VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Its not stupid at all :* Its a well thought out scam.

The French build a nucleur reactor in another country (ie not their own because they are not allowed) using Chinese money. They sell the Brits overpriced energy for decades, and they;ll cleverly (and legally) avoid paying all the taxes that they should which will ensure the Chinese get a good return on their money. -so far, two very happy parties.

France will get cheap energy via the "La Manche jump lead" (I knew it was on the south coast for a reason) and finally Britain will pick up the cost of decomissioning the radio active waste (no doubt by borrowing money of the Chinese). - Still 2 very happy parties.

Its a stinker. makes ones blood boil!!! Regardless of which shower of sheet government you bat for - this country nees to grow some balls when it comes to business and commerce. Bang their bloody heads togther the eeeeedjits

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
We've seen this coming for years. We don't have the technology to build our own nuclear power stations any more and successive governments have buried their heads in the sand for so long that if we don't do something, the lights will definitely go out.

Nobody wants wind turbines

Nobody wants coal fired power stations

Nobody wants nuclear power stations

Nobody wants gas fired power stations.

Everybody wants cheap electric

I don't know if this power station is a good thing or a bad thing. What I do know is it's definitely necessary.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I hope the French make better power station than bloody cars. Where is the great in Great Briton gone. Complete anchors

·
Registered
4,319 Posts

I don't know if this power station is a good thing or a bad thing. What I do know is it's definitely necessary.
Mostly I agree with you, yes we need a better supply for the present situation. I personally think the gov should be funding better schemes and more schemes to reduce what we use - they do stuff at the moment but its only ticking box typr stuff so they can con the voter. Its still consumer driven not conserving

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Mostly I agree with you, yes we need a better supply for the present situation. I personally think the gov should be funding better schemes and more schemes to reduce what we use - they do stuff at the moment but its only ticking box typr stuff so they can con the voter. Its still consumer driven not conserving
They could start by passing a law forcing companies that leave their lights on all night to pay a massive surcharge for their power during "Out of office hours" I live 20 miles from London and can see Canary wharf lit up like a Xmas tree.

·
Registered
691 Posts
And they announce the French are going to do it on Trafalgar Day ------Very patriotic

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
We've seen this coming for years. We don't have the technology to build our own nuclear power stations any more and successive governments have buried their heads in the sand for so long that if we don't do something, the lights will definitely go out.

It is necessary....but selling it out to the French / Chinese......how does that make sense in anything but the short term!?

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
There was an interesting article in today's Times about this subject. We don't have £16Bn spare laying around to fund it ourselves and we don't have the expertise to build it even if we could afford it. What the author suggested was that we should be building nuclear power not in massive projects like this, but in factories like they do for nuclear submarines. We've got the engineering capability to do this and the cost of each unit would come down as the number of units being produced increased.

Power stations could be built in a modular fashion with generating units added as demand for power increased.

Unfortunately, nobody wants a power station in their local area & the idea of lots of little nuclear power stations dotted around the country probably wouldn't go down well with a lot of people.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It seems ludicrous to me, apparently they will be paid double the price per unit of leccy. Its on a par with wind farms. They are paid even when they are switched off. EDF are onto a winner

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
It seems ludicrous to me, apparently they will be paid double the price per unit of leccy. Its on a par with wind farms. They are paid even when they are switched off. EDF are onto a winner
They've been given a guaranteed price for a project that will take 10 years. I had a look around and found this:

http://www.lincolnshiresolar.co.uk/solar/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=165

Looks like the cost of electric has pretty much doubled in the last 10 years and it's not going to get any cheaper with all the green subsidies, so it would seem to be based on a fair estimate of where prices are going 10 years from now. If EDF are on to such a winner, why did Centrica pull out?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
While on holiday near Oban recently I went round a Power station (it was a rainy day)that was powered by water .Loch above the power station drops water through the turbines makes electricity water released to lake below. Apparently it costs a tenth of the cost of nuclear and can be on line in 28 seconds .There are 4 in Scotland 1 in Wales with a possible 50 more sites . No nuclear or decommissioning problems. So I asked why we are not building more . Its political was the engineers reply.:*

·
Registered
661 Posts
While on holiday near Oban recently I went round a Power station (it was a rainy day)that was powered by water .Loch above the power station drops water through the turbines makes electricity water released to lake below. Apparently it costs a tenth of the cost of nuclear and can be on line in 28 seconds .There are 4 in Scotland 1 in Wales with a possible 50 more sites . No nuclear or decommissioning problems. So I asked why we are not building more . Its political was the engineers reply.:*
I've thought of that as well. I mean I'm all for nuclear power as I work with it on a submarine and the power is phenomenal from such a tiny source but I do think we need to really use Hydro Power first. There's plenty of places suitable for it and it produces a lot of power. I'm not a fan of wind farms or tidal power (too expensive with little power output) but Hydro power is a great power source.

I'm guessing the politics behind it is that they can't tax it as well as fossil fuels and it would provide too much in comparison to "eco/green energy".

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
How much power does the country need and how much would 50 hydro-electric sites give us, even if everyone agreed to have one in their back yard? My guess it that it can't provide enough otherwise more mountainous countries would rely on it a lot more.

Fantastic concept though - I love the idea of living in an old mill and having a mini hydro plant in the mill course to provide my own power.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts