VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

The black van build thread........ picture heavy.

110K views 310 replies 53 participants last post by  jdydndudhfgh 
#1 · (Edited)
The black van build thread.
It's actually a LWB 'vell but it's known as the black van in our house.
I've had her for 5 years and she has not turned a wheel in anger. It was brought as a non-runner and with loads of other projects on the go I just haven't had the time until now.
I have set a deadline of the end of July as we are using it to go to France in August................ all being well........

As I brought her........

As she has sat for 4 years. I know, I know...... I should have pulled my finger out sooner.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Anyway............

She was auto. I don't like the T4 auto gearbox so a manual one was brought.........

I had it stripped and inspected (even though it had only done 86k) as I didn't want to be taking it back out again because of a bad bearing. Ian from Recon gearboxes in Wolverhampton stripped it in front of me and showed me exactly what it needed. Just a couple of bearings were showing tiny marks. They would have probably been Ok but I had them changed to be 100% sure it was A1. Top bloke.http://recongearbox.co.uk/?page_id=161

Must remember to put oil in before the first start.

New slave fitted.........

#3 ·
New engine.

From a 2.5TDI Volvo. 82k miles with FSH. Result.

Unfortunatly a glow plug snapped off in the head while changing them. First time this has happened to me, a right pain it the backside. It was well stuck, so the head had to come off.

While the head was off I took the oppertunity to check it all over. There was the usual black gunk in the intake tracks. The ports are well matched from the factory so they will only get a light tickle. Valves all lapped back in...........

I had a couple of helpers. Cider and the rabbit. Much better than watching the Eurovision song contest (except the Polish entry, I stopped working to watch that one).

The piston crowns were gummed up so I thought I would check the pistons, rings and mains. After a bit of a clean they are all perfect.

Sorry, I keep forgetting to take pictures before cleaning.

Double valve springs, 12.9 bolts on the mains, head and rod caps needed now.

#310 ·
New engine.

From a 2.5TDI Volvo. 82k miles with FSH. Result.

Unfortunatly a glow plug snapped off in the head while changing them. First time this has happened to me, a right pain it the backside. It was well stuck, so the head had to come off.

While the head was off I took the oppertunity to check it all over. There was the usual black gunk in the intake tracks. The ports are well matched from the factory so they will only get a light tickle. Valves all lapped back in...........

I had a couple of helpers. Cider and the rabbit. Much better than watching the Eurovision song contest (except the Polish entry, I stopped working to watch that one).

The piston crowns were gummed up so I thought I would check the pistons, rings and mains. After a bit of a clean they are all perfect.

Sorry, I keep forgetting to take pictures before cleaning.

Double valve springs, 12.9 bolts on the mains, head and rod caps needed now.
These the same engines then??

#4 ·
Quick look at the bottom end.

ACV parts from another engine I have on the left side and the Volvo parts on the right.

ACV pistons are Mahle

Mains on the ACV are 25mm and the Volvo are 22mm. I was suprised at that.

Bolts are different. I think the ACV ones look stronger but I'll give the codes a google that are on the top of them.
I want to replace all bolts with 12.9 (rather than the 10.9 currently fitted).

I ordered a main bolt. I've seen on line that VW part number is N90130001 is advertised as 12.9 but it came as a standard 10.9 bolt as fitted to the ACV engine. I'm looking for the ARL main bolts. Does anyone know a good number?

#9 ·
Wow just a short deadline. No pressure or anything.

Mine was similar as I blew the engine in May and had to have the tdi conversion and camper conversion of sorts done by end of July. But got it done, was finishing the interior until 10pm the night before getting the ferry. As had to spend the day before the ferry changing the rad after putting a hole in it. But got the ferry and it felt great! only hick up was shredding a drive belt 3hours into france. But other than that it all went smoothly!

Good Luck

Jon

#20 · (Edited)
Doing more work than posting.....

I've had a change of plans with the engine. I also had an ACV engine with low miles that I was going to build into a very strong bottom end and fit at a later date. I didn't see the point of having it sit there for the next X months and me fit new belts and other new parts to an engine I was going to swap out.

So.........

From under the bench came the engine.

Pistons are Mahle and the rods are stronger in the ACV over the Volvo lump.

Bores are perfect....

Mains removed...

Crank is perfect. The blue is from where I checked it for true.

Block cleaned up and bores given a light tickle. Well within tollerance.

New main bearings and rod bearings.

Crank fitted with 10.9 mains and checked. The bolts were then swapped out one for one with 12.9 bolts.

Pistons all fitted.

New VW 3 hole head gasket.

Head ready to fit.

12.9 head bolts with drilled out washers.

Cam fitted and timed up.

Final shot before the sump goes on. You can see the 12.9 mains in this picture.

Manifolds fitted up.

Also did a little inside the van.

Fitted my very old wheel. I've had it since I was 17. :eek: I've lost a couple of the screws but I'll sort that out tomorrow.

Boost gauge fitted.

Rear arms cleaned up. Top one after a wash.

Ready for bushes.

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks matey. It's only nuts and bolts though. It's easy to over think things at times. I'm more guilty than most, hence the change of plans with the engine. The Volvo one would have been fine.

Amazing job mate, i'm going to be rebuilding my current engine as a spare when i fit the lower mileage engine i'm planning to buy, all interesting and educational stuff and a lovely van too T:T:T:T:
Thanks. Just wish I had done it earlier. I've been buying bits and bobs over the years I've had it so it's just a matter of bolting it together and finding all the bolts I've lost. I:

#27 · (Edited)
It's a GT22V from a AXG model. I think they run a pressure rather than vacuum system.

However,

I think the one on the left is the one I'll actually be fitting now.

The GT22V is on the right.....

I'll see if I have the original turbo so I can put a comparrison up including that one.

Couple of small clerance issues with the manifold........

Mounting bracket trimmed off the turbine housing but it still touches the manifold with the compressor. It was originally destined for a Saab V6TID turbo.

Hit a bit of an issue with the brakes. I orded the wrong pads. :(

Stole the wheels off my wifes car.....

Sitting high as its just come off jacks.

I've only put them on for now so I can roll it about. I think they suit the van though. Got some other rims to go on though that I think will be nicer. ;o)

New drive shafts all fitted up.

Waiting on the braided hoses.

Facet fuel pump came today too.

#28 · (Edited)
I've been away with work for a bit so nothing done.

Got back yesterday and thought I would bolt some big bits on......

Rear suspension.

New hoses turned up to. Cheers to Martyn at RedLine hydraulics, Worcester. He drives a T5 but I won't hold that against him. I:

http://www.redlinehydraulics.co.uk/

I went for the carbon look. They are very, very nice quality, good price and good delivery.

Just as I got the rear arm off the heavens opened....

New arm with Powerflex bushes and the old arm. I had to swap over the ABS ring to the new arm.

All bolted up just as it was getting dark. I started late. Air assssssisted suspension and unknown make rear springs. The springs will be getting swapped out for Calibra ones when I get some. Sachs HD rear shocks.

Just got to get the other side done now...................

#29 ·
Right rear arm ready to fit.

All fitted up.

Brake calipers are stripped, painted and drying. Rebuild kits from BigRed brakes. Located in Worcester. Top blokes and very helpfull. TBH I was I had saved some time and got them to do the rebuilds, they are not too pricy and I could have done other things.

Front lines fitted. Carbon look so not very "in your face".

It turns out that RedLine have two T5's.

I cant praise them highly enough.

#31 ·
Slow day on the van today.

Trying to remember where all the pipes and wires go. I thought the loom was meant to be idiot proof. I:

As it was an automatic I've just got to figure what bits of loom I don't need and where to put in the new bits.

MAP sensor mounting done.

Fitted.............

New radiator and fan pack fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.