VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The black van build thread.
It's actually a LWB 'vell but it's known as the black van in our house.
I've had her for 5 years and she has not turned a wheel in anger. It was brought as a non-runner and with loads of other projects on the go I just haven't had the time until now.
I have set a deadline of the end of July as we are using it to go to France in August................ all being well........

As I brought her........

As she has sat for 4 years. I know, I know...... I should have pulled my finger out sooner.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Anyway............

She was auto. I don't like the T4 auto gearbox so a manual one was brought.........

I had it stripped and inspected (even though it had only done 86k) as I didn't want to be taking it back out again because of a bad bearing. Ian from Recon gearboxes in Wolverhampton stripped it in front of me and showed me exactly what it needed. Just a couple of bearings were showing tiny marks. They would have probably been Ok but I had them changed to be 100% sure it was A1. Top bloke.http://recongearbox.co.uk/?page_id=161

Must remember to put oil in before the first start.

New slave fitted.........

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New engine.

From a 2.5TDI Volvo. 82k miles with FSH. Result.

Unfortunatly a glow plug snapped off in the head while changing them. First time this has happened to me, a right pain it the backside. It was well stuck, so the head had to come off.

While the head was off I took the oppertunity to check it all over. There was the usual black gunk in the intake tracks. The ports are well matched from the factory so they will only get a light tickle. Valves all lapped back in...........

I had a couple of helpers. Cider and the rabbit. Much better than watching the Eurovision song contest (except the Polish entry, I stopped working to watch that one).

The piston crowns were gummed up so I thought I would check the pistons, rings and mains. After a bit of a clean they are all perfect.

Sorry, I keep forgetting to take pictures before cleaning.

Double valve springs, 12.9 bolts on the mains, head and rod caps needed now.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick look at the bottom end.

ACV parts from another engine I have on the left side and the Volvo parts on the right.

ACV pistons are Mahle

Mains on the ACV are 25mm and the Volvo are 22mm. I was suprised at that.

Bolts are different. I think the ACV ones look stronger but I'll give the codes a google that are on the top of them.
I want to replace all bolts with 12.9 (rather than the 10.9 currently fitted).

I ordered a main bolt. I've seen on line that VW part number is N90130001 is advertised as 12.9 but it came as a standard 10.9 bolt as fitted to the ACV engine. I'm looking for the ARL main bolts. Does anyone know a good number?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow just a short deadline. No pressure or anything.

Mine was similar as I blew the engine in May and had to have the tdi conversion and camper conversion of sorts done by end of July. But got it done, was finishing the interior until 10pm the night before getting the ferry. As had to spend the day before the ferry changing the rad after putting a hole in it. But got the ferry and it felt great! only hick up was shredding a drive belt 3hours into france. But other than that it all went smoothly!

Good Luck

Jon

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow just a short deadline. No pressure or anything.

Mine was similar as I blew the engine in May and had to have the tdi conversion and camper conversion of sorts done by end of July. But got it done, was finishing the interior until 10pm the night before getting the ferry. As had to spend the day before the ferry changing the rad after putting a hole in it. But got the ferry and it felt great! only hick up was shredding a drive belt 3hours into france. But other than that it all went smoothly!

Good Luck

Jon
Thanks for the vote of confidence I: You sound just like my wife, mates, in fact everyone.......... :eek:

Need to pull my finger out and get it done.

Front shock mounts modified and bump stops cut down a little............

Not going super low but don't want it bottoming out everywhere.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Busy day today.

Front bushes swapped out. The lower arm ones were a right pain to remove.

Upper arm has Powerflex black series bushes and the lower road spec' purple.

+

=

+

Rack bushes done......

New crank end seal fitted.

Some more toys turned up..........

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Doing more work than posting.....

I've had a change of plans with the engine. I also had an ACV engine with low miles that I was going to build into a very strong bottom end and fit at a later date. I didn't see the point of having it sit there for the next X months and me fit new belts and other new parts to an engine I was going to swap out.

So.........

From under the bench came the engine.

Pistons are Mahle and the rods are stronger in the ACV over the Volvo lump.

Bores are perfect....

Mains removed...

Crank is perfect. The blue is from where I checked it for true.

Block cleaned up and bores given a light tickle. Well within tollerance.

New main bearings and rod bearings.

Crank fitted with 10.9 mains and checked. The bolts were then swapped out one for one with 12.9 bolts.

Pistons all fitted.

New VW 3 hole head gasket.

Head ready to fit.

12.9 head bolts with drilled out washers.

Cam fitted and timed up.

Final shot before the sump goes on. You can see the 12.9 mains in this picture.

Manifolds fitted up.

Also did a little inside the van.

Fitted my very old wheel. I've had it since I was 17. :eek: I've lost a couple of the screws but I'll sort that out tomorrow.

Boost gauge fitted.

Rear arms cleaned up. Top one after a wash.

Ready for bushes.

1 - 20 of 308 Posts