VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our lovely van has been written off after a months ownership absolutely gutted deemed a Cat S 馃槬馃槬
20210523_101936.jpg

Registered
Are they letting you keep the van or given you a price to buy it back?

From that picture, it looks like you'd only need a tailgate, bumper, light etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they letting you keep the van or given you a price to buy it back?

From that picture, it looks like you'd only need a tailgate, bumper, light etc.
The van is at a garage where engineer looked at it not had a offer for buying back

Registered
No idea why that form says unroadworthy.
I'd contact them and see how much to buy back.
Quite a simple fix really.
If that garage, or another one, buys it from the insurance then it'll be fixed for about a grand and back on the road.

Depends if you want the hassle of fixing it yourself.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will ring them Monday first time I've had a vehicle written off so unclear on process,wasn't even in van she was parked up.

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
that's Structural damage.

doubt thats the case & there's no mention of chassis damage in the report :rolleyes:

No fault claim , ask for a price to buy it back .
DONT let them collect the vehicle and take it anywhere!!
Its still your property regardless until the claim is settled.

If you let it go anywhere then you lose control over whats happening.
^^ all of this. ESPECIALLY whats highlighted in red.;)

Rich.

Reactions: Jibbo

Premium Member
I dont get how the insurance company has deemed that as a write off!
You see worse driving around on the road as it is anyway!
Absolutely ridiculous and I hope you get the van back on the road yourself, how does it even work when you already own the car, that you have to buy it back off the insurance? That's just daylight robbery in my eyes!

Registered
To be fair, you see T4s in worse condition every day on the roads :LOL:

Definitely buy back, source a bumper and tailgate (although the tailgate might be able to be saved) and fix it. I'm guessing theres zero chance you could replace it for what they're offering to write it off?

Registered
Once you have done the repairs all you need is for it to be examined at a dvla site, had a 206 estate a few years ago written off. Repaired with stuff off ebay for 拢100 the dvla test was about 拢40, the insurance company wanted 拢25 yes 拢25 for me to buy it back, they gave me 拢950 as the payout. WELL worth doing for a campervan. Will have cat s on the v5 forever more so resale will be a bit less but you will be quite a few quid up now.

Registered
Some interesting posts in this thread:

I am amazed by this Jibbo, was the assesment done without looking at the vehicle or done at 4.45pm on a Friday?
Hope it all works out, keep us posted

Registered
Insurance companies are unbelievable these days, the same happened to me a few years back. I was rear ended whilst stationary at a roundabout. The offender was doing over 40mph. The damage could have been repaired but because the vehicle (Honda HRV) was over a certain age they wrote it off. The problem was I couldn鈥檛 get hold of all the parts so I had to take their offer and go out and buy something else. These companies work on a percentage of the value of the car against the damage, if it鈥檚 over that figure then it鈥檚 a write off. Looking at the damage here if there is no chassis damage, like everyone has said it鈥檚 worth buying back and picking up what parts you need to rebuild it yourself if you can.

Registered
Did you get anywhere with this one? My pal is just going through the same thing and the advice on this thread was really helpful. Garage wrote off his T5 and they offered him 拢6700. We know you cant buy a wing mirror for that these days!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you get anywhere with this one? My pal is just going through the same thing and the advice on this thread was really helpful. Garage wrote off his T5 and they offered him 拢6700. We know you cant buy a wing mirror for that these days!
Offered me 拢6500 as it was registered as a panel van

1 - 20 of 20 Posts