VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello T4 chaps.

I bought my T4 back in August and am yet to get it on the road due to a few faults, one of which is the fault with the engine temperature gauge constantly reading nothing.

I have read a lot and done almost everything I can think of and am now in need of some further input.

First of all I replaced both the 4 pin and 2 pin temperature sensors, this made no difference.

Second, I pulled the whole dash out to resolder the 6 pins that suffer cracks. Upon dismantling the dash I discovered someone has already resoldered 3 pins, but not the full 6. It looked as though there was a crack on the centre pin so I resoldered the remaining 3 and have just thrown the dash back in. Despite the heaters throwing out a nice warm breeze the engine temperature gauge remains stuck on zero.

What is my next port of call? I have get the hose with the sensors in and it is getting hot whilst my expansion tank remains cold. Which sensor feeds the gauge, the 2 pin or the 4 pin? Is it possible to read the sensor to check the sensor is showing the correct resistance? Is it possible I have fitted the incorrect sensors?

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do, and ideally I want the van on the road pretty soon. Can anyone suggest my next lot of call?

Thanks in advance.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,153 Posts
1st thing.....what engine/year?
2nd thing....where did you buy the sensors from?
Been LOADS of reports of faulty ones. (Especially the 4 pin one.)
Also (where I might be talking out of my :*) I think there are 3 temp sensors!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agh I meant to put that info in!

1991 2.0 petrol.

Sensors came from GSF. I may throw my old sensors back in just to see if that makes any difference. I sure am a little stumped.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible the actual gauge is totally knackered? Can you try another gauge from somewhere or someone?
This is something that I thought about. Unfortunately I can't borrow one, I'd have to buy another. Do corrado clocks fit? Would be nice to have a rev counter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts