VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1065 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,022 ·
Got a bit to update after the silence of the last couple of weeks.
Started the change the cab area slowly with making some covers for the sunvisors. Had some left over suede liner from when I did the roof in the rear.
Cut out the outline of the mirror and started sewing! God it was tedious but finished with an half decent result
Wood Musical instrument Floor Flooring Musical instrument accessory

Motor vehicle Vehicle Black Automotive lighting Automotive mirror

You can just make out the seem where I was stitching! I'm far from the best at sewing as the last time I did it was at least 8 years ago!😂
I've been looking a a few different types of the tartan print to see what I can go with as I dont want to use the same print that I have already, I'm not too sure but I'll need to have a discussion with the design consultant (the other half) about that!😂

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,023 ·
Another job I've managed to do as well was the calipers!
The rears were looking tired from the first time around painting them white, I didn't do the best of jobs with prepping them the first time around.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Aircraft Motor vehicle Plant

Decided to go with yellow at last! Definitely should have done this colour to begin with! Really pops behind the wheels! I had some 3 coats on the rear as well as a good wire brush on my drill to get the rust of and a bit of Kurust to harden any rust and just prep the surface. 2 coats on the front as these were new calipers 2 years ago so not much ageing on them at all as they were painted within a couple of months!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Couple of shots of the brakes behind the wheels, also the addition of the Lego brick dust caps. Just to add a little bit more of a personal touch!(also to show that I like Lego😂)

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,024 ·
After reading a post by @Chenowth Nik , I had decied to do the same and check behind my front wheels arch liners. This is what was hiding behind arch number one! Unfortunately if knocked it all off before I got the picture but you can see how much there is on the floor!
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Bumper

I've started to get the signs of rust behind there!
Tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire Window

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim

Now I would say that it is surface rust as it looks a lot worse on pictures than in person. The rust that's peeling off is attached to something, I think some of the sealant and the rust on the panel is definitely surface only!
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire

I gave it a first layer of Kurust, then realising that I won't want to be in there again, I'd want to do a better job of it at least!
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tread

I didn't want to pick off what the rust was attached too just in case I take off more than I should as it's a bit out of my depth knowing what should be where in this part of the van! At least to sorted for a bit now, I'll have another look when I change to the winter wheels in a couple months.

·
Registered
T5.1 LWB 4Motion T30
201 Posts
Yes mate it looks like the ‘peeling’ rust to the right of the shot is where the seam sealer placed over the joint between the front wheel arch panel seen from inside the door opening and the upright inner wheel arch panel meet has come away.

where the rust has bubbled it appears to have pulled the surface that the seam sealer it is adhered to away with all the rust remaining on the back of the now detached seam sealer material. It needs cutting off really as it’s serving no purpose now it’s off, just a place to trap more moisture.

I used the same rust eater (ku rust and locktite are the same I understand, like a thin milky liquid that goes blue/black once it’s done it’s job).

It needs a top coat over it asap really, I used some black epoxy 121 on mine from rustbusters (eBay or their own site), I can colour coat over that later if I feel the urge, but don’t need to necessarily. I’ve used it for years and it awesome stuff, not cheap but it goes miles, you’d do that area with a teaspoon of each part a and b.

You could reinstate the seam sealer too if you wanted to (it’s paintable), but if the panel beneath the area where the seam sealer has detached is sound when you cut the old stuff off with the rust bubbles on it, the epoxy is quite thick and may well do the same job with a couple of coats.

hope this helps.

Nik.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,026 ·
Yes mate it looks like the ‘peeling’ rust to the right of the shot is where the seam sealer placed over the joint between the front wheel arch panel seen from inside the door opening and the upright inner wheel arch panel meet has come away.

where the rust has bubbled it appears to have pulled the surface that the seam sealer it is adhered to away with all the rust remaining on the back of the now detached seam sealer material. It needs cutting off really as it’s serving no purpose now it’s off, just a place to trap more moisture.

I used the same rust eater (ku rust and locktite are the same I understand, like a thin milky liquid that goes blue/black once it’s done it’s job).

It needs a top coat over it asap really, I used some black epoxy 121 on mine from rustbusters (eBay or their own site), I can colour coat over that later if I feel the urge, but don’t need to necessarily. I’ve used it for years and it awesome stuff, not cheap but it goes miles, you’d do that area with a teaspoon of each part a and b.

You could reinstate the seam sealer too if you wanted to (it’s paintable), but if the panel beneath the area where the seam sealer has detached is sound when you cut the old stuff off with the rust bubbles on it, the epoxy is quite thick and may well do the same job with a couple of coats.

hope this helps.

Nik.
No that's been really helpful so thank you very much for that! Definitely will be a job for the weekend! Make the most out of the nicer weather anyway!

Just had a look at that rustbuster and you're right with it not being cheap! Luckily I've just sold my bench seat so that will pay for it as well as a couple more goodies for the van hopefully!

Again, thank you for the help with that, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
T5.1 LWB 4Motion T30
201 Posts
No problem. £50 for 1L is pretty meaty eh.

To give you an idea, I bought a 2.5L ‘kit’ of epoxy 121 (1L part A colour, 1L part B and 500ml of epoxy thinners), it did two coats on the whole chassis on my splitscreen van, two coats over the whole floor and seat bases on the same van, two coats on my 6 x T5 steel wheels and other sundry items along the way.

I just bought a 1.25L kit (half quantities of above) as I want to do my sills etc on the T5 and I mixed up literally 3 x teaspoons of each part A & B with no thinners and ended up letting half of it go off in the pot after painting both front jacking points and an area probably 6 to 8” around them, so it goes a long way.

It cures so hard that having it on my off road steel rims for over 10K miles it never even chipped.

Requires no primer, or undercoat, can be left as a top coat, or overpainted once cured and does an effective job of sealing air and moisture out of the surface, even over existing rust so halts the oxidisation.

If the weather is cooler, it needs standing in hot water to thin it down enough to use and the solvent in it eats normal gloss rollers for breakfast, but overall it’s never let me down.

I don’t work for them, or get any free product or anything, I just think it’s worth helping people out with stuff that actually works, when so much in this world is so disappointing and when it doesn’t quite work like it should, the manufacturer ‘customer shames’ you for not following the right process, or some such other tosh that no one can prove either way.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,028 ·
Wow it definitely does go a long way by the sounds of that! And saying that about your steel wheels, I've got a set of steels for my car I could probably have a go at doing as they'll be my winter wheels!
The van will be done this weekend as I've got a 1.25l set ordered!
I think behind the wheel arch I'll leave it as is, just because I won't be seeing it!

Again thank you for the help, really appreciated 👍

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Nice work Will. I've used POR-15 products before for similar kind of rust-prep and painting. Cheaper than the stuff Chenowth mentions (which I'm sure is equally as good), just thought I'd give you another option. I usually get mine from Frost Automotive and you'd only need the smallest tin (£13.99)... POR-15 or you can get a 'POR-15 starter kit' which includes some degreaser/cleaner, the metal prep and the paint for about £25.
To quote the Frost website : "POR-15 Rust Preventative can be sprayed or brushed on to provide a rock hard, yet flexible, non-porous coating that will not shrink, peel, or crack. It is totally resistant to road salt, petrol, battery acid, etc., and actually dries harder in humid damp conditions. Ideal for suspension and chassis protection, and you can apply a topcoat of any finishing paint."

It's fantastic stuff - I did the whole underside of my old splitty with it years ago and it was still rock solid and like new 7 or 8 years later when I sold it.
The good thing with it is you can actually paint it directly on to rust as it'll convert it as it cures, however I use POR-15 Metal Prep first which is a similar type of product to Kurust (only better in my opinion). It works like an etch primer as it dissolves the rust and leaves a Zinc Phosphate coating which you can then apply POR-15 painted over the top.
You can paint over the POR-15 if you want/need to but for behind the arch liners it'd be fine just left black.
Just make sure you wear gloves /long sleevs when applying it as it DOES NOT come off even with heavy scrubbing. You'll be stuck with it on your skin for about a week! (ask me how I know! 😂 )

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,030 ·
Again thank you for that H, more food for thought! I guess everyone has their personal favourites and go too's don't they with their own experiences!

(ask me how I know! 😂 )
I had asked what happened with the mini so it's only polite to ask again!😂
Why did it take week to get it off then?😂

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
It just does - it literally stains your skin and no amount of thinners or white spirit etc. will get it off!! 😳
I'd been working on the entire underside of my old crewcab for a couple of weeks going over the whole thing with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, removing old paint and surface rust so by the time I was ready to treat it with the POR-15, I just wanted to get it finished so I was working on it late into the night every night, which meant visibility wasn't great and the odd drip or two may have got on my hands, down my sleeves (working on your back as you do!) and smeared across my forehead from inadvertantly scratching my face 😂

Only made that mistake once. Had to go to work for a week looking like I was in a zebra fancy dress contest!

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,032 ·
More to update today!
Rustbuster had arrived yesterday so today I had free time to tackle a few bits on the van.
First off was getting the Kurusted areas painted over with some of the Epoxy stuff, Rustbuster.
Wood Gas Tints and shades Metal Concrete

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Fender

Removed the rust in the seam sealer, I just removed it altogether, you can see at the top of the second picture where I stopped removing it.
Wire wheeled once again to get rid of the loose rust and then a layer of Kurust.
I mixed up literally 2 tea spoons of either compound and it was more than enough.
Automotive tire Wood Stairs Floor Flowerpot

First side done, I didn't completely drown it on this side as I didn't know how much I would have needed to use on the other. I knew this was the worst side however. Dabbing the epoxy on was better than using brush strokes.
Automotive tire Wood Tread Asphalt Road surface

Went mad with the second side to use up the mixture. I did wire wheel some more on this side due to bubbles underneath the paint only meaning one thing. Kurust and then the epoxy and now hopefully this will hold up for a while now!

