VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share a few pictures of my travels round Europe with you, hope you enjoy them!

T4 ted on the ferry from Dover to Dunkerque.

T4 ted in Reims, France.

T4 ted last views of France on the way into Germany.

T4 ted looking cool maxin and relaxin!

T4 ted chilling out north lake Bodancee Germany.

Our fantastic campsite in Neustift Austria (fantastic views and facilites) so good we stayed there 4 nights to spend time with Gemmima's parents who did the trip on motorbikes.

T4 ted and Rosie on the campsite at Neustift.

Paraglider central at Neustift. Pictured is the launch site on top of the mountain.

One of the many beautiful waterfalls between Neustift and the top of Tyrol

Cable car to the top of Tyrol. Not the clearest of days and managed to get a bit lost on the way down as we walked the last cable car run.

The next valley along from Neustift and a fantastic walk.

Gemmima and parents at the bottom of the Tabogan run at Mieders (make sure you are not following small children as it spoils the fun) really fast and long from the top to the bottom of the mountain!

Lake Luzern, Switzerland and a view from the first site we stopped at.

A view taken from the paddle steamer “URI” on lake Luzern.

2nd campsite central Luzern,a fantastic site and a fantastic location!

Total distance covered 2380 miles and 30 miles from home............ Pop goes the engine.

Great trip shame about the ending. At least the van lasted until the UK as it would have been a logistical nightmare otherwise. In total we visited France, Belgium, Austra, Switzerland, Germany, Liechtenstein, and Luxembourg If anyone needs details of any of the sites we visited or called in on route please feel free to PM me and i will do my best to divulge the information.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like an excellent trip but how annoying the engine going :(
at least it was the end of the holiday not the start

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Some awesome looking views. looks fantastic... pity about the last leg of the trip, gutted for ya jimmy...:(.

What went then, any idea?...

Ant...:ILU:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some awesome looking views. looks fantastic... pity about the last leg of the trip, gutted for ya jimmy...:(.

What went then, any idea?...

Ant...:ILU:
Dont know mate. It is just massively pressurising the coolant causing it to spit it out everywhere. I did daily checks on the engine daily and it was pressurised even when the engine was cold which it never used to do before the rebuild. It can sit there for a while as i've had enough agro from it to last me years :(

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not so good mate,at least it alsted the trip as at one stage it looked like you werent getting on the trip at all,how mad does that tobbogan run look T:
It was like a giant rollercoaster some bits were very close to vertical i started to feel a little intimidated on the cable car to the top as it passes over the tracks you are going down. I wish i had taken the 3 up 3 down bundle instead of 1 up 1 down now though. I've been on the one on the Great Orme in Wales loads but this was 10 times everything that one was and better value to T: I recommend to anyone going to Austria and Switzerland as they are truly breathtaking. So much so the rest of the trip felt like a slight anticlimax leaving, oh well all the more reason to return next year T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More pictures of the good times.

Posh Riva speedboat on Bodencee

Gemmima and lake Bodencee

Lake Bodencee

Campsite on lake Bodencee

View from Neuschenstein Castle

Campsite in Neustift looking down the valley.

Myself and Gemmima cooloing off by an Austrian mountain stream

Laughing Cow in the flesh.

Mountain Goats.

Lutzern Lion monument

For steam engine geeks Uri steamboat plaque.

Uri Steamboat

·
Registered
769 Posts
It looks like you had a brilliant trip (till near the end) and you worked so hard to get there too. T:

Hope you get your motor sorted soon (de-ja-vue) :(

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Man your trip looks amazing, Sorry to see the ending but as everyone said if it had to happen somewhere on the way home is the place.
We have bought a 03 Ex AA T4 and converted it into a camper, in Sept we are getting married and heading off to Europe for a 3500 mile road trip for our honeymoon taking in Paris, Dijion, Chamonix, Monaco, Nice, Barcelona and everywhere in between, so looking at your pic made me get very excited!!! any tips of what to take or do to make the trip better on easier?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man your trip looks amazing, Sorry to see the ending but as everyone said if it had to happen somewhere on the way home is the place.
We have bought a 03 Ex AA T4 and converted it into a camper, in Sept we are getting married and heading off to Europe for a 3500 mile road trip for our honeymoon taking in Paris, Dijion, Chamonix, Monaco, Nice, Barcelona and everywhere in between, so looking at your pic made me get very excited!!! any tips of what to take or do to make the trip better on easier?
Make sure you are well covered for the obvious breakdown insurance, full comp van insurance, medical insurance and EHIC cards and enjoyT: A good european satnav or detailed maps of specific areas will make life a lot easier.

Are you a member of the camping and caravan club? If you are get the CCI (camping card international) card. It saves you having to leave your passport with some sites and everywhere we went recognised it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you so much,
We have joined the Caravan club and got breakdown insurance cover with them to cover us in case the worst happens, where do we get a (camping card international) from? they sound like a good idea as i would not give my passport to anyone!

·
Registered
105 Posts
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT WITH ANYONE!!

HM Gov advice is that you should never leave your passport at a hotel/campsite etc reception as it's the easiest way for copies/clones to be made.

Was in India a few years ago and the hotel receptionist wanted to keep my passport overnight as he was unable to use the photocopier. When I refused he told me I couldn't stay in the hotel, I told him I'd sleep in reception, speak to the manager in the morning and as it was 3am and I'd been on the road for 10 hours it wouldn't be a very pleasant conversation. He took a look at my grubby, sweaty, tired face and changed his mind.

Guard you passport with your life!!

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you so much,
We have joined the Caravan club and got breakdown insurance cover with them to cover us in case the worst happens, where do we get a (camping card international) from? they sound like a good idea as i would not give my passport to anyone!
Just give the Camping and Caravan club a call and tell them you want one, i think they are £5 unless you book the holday through them.

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Jimmy, that trip looked awesome. Just showed my wife the video of the downhill run. We decided to go over next year just for that!
Good advice about the caravan clubT:
Hope you get your engine sorted bud. Is it a 1.9or 2.5?

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
looks like an awesome trip, least u got a good looking lady to fall back on eh

sorry to hear about ur engine, gutting for you

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Looks like a great trip and some great photos. T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jimmy, that trip looked awesome. Just showed my wife the video of the downhill run. We decided to go over next year just for that!
Good advice about the caravan clubT:
Hope you get your engine sorted bud. Is it a 1.9or 2.5?
The problem is going back to work. The last two days have been hell catching up on emails and generally getting back into coastguarding again and trying to find out the best course of action for fixing the van (1.9td abl incidently). Take my advice about the taboggan run; get the 3 up 3 down bundle and make sure you pick your moment so you are not following the elderly or really small slow children T:

looks like an awesome trip, least u got a good looking lady to fall back on eh

sorry to hear about ur engine, gutting for you
Thanks mate, I dont think she would appreciate it much if i did. I:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts