaust on ours as bit knackered. Want a nice bit of a rumble but not to chav😀.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
It's all part of motoring unfortunately. It's how you deal with fixing them. Motors will always have issues. Yes I got bit more road noise with wheels bug could put floor insulation down and around arches. But good sound system and who cares. Looking at putting new exhaust on ours as bit knackered. Want a nice bit of a rumble but not to chav😀.
Im not bothered with the road noise and luckily the other car didn't have a leak, it was the van playing tricks on me leave oil spots all over the drive!😂 I need to update the interior in the cab, as well as the ICE but ill get to that another day😂
I want to get the exhaust sorted out as well, just don't know where to put it on the ever growing list😝
What's the other motor?
The other motor is only a little suzuki swift, big comparison to the van😂

·
Registered
T5.1 t28
149 Posts
I personally would make sure all mechanically sound first. Boring stuff but peace of mind. Then bling it. Nice swift. I used have a mark 2 gti golf which was near mint. Had amps and 1000 watt sub in boot. Awesome!. Nearly blew my ears out😆. Unfortunately at minute the second car is a little fiat panda. Does the job but man it's dull. But vans fun.

·
Registered
T5.1 t28
149 Posts
I'm selling roof bars off the van if it's of any interest. Makes look the part. I've just had roof done so don't use them.

301 - 320 of 342 Posts