VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

We've owned our T4 for a couple of years now, and now that it's become our only vehicle, we need to get the ride quality sorted!

The previous owner had some lowering springs fitted. Having gone through the paperwork, it looks like these:
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/994vg0200

So, i'm assuming the standard shocks are the cause for the (really really) bad ride. What do I do about it?

Any recommendations for new shocks? Having done a search, the following came up (with some quick google prices):

Bilstein B6
Sachs HD

How do these compare and any other recommendations?

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When you say "bad ride" what do you mean?
Its bouncy?, wallowy? to stiff? bangs over bumps? bump steer? body roll? :*

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I have sachs HD shocks and Eibach springs - transformed the ride for my van. Having said that, the orig shocks were knackered and the springs I took off were HD springs. I run 15" steels, so plenty of cushioning. to a certain expent, if you're running massive rims with minimal tyres, you're always gonna struggle with ride quality.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Also, what size wheels/tyres are you running, as this is very relevant.

I'd be ditching those springs TBH. I've put a set of Eibach springs AND the Sachs HD shocks on mine, and the ride is transformed from standard, very pleasant indeed, reduced roll, less bouncy, and not harsh at all.

But - I would say it was the Eibach springs that made the biggest difference by far. The Sachs did improve it further for sure, but by no means by the massive jump in ride quality that the progressive Eibach springs introduced. If I was to only do one of those two things, it would be the springs, not the shocks.

(I live in the countryside, a lot of very poor roads, and this is really important to me! Its also why I don't run large wheels, as that's going to further compromise your ride, whatever suspension changes you make)

Other opinions may vary, of course, but those springs don't look anywhere near as progressive or meaty as the Eibachs.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have sachs HD shocks and Eibach springs - transformed the ride for my van. Having said that, the orig shocks were knackered and the springs I took off were HD springs. I run 15" steels, so plenty of cushioning. to a certain expent, if you're running massive rims with minimal tyres, you're always gonna struggle with ride quality.
Snap! simultaneous post and experience :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks for the prompt replies...

It crashes over anything, a pot hole sounds like i've driven into a ditch and bumps are just generally uncomfortable. It's done 150k, so the shocks could be dead anyway, but I thought lowered springs tend not to work well with standard shocks?

I've running steels, with BIG tyres, so that's not the issue (I must confess, that i'm partly going down this route, as I want to get some bigger wheels in the future - at the moment, it looks like a van, i'd like it to look like a camper!).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Iam reading this with great interest.

I am running 18" rims and lowered 50mm but ride quality is pretty good but its when I hit bumps I get bangs and clangs. So Iam thinking along the lines of quality springs and shocks as mentioned.

But what about the front???

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Iam reading this with great interest.

I am running 18" rims and lowered 50mm but ride quality is pretty good but its when I hit bumps I get bangs and clangs. So Iam thinking along the lines of quality springs and shocks as mentioned.

But what about the front???
Sachs HDs.

Some people talk about changing the torsion bars to Violet ones. The strongest out there.

But again it depends on what is going on. If you are getting metal to metal contact then work on the top shock bracket could help. More likely if you have cut down your bump stops.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Same issue for me, I have 18" rims, dreadful ride. After having Eibach springs and B4 shocks fitted plus the front lowered it changed the van, massive improvement, which is my daily drive. I do circa 60 miles a day.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,947 Posts
Rear ARB will spread the body roll in the corners and make your van less likely to hit the stops on the front end. I have a 26mm rear ARB and the difference is massive throught the corners. FWIW i have Vogtland and GAZ shocks but i recommend the Sachs HD over GAZ any day, they are next on my list of van presents T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sachs HDs.

Some people talk about changing the torsion bars to Violet ones. The strongest out there.
2nd strongest Nick I believe the grey are number 1

....... I had the same trouble with ride quality
fitted everything Sach's shocks,Eibachs, violet torsion bars, uprated front/uprated rear ARB's

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Same issue for me, I have 18" rims, dreadful ride. After having Eibach springs and B4 shocks fitted plus the front lowered it changed the van, massive improvement, which is my daily drive. I do circa 60 miles a day.
Bizzarre, I swapped out standards 195/70/15s on steelies for 235/50/18 and the ride is the same? just a bit more road noise when hitting light speed"
Standard shocks and the -55 cheap red springs on T: lol

·
WoollyVan
18 Posts
Mine was lowered 60mm but very uncomfortable ride, fitted Sachs shocks all round and Vogtland 40mm lowering springs about a month ago. Noticed the difference straight away, just got round to lifting the front up 20mm and this has made a difference much better ride all round now. Running 19" with 235/35R19 91wXL tyres all round, was considering getting 18" wheels to try improve ride quality but after doing all the above I will be keeping the 19" on. Does not look as good as it did on 60mm drop but with the ride quality now on 40mm drop well happyT:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts