VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!
Dont get chance to post on here must but wanted to come on here this eve and say thank you!!
I am about 3 months into my van T5 conversion after buying a van from Essex a few months back. The Roof is on, painted and looks like a camper! I have about a month to go and everything is going great!

Until today.....

Coming home from work this evening and pulled away from a mini-roundabout. 1st gear fine, 2nd gear selected as i accelerated i heard a huge bang from the front end and lost all drive. Engine running / revving / no go!! So costed a few hundred yards down the road came to a stop. Did some basic tests... could put the van in gear and pull clutch all the way out with no movement at all...
Anyway on the blower to the AA and they were going to be a few hours so decided to just sit tight - I sat on a wall near the van with its hazards on and lid open.

What happened after that really did lift my spirits.. :)

A VW T5 camper pulls up in front of my van - out gets a young couple who enquire if I am ok and if i need any help! I thanked them for their offer and explained the AA was on their way, had a quick look at their van and then let them get on.

Isn't that so nice?? I thought so to!!

Sat back on my wall and 15 minutes pass when another T5 camper pulls up in front of me. Really friendly chap jumps out and runs over to check if I need any help! Once again i thanked him for his kindness and explained the AA had been called and he was on his way.

Twice in 30 minutes! Was felling really good about the community..

To cut a long story short, In the 2 hours I was waiting for the AA this happened 5 times!!!! yes FIVE TIMES!! Three T5 campers and Two T5 Kombi vans all stopped to ask if I was ok. I had one offer of a lift into a local town, one offer of a cup of tea and two offers of a tow to a garage.

Guys you really did make my evening!! I didn't catch any of your names - my apologies! However I did just want to say a huge thank you!

Hope to see you all about when my van is back on the road - off to visit the garage tomorrow to hear the verdict.

Once again, a huge thank you to everyone that stopped!

Chris

·
Registered
768 Posts
Great little story. Hope your van gets sorted and well done you guys, that's what it all about. A:T:

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's a great story! :)

Hope your van is sorted reasonably easily. Given your description I would hazard a guess that it's DMF/clutch related.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wow! How heartwarming to read :D Hope you're soon back on the road :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
hi , what you have described happened to me on Wednesday , changed into second to go round a roundabout then a bang and loss of drive then coasted to a halt thinking the worst ,gearbox or clutch ..... but after spending the night in it outside the VW dealer spoke to Nathan (wageworx) and he was spot on ... o/s drive shaft splines completely knackered . .. took VW an hour to sort it ... cos there's two shafts it's designed different to the n/s so is more prone to wear , no she drives like new with no slop at all , but the best thing is , on my AA breakdown cover I took the breakdown repair cover as well so the AA paid the first £465 of the £619 bill ... result ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
hi , what you have described happened to me on Wednesday , changed into second to go round a roundabout then a bang and loss of drive then coasted to a halt thinking the worst ,gearbox or clutch ..... but after spending the night in it outside the VW dealer spoke to Nathan (wageworx) and he was spot on ... o/s drive shaft splines completely knackered . .. took VW an hour to sort it ... cos there's two shafts it's designed different to the n/s so is more prone to wear , no she drives like new with no slop at all , but the best thing is , on my AA breakdown cover I took the breakdown repair cover as well so the AA paid the first £465 of the £619 bill ... result ...
forgot to mention a fellow dubber ,red sled David dropped some money to me so that I could get to work the next morning , then in the morning Andy , Anne's husband turned up with coffee and even came back shortly after and dropped me to work .... many thaks to the three of you for your help T:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Popped into the garage this morning, had it stripped down before I even got there!

Second I walked in he said its the OS drive shaft and stub shaft. Splines were mashed. We did some quick checks whilst it was there to be sure its not the clutch / flywheel and they seem ok.

Garage quoted me £590 + VAT for the parts.. However they did say I was more than welcome to try and find them cheaper myself. Popped out in the car, TPS were the same, so were VW.... Euro didnt know what I was talking about so ended up a GSF.

Got new drive shaft and stub shaft for £340 with a bit of discount.
They will arrive on Monday so just need to get them down to the garage to be fitted..

Half tempted to get coilovers fitted at the same time... Had a set of pro-sports sat in the garage at home for over 3 months....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do people think to the pro sports??

Only reason I have not fitted them yet was because I was unsure about the ride quality compared to my steady harsh T30 standard setup.

Thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts