VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Special Rapporteur
8,526 Posts
I guess you mus mean an engine coolant temperature gauge?

Yes you can - the data is logged by the engine management system, so the simplest way is to read it out of the OBD port - but there are other ways to do it. Changing the instrument cluster is not at all an easy option, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Triffic, I was planning to fit an aftermarket water temp gauge in a pod on the dash, and was wondering where to take the feed from?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,526 Posts
The simplest way (that I use) is a £3 OBDII reader in the diagnostic port and a small tablet (or phone would do) attached to the dash right hand side, showing temp, among other things via Torque (an Android app). I wanted to avoid an aftermarket gauge, because I didn't want to drill big holes in the dash or have any pods sticking up from the top of the dash.

The photo below was a previous instance, based on a HUDL, but it died after a couple of years and I replaced it with a similar Lenovo tablet which has a better display. The dial bottom left (showing 94 degrees) is a bit difficult to see in that photo. In the latest instance I've configured it as the same size readout as all the others to be easier to read.

If you want something smaller and easy to fix then Scangauge is an option, though to me they are expensive for what you get.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The simplest way (that I use) is a £3 OBDII reader in the diagnostic port and a small tablet (or phone would do) attached to the dash right hand side, showing temp, among other things via Torque (an Android app). I wanted to avoid an aftermarket gauge, because I didn't want to drill big holes in the dash or have any pods sticking up from the top of the dash.

The photo below was a previous instance, based on a HUDL, but it died after a couple of years and I replaced it with a similar Lenovo tablet which has a better display. The dial bottom left (showing 94 degrees) is a bit difficult to see in that photo. In the latest instance I've configured it as the same size readout as all the others to be easier to read.

If you want something smaller and easy to fix then Scangauge is an option, though to me they are expensive for what you get.

Have you a link for the reader and software you use? T:

·
Registered
385 Posts
they have oil warning lights and people still seize their engines. giving them something else to look at just adds to the confusion I:

Need to pay extra for the temp gauge, had the same on our new polo. Did not even accure to us that it would not come with one. seems absolutely daft but there you go. :*

There will be a warning light and bong if it starts getting too hot T:

·
Special Rapporteur
8,526 Posts
Agreed - the van will tell you pretty quickly if it's getting too hot - probably quicker than you would notice looking occasionally at a gauge. But a gauge is useful on a van with a DPF, because on shorter journeys it gives you an idea of whether the engine is hot enough for it to regen if it needs to.

Have you a link for the reader and software you use? T:
If you put "Bluetooth ELM327" into Ebay's search, you'll find any number of them. Sort the results by "lowest price + P&P" and then it's either £2.30 from HK/China or £3+ from the UK. I prefer the low-profile ones without status LEDs because it's in a position where I can never see the LEDs.

The app comes from the Android Google Play store. If you search for Torque you will find it. Carista is also quite good but several times the price, and Torque is good enough for my purposes. IIRC both come in free and paid-for versions so you can test it out before buying.

The only thing I would like that I've not been able to get it to display is oil temperature, which is a bit frustrating as I think all T5s have an oil temp sensor...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on my coolant temp gauge query, I've bought the Bluetooth sender and installed the app......fantastic! Thanks Triffic I'm well chuffed!

·
Special Rapporteur
8,526 Posts
I reckon Torque is pretty good value for money, but making up the mount to put the tablet/phone on is a bit of a pain, I have to admit. Eventually I made a mount that required no fixing holes at all, with two blocks that slot into the right-hand cubby hole and lock into place - though of course one hole is needed at the back of the cubby for the USB power cable to pass through.

If you've not already found it, you can set up all of the gauges in Torque with alarms - so that for example the figures start flashing if the temperature goes over, say, 96 degrees. I also use the Engine Load meter a fair bit to judge gear changes on hills (because for some reason I'm not good at judging how steep a slope is while on the move).

Please let me know if you figure out how to get Engine Oil Temp displayed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts