VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
721 - 740 of 778 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
☝ What this man says, always copper grease bolt threads before tightening, 20 years never lost a wheel, a few marbles along the way though.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #724 ·
The I didn't know whether I should have done it or not.
I had been told to put casein on my aluminium dust caps by my mechanic so they don't get sieved on the valves, didn't know if it applied to the wheel bolts as well.
Never had bothered with anything on the bolts as they went in the threads nicely, till I tried the rusted ones I had! Then I thought I might need something in there to not have them seize!
Everything has arrived now too! Just waiting for a bit of spare time and a break in the weather now for me to get a move on with the wheels!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The problem is your torque settings are then against the grease and not metal to metal as intended so if you're using a torque wrench to tighten up you can end up stripping the thread as it reduces the friction between mating surfaces and your bolts/nuts will be overtightened.

Definitely put some under your ally dust caps - steel and aluminium together will cause galvanic corrosion and you'll end up pulling the valve out before that dust cap comes off.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #726 ·
Its finally happened!
The wheels are on the van at last!
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

Still undecided on the white wheel caps though, everyone but me is saying either go without or Matte black, I think ill go with the matter black eventually, and run them without for the time being.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Plant Bus Road surface Window Flowerpot

Front fitment
Tire Plant Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle

Rear fitment majorly lacking! And thats with 20mm spacers! Will need 30mm AT LEAST!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #731 ·
Definitely will go for matte black and then try and do a colour coded VW badge in the centre, just to push the boat out 🙈 and something to drive me crazy!😂

What size are the rims
The rims are 17", tyre are 235/65, went for the odd size to give extra load rating on the tyres.
Where did you get the spacers Will?
Reckon i'm gonna run devonports for winter and maybe send my gp's out for banding .
Spacers were from a seller on the old fleabay.
Did a little research on what spacers to use and these came at the best price with longer bolts included.
Looks like a 30mm set will be being ordered soon!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #732 ·
Another little goodie has came today, ordered from Bisfest a few weeks back!
Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille Hood
Plant Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Custom screen cover from rainbow screens!
As you can tell I like the Beatles, thought it was a great addition to add the portholes from the Yellow Submarine to a bright yellow background😜

More updates to come across this week as I'm am off so lots of jobs to do!🙈

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #735 ·
That screen cover is brilliant! Love it!! 😁

Definitely black centres - with colour coded VW logos... 😉
View attachment 197927
That looks awesome!! Thanks Split! I've got a think for colour coding everything!😂

I cant take all the credit for it, the other half thought it would have been a cool idea!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #736 ·
Another little update inside of the van making it feel a bit more modern.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Gauge

Let's not forget the fact the van looked like this last night!😂
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

My club hands over twisted the fan speed dial and made it come free from these clips
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas

They are hidden behind the circuit board and provide pressure onto this
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

There are 4 grooves where they click into to choose the fan speed.
As the dial is rotated, there are springed connectors to determine what number the fan speed is, there are connected as the dial is turned from 0 to 4.
It was an absolute nightmare as one of the pins had broke so comes out really easily now, cannot for the life of me find a replacement!

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Some nice additions there Will, definitely agree that matt black caps are the way to go, maybe a subtle yellow logo instead of colour coded?

Reactions: WillsT5Ted
721 - 740 of 778 Posts