VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this way back in 2010 as a second project as I was nearing the completion of my own camper.

The purpose was to give me something to do on the odd occasions when we are quiet at work (self employed). Luckily for me but unlucky for the van, we have been flat out since I bought it and its just sat there all sad on the drive :(

A combination of the wife always saying 'Just get rid of it, your never going to do anything with it' and me having a weeks break due to delay of job mean Ive started to get stuck in :)
This wont be a fast build as i can only really get things done on odd days I have off.

So, to the van, December 2003 (so one of the last) 2.5tdi 888 special, captains seats,cruise etc, damaged front wing but a nice easy repair, the worse bit was the inside, being a refridgerated van its got a fibreglass shell rear but at least the cooler was mounted inside so no holes in roof.

Ive been dreading removing this, but in all fairness, apart from the 4" floor i have yet to do, the rest was pretty much out in a short day.

Pics:

As bought:

Bulkhead :eek:

So today I started on removing rear, on the plus side as this was done from new, the paintwork underneath is like brand new, and ive already got insulation in the places i need it :)

Will be tackling this tomorrow :

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will be watching with interest mate. sure it will be a cool van..... LOL:LOL:
Just looking at the work ahead give me chills LOL:

Got the floor out today, luckily it was just a floating floor and not actually screwed into the steel, so no nasty holes to fill, didn't actually take too long, I reckon the back of one of these could be stripped in a day.

got 4 holes to plug at the front near the bulkhead where all the cooler pipes entered the van, but rather them be there than through the roof.

More work than a normal empty van, but more than worth it for the 'just out the showroom' condition of the paint etc.

Next job, remove bulkhead :)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bulkhead removed this morning, nice easy job.

Bought this spot weld remover kit when I did my last van and its brilliant, much neater than attacking it with a hammer and chisel or angle grinder, not sure why they put so many blades in the kit as im still on the original one and its done 2 vans now.

Welds drilled.

Bulkhead out and all weld plugs dressed back to be painted.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I bought a spot weld drill bit and it broke prety much straight away!! - must have been a cheap one but looked like the one in the pics. resorted to hammer and chisel as did not want sparks flying around!! still cam out fairly easily though.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got side windows delivered last week, in clear direct from Vw, 1 roll or dark smoke tint and half hour later and both tinted, so much easier doing this with the glass out of the van, will be fitting them next.

Clear window:

Tint cut to size:

The finished windows .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts