VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 TD (aaz conversion so no ecu)

I have the fault where the instrument panel resets itself every now and then. The speedo, temp, fuel and trip counter die then come back on. It started with just the fuel guage. Then it got a bit worse. Now its becoming more frequent.

From what I have read its a cracked soldier joint in the current regulator, all the repair guides I've seen are for full analogue clusters

I have no worries about removing the panel and reparing the board. However my model dash is the analogue clock with a digital trip counter / mileage. No rev counter (diesel) I'm not sure if the guides apply? Anyone know

Also - if the panel dies will I be able to start and drive the van. I'm using it a lot and have the nagging anxiety of being stranded. I've got aux instruments for oil temp and boost. Plus a satnav for speed as long as the damn thing runs!

Also I've herd of wiring faults, could it be an old wire?

Any help and reassurance would be appreciated

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,147 Posts
Have you checked the alternator and connections?
I know it sounds "t'other end of the engine", but known to cause strange instrument faults.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the alternator and connections?
I know it sounds "t'other end of the engine", but known to cause strange instrument faults.
No - thanks for the info. Last I checked the wiring here was a bit dodgy. I did a repair on the two pin plug where it was worn and had split wires about 6 months back bit was never happy with it as it was so close to the plug. I had / have a very slight rocker gasket leak which deposits oil here where it runs down the wire. I could well be worth a check. Time to check if its oily / perished

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,147 Posts
Well.....2 ways to look at that.
Oil is an insulator, so if you have dodgy insulation, the oil "helps".
However, if you have a dodgy connection, it can get in and insulate what should make contact!

Also, the brush/regulator on the alternator can be suspect.....worn brushes "sometimes" work, but sometimes not.....same symptoms.

My oil filler leaks, so my alternator is covered in thick, black "gunge".....but unless it gets between the rotor and the brushes, it's better to leave it rather than clean it. T:

One last comment.....
"Oil is an insulator"....so NEVER spray WD40 anywhere on electrical connections (it's also NOT a lubricant, just a Water Dispersant, formula #40! OK for HT leads in winter, or garden tools!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Fixed (for now / not counting any chickens) here's what I did.

I YouTubed how to remove the instrument cluster. It took 5 mins & really simple to do. My cluster isn't analogue. Board full of chips and bits so I inspected it for damage and found none. It looks fine. Nothing I can do with that.

There was a wire repair in the loom on the single plug which feeds the instrument cluster. Checked, Was fine no issues. Made sure all the wires were strapped down and snug then re assembled.

Checked the back of the fuse box for lose plugs - none to be found.

Checked the two pin plug on the alternator. Its old and the wire is brittle but its holding. Cleaned it up and re assembled

Took 45 mins to do this.

Problem has gone! So something was loose or I have a damaged wire somewhere which is now in the sweet spot until it moves again. I am replacing the alternator plug and checking all the wiring fully on the weekend. My gut tells me its the alt wiring.

Thanks for the replies

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,147 Posts
I "lose" my fuel gauge every year when the sun comes out warm!
Remove the panel, unplug, pull the loom, put back together and it's perfect until the next exceptional hot day.
Sometimes the warning beeper goes off too.

I've learned to live with it and just make sure I fill up every 800km.

June/July, fix it, and then wait until next year usually.....never goes duff in winter. :cool:

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,147 Posts
I missed out on one of my "sarcky" comments!
Just re-read the title;
" Re: The dreaded instrument panel problem has hit. Advice on a half analogue cluster?"

Which half do you need advice on? Rasp:

Hope it stays sorted for you.T:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts