VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just interested to find what screens you've used with your reversing cameras & how the quality is etc.

There are an abundance available on ebay, ideally I would like one that clips straight onto the rear view mounting point but I am not sure they exist!

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you search on google for 'vw t5 rear camera' look through the images and there is one there which takes you back to this forum.

I was going to do the same but have put a double din headunit in so can use that now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was looking at the monitors that clip over the mirror and thought they were a bit to bulky so I took the mirror off and fitted my own monitor, it looks sweet.ill upload a pick and a link on eBay for them.they are only about £25 if I remember correctly

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ooop sorry yep, the whole thing cost me less than £70 to set up

The camera I bought from a chap I know from civinfo (honda civic forum) as I'd previously fitted one to my civic so knew the quality was ok:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo-traders/51600-sale-reverse-cameras-18.html

The screen was an ebay one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170715311449?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm going to be adding a front camera also, and wiring both into a dual channel pvr for accident / insurance purposes as I am fed up of getting dicked over on Dartmoor's roads!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
This looks to be a cheap useful mod. Does the mirror clip over the existing one or replace it?

Might have to pick your brains if I decide to go for it. T:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Same here, looking to fit a similar system in the next couple of weeks.

Is the image transmitted between camera and monitor via wireless?

Presumably the monitor is activated on engaging reverse gear and works as a normal reflective mirror all other times?

I'm tempted to get one of the cameras that have a grid overlay on top of the image, but would welcome opinions as to how useful this is in practice.

Cheers
Shaun

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very very useful!

The screen has two video inputs so could also be used as a general screen.
I've wired mine into a permanent live so its a constant rear view mirror, although I will be wiring it into an ignition live with a switched permanent live (i.e rear view when the ignition is on + the ability to switch on to watch a dvd etc when the ignition is off)

And yep, bought a passat rear view for £0.99 on ebay for it to clip on to. I was planning on taking the mount from the mirror to fit to the screen so it can sit a bit more flush, but at present it will do!

Fitting the camera was very easy, I had to take the ply panel off the rear door but not any of the handle / locking mechs as you can get the drill in the correct place without needing to.

The hardest part was (as always) feeding the wire from the door to the van through the rubber trunking, but once I slapped a load of grease on the cables they slid right through!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts