VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: The Classic pre 95 T4 thread. Post pictures here!

Nope its different because the grill panel is one piece not three. Funny but the bumpers do look like pre face lift from what i can see of them. Is the rear three piece? Maybe VW made an in-between version with the late grill panel and older bumpers?
will have a check tonight about the rear bumper, i do believe it is three piece though!
mm an inbetweener

·
Registered
166 Posts

and then I fell in love with vanzee sorted it out and took it everywhere round europe.

Rear tailgate conversion a must

newer Bumpers get rid of the classic fall off 3 corner one on the back and the old one on the front such an easy conversion.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Gotta get the Geko in here, but its probably going to be getting new style front and rear bumpers, when i get the damage fixed :eek: i know sorry I:

with checks

with out checks, oh and play spot the difference, no point for guess no checks i just told you that T:

and i bet no ones got a rear like mine, spot the blue corner piece to prove its a 3 piece bumper :D

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
thought about going the late bumper route, but I'm staying with my early style too T:
have my vr6 splitter that I'm midway thro modding to fit also.....................
just have the small matter of the blown 1.9d to sort 1st I: :(

·
Somebody stop me!
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
newer Bumpers get rid of the classic fall off 3 corner one on the back
The three piece design is actually really good especially with todays hit and run culture. I had one of my corners removed by :* in a supermarket carpark who drove off. Corners are really easy to replace and much cheaper than losing a whole bumper plus the van will look better with 2/3 of a bumper than no bumper at all. The worlds gone all backward:confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
round newer bumpers look better fact, why would VW change them to make it look worse??

Take a look at the three piece bumpers around how many are aligned correctly, always out of line look like squares my van looks much better now they are rid.

·
previously known as "cheekychappy84"
876 Posts
I went for the newer bumpers too!! It's a H reg - must be 1 of the 1st t4's made!

I'll try and find a pic from when i 1st got it!

·
Somebody stop me!
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
round newer bumpers look better fact, why would VW change them to make it look worse??
Not necessarily because they look worse but Because they are cheaper and less time consuming to produce and take less time to assemble on the production line. Anyone who has done any work with GRP moulding will know they squarer objects are not as easy to remove from the moulds, same with older bumpers. Round ones come out easier involving less time. New bumpers were undoubtedly created as a cost cutting exercise.

As it has been said before each to their own its just a shame to remove something that was meant to be. Classic and proud all the way for me!

·
Somebody stop me!
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
so what is different between new and old bumpers, apart from the 3 piece rear, and the squarer profile?
That's about it mate, the front one is not as deep as the newer ones which i think needs to be addressed by a suitable splitter. I haven't got round to doing that yet but hopefully i will soon.

21 - 40 of 633 Posts