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,033 · (Edited)
The first job took quicker than I was expecting, time for more customising rather than prevention maintenance!
I had been searching for a different style of yellow tartan over the GTI style as its just so expensive and it's mainly black, not yellow! Etsy came to save the day as I had found a nice pattern both me, and the partner were happy with!
Plant Outerwear Flower Blue Leaf

This being the first one, I did it as if I was lining the wood for the lining which did not help at all! As you can see if a bit skuwiff but that'll happen due to it not being stretch material so I'm my own worst enemy in that respect!😂
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

It was easy getting the panel out, putting in was a bit more of a challenge! But it's in and looks great, now for the next side. I tried to do it a bit at a time from the side with the vent first, went on more smoothly without having to tear it off to get a crease out.
Sky Plant Cloud Building Hood

Again not 100% percent straight but it was a better job than the first! Always learning the best techniques!
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Light Automotive design

The cabs getting somewhere now, from less commercial to more camper!
Later on after sorting the horses out and leaving my keys with the horses, I managed to do a little bit more of the tartan.
Motor vehicle Tree Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive wheel system
Car Plant Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle

I managed to wrap the airbag cover and side piece. I had to do it in situ rather than taking it out due to the mesh holding the panel in place, I just had an old envelope to stop over spray on the dashboard (this still happened!)
There is more material on the way to carry on with the updating of the cab!

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
My mate gave me some advice on trimming stuff years ago and said NEVER to use anything tartan or anything with stripes because its a nightmare to get straight :ROFLMAO:
We completely ignored the advice and went for tartan seat cushions :LOL:.
I'm not brave enough to try to tackle tartan door pockets but watching with interest (y):geek:

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,037 ·
I was the idiot that wanted the tartan pillars😂
I'll be following what H did on his thread so hopefully all will go well, should be a nice mix of them both! We've got black suede for the front face of the door cards and then the tartan for the pockets.

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
What H has already achieved looks cracking and gives the rest of us a bit of hope that you can take a commercial vehicle and make it more 'leisure cruiser' feeling :cool:.
Even the motorhomes that we've been looking at for ages 9 times out of 10 are based on commercial vehicles but retail at anything up to £130 grand still have that commercial edge to them with just odd bits trimmed in posh cloth which makes things much nicer .

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Loving the cab retrim Will! Cab mat looks really smart but mostly well done on the tartan! I don't think my patience could cope trying to get it straight! 😂
Just be aware for your door cards - one that they're a PITA to separate and put back together, but secondly that you'll also need a really good stretch to neatly cover the handle recesses (mainly the main door grab handle). My advice would be to lay your stretchy suede loosely over the handle area first so you can get it stretched and glued into the recess first, then work the rest of the door card from there on outwards.
If you're wanting to put tartan around the door release handle, you might need to cut a hole in it if your tartan fabric hasn't got much stretch to it, and just fold it back / stitch a seam around the recess. The good thing is the lever can be unscrewed from the back of that section which makes trimming/painting etc, much easier!

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,040 ·
Right guys, I'm truly knackered after today and haven't even had chance to check up on here!

Thanks BT and H for the comments.

H, really helpful stuff you've said mate, if only I hadn't been so set in on getting stuff done today, I would have checked the forum! Yet no notification for me so I was none the wiser! Thank you for taking the time with the post, appreciate it!

Unfortunately, I have no pictures to show just yet! It's not like me to do it but I've been a topsy turvy day as we have planned a day trip to barmouth tomorrow, last minute trip dot com or what! So up early to get there for a decent time! It meant I was crushed for time but, and its a big but!
Both the door cards and the headliner are done and back in the van! I know why I almost put my back out last time, I didn't even remove all the clips from around the edges!😂 I did this and it came off right away! The door handles were fiddly to get off but all good! And how's this for good, only 1 out of the 12 clips broke! It could have been bone but me and my club hands know how to break things!😂 I did the door cards without taking them apart, of course they were out of the van but I had faith in myself to get stuff done, as well with my partner we blasted through the headliner together! She really enjoyed it!
Earlier in the morning whilst she was getting ready, I got the door cards off and installed the speakers I had bought ages ago! Finally we have clear sounds for us to enjoy on the way to Barmouth!
Was testing them out with different songs, lots of base but the sub takes care of most of that, even then, the sound was still clear through the bass off the speakers! Not bad for a set that are actually smaller than the stock speakers!

That's enough blank waffle for now, just thought I'd catch up. Sorry for no pictures but will definitely get some tomorrow at some point!🤙

1021 - 1040 of 1065 Posts