VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i had a few probs the wk end whilst trying to cure a leak on my 1.9td. After replacing the hose housing attached to the engine i develpoed a strange non -start. Any way i replaced the sensor which talks to the glow relay and it seems ok now. My questions are..
1- the gauge on my dash shows the engine temp getting to temp really quick, even before the blowers get warm.. is my other sensor duff?
2- since replacing the coolant ( ihave used a high mix on coolant) i can smell it in the cabin, is this normal>>?
3 - on the 1.9 does that other sensor alter engine idle rpm? ie some kind of choke? as mine seems to run at higher revs than others ive had..

thanks so much guys.. This is such a good forum with great members...

craig.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
hi guys,

i had a few probs the wk end whilst trying to cure a leak on my 1.9td. After replacing the hose housing attached to the engine i develpoed a strange non -start. Any way i replaced the sensor which talks to the glow relay and it seems ok now. My questions are..
1- the gauge on my dash shows the engine temp getting to temp really quick, even before the blowers get warm.. is my other sensor duff?
2- since replacing the coolant ( ihave used a high mix on coolant) i can smell it in the cabin, is this normal>>?
3 - on the 1.9 does that other sensor alter engine idle rpm? ie some kind of choke? as mine seems to run at higher revs than others ive had..

thanks so much guys.. This is such a good forum with great members...

craig.
Sounds like you have an airlock mate or dodgy thermostat. Did you open the screw in the small pipes going into the bulkhead when you were filling it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes mate, i did the coolant was coming out of there just fine and ran it. Somet must be wrong though as when i fully drained it only about 4 litres of water came out. I took the very bottom hose off on the water pump housing/thermostat. Any ideas??

·
Registered
131 Posts
possible thermostat fault, will warm up engine temp quick if not opening, and will not let all the water out either.
check thermostat by putting it in hot water if it opens cool, if not replace it. also watch it open sometimes they can twist if there is a faulty spring..T:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Ok mate, thx fir the info. Are they easy to remove?
Craig
Yes mate it is at the front/left of the engine behind where the metal coolant pipe bolts onto the engine.
If you filled it correctly and not loosing coolant it will be the thermostat at fault.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes mate it is at the front/left of the engine behind where the metal coolant pipe bolts onto the engine.
If you filled it correctly and not loosing coolant it will be the thermostat at fault.
I'm sure I filled it correctly. I felt the pipes going onto the rad this morning after a journey, the top pipe was hot but the bottom was only just warm. If the pipe to the rad is hot does that not suggest the thermo is working but the rad is blocked?

Cheers.

Craig

·
Registered
131 Posts
there shouldnt be a distinctive diffrence in temp between the pipes if the thermostat is opening fully, you will also get heat transferred from engine through the water even if thermostat was not opening. testing it is the easiest way before your engine boils dry. good luckT:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi mate thx for reply. No I haven't checked pressure etc, how do I do that? My only query is to why it's not overheating. It stays on half all day. Even motorway or stop start journeys. Reallystrange. Any ideas to that? I'll change it the wk end anyway, only 12.50 plus coolant again, lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi peeps!

it continues! :(:(
I have changes the stat today and also flushed through the rad ( backwards) all is clear. I took the van up the dual carriageway and nailed it there and back twice.
I came back to find that the bottom pipe off the thermo was still cold... surely its hot enough for it to open?? what temp is it supposed to open at? I find it hard to belive that its open and the rad is making it that cold!
What to do next?? I suppose checking the water pump>? it comes back into the expansion tank really fast under revs so it seems surprising to me that its no good.. also im not getting overheat, just no hot pipe from thermostat?!?!
The rad does get a bit warm though, but im guessing its the heat transferred from the top pipe off the engine side as that one gets really hot!!

Help please!!!!

craig

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just checked my mates 2.5 tdi. His is pretty cold too... must be a charectoristic of the t4.... phew!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts