VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
741 - 760 of 778 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 ·
So, I'm going back over and looking at the insulation for the van.
Half a job was completed by the previous owner as it seems.
Started sound deadening most of the panels but will need insulation, what brands are people using as I can just buy generic recycled plastic bottle insulation to stuff into the panels and then use the aluminium foil insulation ontop.
Just keeps me busy this winter, just involves me taking all bed and cabinet out of the van, again!😂

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #745 ·
Just gone and ordered some generic stuff for the recycled plastic insulation.
Plenty more sound mats and then aluminium foil to cover all the insulation to keep any gaps closed!
Fun times ahead getting all of that done and trying to find room for the bed and cabinets!😂
Might even think about redoing the bed to make it easier to stow away, all things flying around my head! Possibly V1.2!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I just used the generic recycled plastic insulation - works well and you can roughly tear it in half to make it thinner for the smaller cavities. No point spending over the odds for a named brand like DodoMat etc. for that kinda stuff. It all does the same job!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
I just used the generic recycled plastic insulation - works well and you can roughly tear it in half to make it thinner for the smaller cavities. No point spending over the odds for a named brand like DodoMat etc. for that kinda stuff. It all does the same job!
Very true, ill leave the branded stuff for more important things, saves me a few quid in the mean time!

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
I bought recycled plastic from B&Q (other do it yourself companies are available), as Split says it's dead easy to rip down to fit smaller cavities. I've still got at least half a roll left that will go into the barn doors and any other places I can find. Makes a big difference with reducing road noise alone, let alone keeping the heat in.

As for your centre caps, personally think it'll look better with them fitted, cleaner look, plus who ever really wants their nuts on show :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: WillsT5Ted

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
I bought recycled plastic from B&Q (other do it yourself companies are available), as Split says it's dead easy to rip down to fit smaller cavities. I've still got at least half a roll left that will go into the barn doors and any other places I can find. Makes a big difference with reducing road noise alone, let alone keeping the heat in.

As for your centre caps, personally think it'll look better with them fitted, cleaner look, plus who ever really wants their nuts on show :oops:
I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the sliding door only had 2 pieces of insulation in it! Guess it's my fault for not checking and realising the importance, call me a novice!
Had the van a year and already know and have found out a fair share about these vans and camping life!

Ill add the centre caps onto the still growing list of jobs to do!
Really need some space in the workshop now!😂
Bumper needs to go and the alloys!

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the sliding door only had 2 pieces of insulation in it! Guess it's my fault for not checking and realising the importance, call me a novice!
Had the van a year and already know and have found out a fair share about these vans and camping life!

Ill add the centre caps onto the still growing list of jobs to do!
Really need some space in the workshop now!😂
Bumper needs to go and the alloys!
You and me both, I was sold that mine was fully lined and insulated but when removing a panel found a manky old towel over the wheel arch :sick: Insulation it did not make, so stripped the back and full insulated. We all live and learn mate (y)

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #751 ·
You and me both, I was sold that mine was fully lined and insulated but when removing a panel found a manky old towel over the wheel arch :sick: Insulation it did not make, so stripped the back and full insulated. We all live and learn mate (y)
I bet that was a strange sight to see!
Why they thought a towel would be good to use as insulation, I never know!😂

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
I bet that was a strange sight to see!
Why they thought a towel would be good to use as insulation, I never know!😂
T'was a tad unexpected yes!

There's a few things I've seen done to cars and vans that have quite simply baffled me, but can always take pleasure and pride in knowing you've put it right (y)

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #753 ·
T'was a tad unexpected yes!

There's a few things I've seen done to cars and vans that have quite simply baffled me, but can always take pleasure and pride in knowing you've put it right (y)
I think with everything I've been through, I'm definitely wanting to EVERYTHING right!
Its definitely been a labour of love thus far

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #756 ·
Well, the checking and redoing of the sound deadening has begun!
This will be mainly picture heavy as everyone knows what happens here.

Moved cabinet behind drivers seat out of the way and removed the ply cover, only to find, a solid wall of carpet!😂
And you probably guessed it, no insulation whatsoever behind it!
Wood Window Floor Flooring Hardwood
Vehicle Automotive tire Car Trunk Vehicle door
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Tints and shades
Motor vehicle Plant Automotive tire Sky Wood
Couch Window Plant Wood Automotive tire
Property Furniture Rectangle Wood Chair
Property Window Leaf Wood Interior design

Stuffed to high heavens with insulation and then all back together again! That side now sounds solid when I knock it!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #757 ·
Sliding door next, stuffed that to high heavens as well, already sound deadening from before when I did it a couple weeks back.
Chair Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Moved onto barn doors as well as I had the time and a little insulation left over from the first 8m roll!
Plant Analog television Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Drivers side
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Passengers side.

Ran out of alli tape so couldn't seal them up, will get some of that tomorrow and then ill be able to carry on with the rest of the doors.

Still to do is the last half of the van but that means the bed and other cabinets will be coming out as well as a bit of cutting to deaden the upper sides as they have lined over a board on both sides.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere not to cram the apertures silly, best to let them breathe a smidge. Although I could be wrong.

It is a rewarding job though, and makes such a difference to road noise alone (y)

741 - 760 of 778 Posts