VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just come back from Cardiff and about halfway through my journey, there is a lack of response from the accelerator. This has happened before & seems to occur at motorway speeds. I can be cruising in 6th gear at 70 or 80 and the vehicle won't accelerate. If I floor the pedal and drop a gear or two, the revs increase & I may get a slight increase in speed, but there's a serious lack of response, almost as if there's a speed limiter. I pulled into the services, got a coffee & the fault disappeared. This has happened a couple of times before, always at high speed and it always cures itself by stopping and starting.

Luckily, I wasn't overtaking at the time, but it could have been dangerous in a different situation.

ANY ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. The car is a 2002, 1.9 GT TDI 130.

Thanks, Al.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My W reg Passat does the same thing now and again - it's over boosting and goes into limp mode. If this happens on the motorway I wait till it's safe and put my foot on the clutch, switch off and then on again and the fault goes. I live with it because it doesn't happen often but on some journeys it happens time after time, then goes away for ages. Must be a sensor or valve sticking. Passat goes brilliantly mostly and I get 52 to the gallon.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm going to say limp mode from overboost as well.

I've the same issue with my PD130 Golf and I think it's due to a boost leak (MOT advisory did mention a leak in intercooler hoses); no to mention the immense drop in mpg.

What's the mpg been like since you've noticed it?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
We had very similar with ours and it was a injector, best get it on a scanner to find out.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine has started doing the same thing every time I start up. I can rev when stationary no problem but as soon as I move away will rev to about 1000rpm with foot flat to the floor and stay like that for ever, as soon as I take foot off the throttle and drive its perfect till I turn off again:*
1.9 TDI 1Z

1 - 8 of 8 Posts