VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....hope you are all well.

I just thought I would update the story...long story ..on my van.
About 6 years ago I had a huge MOT failure quote... Upper and lower balljoints...suspesion arm bushes....the list went on...which led me to ask many many questions of the forum...and I was faced with either selling the van...paying the quoted £1000 garage bill...or doing it myself...with very little in the way of tools lol.

The other problem with the van was it just would not start in the morning....turn over and over...white smoke...then eventually it would fire up...then it would run fine and start on the button all day....until the next morning :mad: this caused the wife lots of stress..."Daniel the fxxking van wont start again...its so fxxking embarrassing" ....and so on and so on.

Anyway...a baby came along....and then another one....and we decided the van had to go :(

While I was sorting that very emotional sale out I decided to park it up in my brothers yard....you know...until we sold it :)
and...thats where it stayed ...untouched...and rarely visited for the next 6 years.

Until we booked a holiday to greece and were quoted nearly £600 for a taxi for the 8 of us....."I aint paying that" I said..."I'll get the van back on the road" I said....out loud.... all confidently too lol.

And so it began... three weeks until we were due to leave for Gatwick Airport :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So....we dragged it out of the dark ..and into the light.

One thing I did notice were a lot of spiders....BIG spiders :oops:

Such big spiders in fact that I thought it best to let my son check out the interior ;)

As soon as we opened that door...lots of memories came flooding back.... and that £600 taxi quote suddenly seemed resonable :)
"will it start" .... "Lets go buy a new battery and find out" I said :unsure:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol...have to pause the story for today Im afraid ...the gearbox on my Disco has just gone :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not really sure where this thread is going to be honest lol.... Its not like the van has had a full body respray and features in this months VW blah blah magazine ...but I just wanted to tell the little story....the story so far ya know.
So....where were we :)
Ahh thats right....We put a battery on it...held our breath ..and believe it or not it fired up first turn !!!
Lol it didnt really ...it turned over and over for about five minutes until I remembered that I had previously wired in a seperate glow plug button.
THEN it started first time....or second time....everything seemed fine initially...kept my head under the bonnet for five minutes in case anything uexpected happened....You might be able to guess Im not a mechanic as this story goes on...and on :p
Then my boy shouted "Daddy theres water everywhere"...

There was ...a lot of water too...more than in this picture.... I remember thinking "I dont think thats supposed to happen" :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh see you knew.... I did not know.... I had a faint memory of a similar kind of thing happening on my old Disco...no water leak but it just would not blow hot air no matter how hot the engine was...and I was told to back flush it...
So....I thought "its probably something like that" so I put a hose on the little pipe and fired water back up it...maybe a blockage or something I thought....note to self "dont do that" :whistle:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyway ...I phoned a friend and he said it was the heater matrix....guess the time and a couple of cold winters eventually got to it...hey ho...I added that to the list of jobs I had scribbled down on a little note book...jobs I thought ..with my limited mechanical knowledge.. would need doing ...like seized brakes...errrr..change oil ? you know stuff like that lol ..and all the MOT failure work that contributed to the van being parked up in the first place.

The following day ...after asking many questions on the forum...googling various things...like how to do the heater matrix...which sounded like a right ****...even with this brilliant and perfectly acurate guide...thank you to 'mega miles t4'.

I wasn't too stressed about the brake side of things as I've done brakes before...should be straight forward. ..as long as no caliper carrier bolts were seized ...solid :mad:
We went back to the van pulled it out in to a bit better area...still on the grass !! which made everything much MUCH harder than It needed to be...but thats the only place It could go....and we started doing things..

Silliness aside.. It felt great...just having this little challenge ...my little boy Frankie got stuck right in....he cleaned the van top to toe...really badly...then brushed all the inner wheel arches clean with a wire brush ...and then cleaned the wheels using all my WD40 ...ALL of it lol....they were shiney though...bless him...he loved it.

All we managed to do that day ...because of VERY poor forward planning...and the caliper carrier bolts being seized ...solid...was pretty much strip the brakes ...and get all the **** out of the van...well the boys did...Im alergic to spiders...if I get too close to one I turn in to a girl :cry:

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
:ROFLMAO: like me with ladders then ☺?‍♀.
Its a good job Frankie was abit more productive.... he was perhaps thinking of ways to prevent rust! He was also perhaps a tad brave going for just his shorts this time of year ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As things started progressing...and more and more things were coming off the van for the MOT work...I started trying to organise my grassy mess of bolts and parts and even the stuff I was going to replace I decided to keep organised until they definitely werent needed anymore...I put a couple of long boards under each side of the van and layed stuff in order on there....Im no mechanic but Im happy to tackle anything with a little advice and a few forum or Google searches....but to help my already stressed out tiny little brain ..organisation was needed....and so were parts...many parts...like...
Filters...

Timing belt kit..

Water pump...

CV Joint kit...

Drop links...

Brake pads...

Ball Joints..Upper

and Lower..

And a few other bits n bobs...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Like... Track rod ends...

Thermostat..

Wishbone bushes...front upper...

Rear upper....

Belts...all

Oil...

Brake rebuild kit...

Red Rubber Grease...

Brake Fluid...

Seals...I think lol...

and that was it ...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then there was a knock at the door...

Rocker cover gasket...Eccentric bolts...Disk retaining screws...again...no idea what happened there...

and finally...the Heater Matrix :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The work has already been done sorry ...this is just me telling the story ...
Theres a whole load of new problems now :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its old actually...from just before it was taken off the road :(
This was my first T4... my only T4 ...I was looking for ages...getting VERY Impatient...then this one came up just down the road ...It looked teal greeny blue in the pictures...lovely colour...shiney Chrome plated mirror finish wheels....looked lovely.
I looked at in person in the dark ...street light only lol....I said "I'll have it" ...
Woke up in the morning...looked out the window...and it was green green ...like a different van green lol...My missus was not happy....I loved it :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts