VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Just got home by having to free wheel :( What happened is that after about an 1hr of driving the whole van started to judder and with my foot flat out on the accelerator the van lost power then would pick up again, kind of like it hiccuping. It kept doing this repeatdly, then stalled. Tried the injnition push start button (that i am going to change back to key start!) and the battery just died. Thought when the juddering first started it could have been the heavy rain getting at the belts!?! But really strange with it completly losing power and then it kicking in. Even when i was free wheeling i tried the accelerator and there was nothing there.

Its a 1991 1.9d with 193k on the clock. I've only just bought it so unsure when belts and the such could have been changed

Any ideas to what it might be? :confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did you go through any large puddles? it could have sucked some water in..not enough to hydraulic the engine and kill it but maybe enough to do what you described...it did rather very heavily in S. Wales this morning

Dave

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check for air in the fuel line near your filter there is a clear pipe look for bubbles or air locks. When was your fuel filter last changed also check for leaks around the injectors etc plus how did your battery die ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I did go through a huge puddle yesterday that i couldn't avoid and the problem started then. It was all ok earlier today and then when the rain came down heavy the juddering began again, only just got back home due to the van stalling. The juddering was immense though, total lack of power and then ok for a few seconds before juddering again - I was praying to the the giant VW in the sky to get me and my son home!!

I think the battery is down to the push button ignition. The guy i bought from fitted a stereo and this drained the battery over night. I took out the fuse just to quick sort the problem and tomorrow i was going to replace the ignition switch and hopefully get the ignition working off the key again!

I will go and check the fuel lines (as soon as it stops belting down here!) Hopefuly i can see if theres any problems there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it has got well into the fuel whats the worst case scenario. I did have to drive it for about 10miles to get home :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
If it still drives then worst that could happen is that you may need to drain fuel tank and or fuel system. now if you said its making a clatter then severe internal damage is possible!! i've seen vehicles that have been driven through very deep puddles and sucked up the water and the engine has "hydraulic'd" and its snapped conrods!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ooo thankfuly theres nothing like that going on! though i have noticed recently when accelerating theres a kind of whistling sound? could this indicate an air leak somewhere?
Think i'm going to take off the battery, re-charge it and move the van about 30yrds down the road to somewhere where i can check over the fuel lines and filters. Still raing cats and dogs here though.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think that the chances of water getting into your fuel system are miniscule. As the problem started after the deep puddle I would bet that it is water in the electrics somewhere. There are, on my 2.5tdi anyway, a couple of important connectors blocks on the bottom of the engine that I believe have something to do with the engine management system. Normally the belly pan will keep them dry but as you went through deep water that might be the problem. Best of luck fixing it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to sa thankou - checked the fuel filter and loads of bubbles passing through the pipes, so new one being delivered today! Thanks for all your info and tips, really helped a novice like me!! T:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd check over any electrics and make sure they're dry anyway. I like the fact these vans have an intake fairly high, I found out too late that Berlingo's have their intake at the bottom of the engine bay and that water is non- compressible! I:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Just to sa thankou - checked the fuel filter and loads of bubbles passing through the pipes, so new one being delivered today! Thanks for all your info and tips, really helped a novice like me!! T:
I hate to spoil your feeling of success but I will be very surprised if it is the fuel filter that is letting in the air but it is wise to change it anyway if you don't know when it was last changed. It is much more likely to be the fuel sender unit in the fuel tank as they crack overtime and allow air in causing the symptons - I speak from experience! If your filter does not sort it out that has to be your next port of call. They are much cheaper from German ebayT:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i've changed the fuel filter and the ignition switch (thanks to a brilliant technical artical on here T:) The ignition works off the key now and turns over great. Only problem is i've got 2 wires that came off the push button start (red and a red n black one) that i dare not cut so i've just blanked then off!

Fuel filter looked old as the hills and seemed to be leaking a tiny bit of diesel :eek: I've ran the van standing as someone had 'politely' blocked me in for the day. The old van now seems to be running smooth and i've checked for bubbles and i can't see an. Guess the proof will be in the pudding when i take it for a proper run tomorrow.

Thanks for all your great advise - i will give a quick update tomorrow, so fingers crossed T:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cool fingers crossed for tomorrow sounds like it needs a bit of a service to me did mine on tge weekend can't believe the difference. :ILU:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that, I'm tring to work round all the problems i know of. So far had the top ball joint changed and know the oppersite driveshaft will need doing before christmas too! Job for m local garage though!!
I've changed the glows, oil and now fuel filter so next will be the air filter and belts. Then paint, lining and carpentry. All good stuff though as it makes me know my van better :)
Thanks for all the possitive vibes out there :ILU:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well what can i say!?! Changed the fuel filter and took the van for a spin. About 5 miles down the road had to turn round and go home as it started jummping/losing power momenteraly again. Although its nowhere as bad. Checked for air bubbles but none passing through the fuel pipes. Could it be the filter filling up?
Electrics are a bit iffy i think as the stereo will drain the battery if i leave the fuse in. An ideas on where i should be looking for the fuel sender unit? plus what else do you think i should look at? Going to get underneath tomorrow and check for anything getting wet under the engine. Also any help on where the earths are located!!!????!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts