VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got bored of not having started a thread for my van, so, here it is. As titled, it is going to be a verrrry slow process I reckon, especially as I will be being made redundant at the end of February.

But anyway, onto nicer things.

I have lots of plans, and none of them are set in stone, so expect lots of different things tried.

Here is the van (name undecided as yet): A 1998 2.4D, 188k on clock, but has a younger engine in her. Bought for the princely sum of £1262, with 6 month MOT left.

PROBLEMS: Lots of blue smoke on startup from cold. Little leak from fuel pump. Annnnd on the 240 mile journey home in her, she got 230 miles back, when 5th gear disappeared. She is now in the garage waiting to be looked at for a couple of these issues.

TOTAL COST SO FAR - £1355 - Van and flight to southampton + fuel home.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Additional purchases from the last couple of weeks (pics to come once I get the van back!)

Angled gear stick extension - £9.99 delivered off ebay

Pool ball knob (purple no.4) - about £9.00

5th gear selector segments + Circlip + 3L gearbox oil - £42.00 (SEGMENTS AND CIRCLIPS NOW FOR SALE - £5 RECORDED DELIVERY)

NGK glow plugs - £30.00 off ebay (NOW FOR SALE - £25 RECORDED DELIVERY - PM IF WANTED)

Mini twin usb charger for cigarette lighter - £4.00 delivered off amazon

2 x B&Q aluminium bubble wrap insulation - £26

1 x B&Q plastic bottle insulation - £13

1 x roll of B&Q foil tape - £6

2 x 10m rolls of flashband + 1 x Evo Stik impact spray glue + 1 x Different brand spray glue (cheaper, works the same) + Tub of 100 degreasing wipes - £24

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take your time with it anyway mate I'm now 3 years in T:
Yikes :eek: I think the impending redundancy will make sure I take my time with it ha ha. Though I can already feel that a massive part of the enjoyment is the build more than the end result. I intend to enjoy both of course though.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Love the knob, where did you get it?.

The rubber gater will pull over on the first lip of the aluminium extension by the way, that's what it's designed for T:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love the knob, where did you get it?.

The rubber gater will pull over on the first lip of the aluminium extension by the way, that's what it's designed for T:
Got it from this guy on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pool-Ball...arParts_SM&hash=item53d8c1d017#ht_2264wt_1270

Yeah when I put it on this morning I noticed the gaiter needed pulling over. But, the van is at a mechanics at the minute (and he won't be able to look at it either), so I need to get it home and repaired (by anyone mobile ideally please now) before I can even do small things like the gaiter :(

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update from today -

Decided to remove the old panels from back of my van (but keep them of course to carpet at a later date)

So, panel removed, and what do I see . . . . The old insulation I am removing, and a grill up top that is bloody riveted into place :(

So, do I leave the old insulation up top and just put a layer of thermal bubble wrap on back of the ply when I refit it, or, drill the rivets out and start it all from scratch like I am doing on the bottom half?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, the panels all degreased

And ready for flash banding to reduce noise a touch. I am unsure on how much flash band is really needed, as I have seen some cover the whole panels, and some with just a small strip in the middle of the panel . . . . Anyone any thoughts on this?

But, before I got carried away flashing the panels, I realised I had bought my stuff, driven to where my van lives (not at my home) and not brought anything to cut the stuff with A:

After a while sulking in the back of the van, I remembered I had brought my glass hammer from my old car to leave in the van for emergencies, and that it has a seatbelt cutter on it T:

So flashing was able to be cut, very roughly, as it would only cut an inch each side, I then had to tear the rest of it, so not perfectly straight. But these are the results so far

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All work stops now as van has been trailered to a garage. Upon driving the van up the ramps he said he thinks a cylinder has likely gone, causing the smoke and lots of knocking under high revs. So, if thats what is wrong, then it is either engine rebuild or donor engine time. Frankly, looming redundancy means a rebuild is well out of my range. Though a cheap donor engine my redundancy could stretch to.

Frankly I'm rather gutted right now. And I'm just hoping it could be something completely different and easier to fix. So for now, the next 10 days i should be able to get the fuel leak and 5th gear fixed (hopefully).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi mate.I had a 1.9 d m reg with the blue smoke at start for @30 seconds and than dissapeared.I took the head off to fit another one and found one of the cylinders badly pitted and this is were the white smoke was coming from!!The van was unused for a while and a think water donne that to the cylinder...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gutting about the engine dude.

Did u heat the flashband up when u fitted it. On the arch it looks like there are large air bubbles in the indents.
It is actually fairly flexible stuff I'm using. But to be honest, I was surprised I found something to cut it with, so I just put a few strips on as a 'test' really. A test that will be staying on mind, but still. At this point all my worry is about the engine and other problems. But, the slow converting will have to be priority now, as that will be much cheaper in short term, to continue banding and insulating. Not sure how much banding to use?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi mate.I had a 1.9 d m reg with the blue smoke at start for @30 seconds and than dissapeared.I took the head off to fit another one and found one of the cylinders badly pitted and this is were the white smoke was coming from!!The van was unused for a while and a think water donne that to the cylinder...
Having new 5th gear cogs fitted tomorrow, after that, gonna have it trailered back to me. Then I will have to leave it on the drive and can maybe get engine looked at inside to see if it is anything similar. I hope it isn't of course.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aaaaaaaannnnnd, the gearbox is basically knackered :(

Been told it will work 1-4 fine, and the new 5th gear cogs will go on fine, but, if I drive about half a mile in 5th, was told they will likely strip again. Can't remember the ins and outs of why, I was kinda just running costs of a 2nd hand box through my head. Mechanic said something about another part should have 32 teeth on it, but has only got 16 on now.

So, I now need:

2nd hand gearbox

reconned/2nd hand fuel pump

Probable knackered cylinder meaning replacement engine

So, all good so far!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts