VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
T5.1 LWB 4Motion T30
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yours may be missing, or broken, so read on.

So, my van came with no engine under tray (the LEX lease history had something about it being missing early in its life, but it may not have ever been supplied on day one).

The air con compressor hangs down there at the front taking everything the road throws at it (and the serpentine belt too, can’t be good eh).

Anyway, I bought one ‘removed from a brand new van’ on ebay (perhaps that’s what happened to mine first time around?) and it duly arrived from Poland. Genuine part, clearly very new, but no fixings. So cleared out the threads (M8) in the engine subframe and offered it up, juggled it around, found the threads and juggled it a bit more, now all nicely attached with some shiny stainless bolts and penny washers.

BUT, what’s this hole in the middle at the back for (unthreaded hole in the centre of the flat section of subframe under where the steering rack attaches above), so start looking around.

EUREKA! There should be a clip in the hole, but I don’t have one, look around for a listing for the fixings on line and see a grainy image of a double ended plastic clip that both holds the tray in place whilst you start the bolt threads and lines the holes up for you.

Can’t either fashion one, or buy one on its own aftermarket, so off to the dealer.

Surprise, surprise, yes we can get those sir, be here for you tomorrow at the princely sum of £1.50 inc VAT.

Never has such a small inexpensive thing bought such joy (she said). No more holding the tray up with your forehead trying to line up bolts with invisible holes, whilst trying not to crack the plastic around the one you’ve already ‘got in’ if you drop it. Hook the front of the tray into the bumper, push the hole in the tray over the clip, bingo.

So here it is, part number and all, hope this helps. Nik:

Hand tool Household hardware Tool Office instrument Wood

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Wow never knew that, i did retro fit the undertray to my old van as I was worried that at some point the engine or something would get a rock under it, my newer one already has one but that part will be on my shopping list

·
Registered
T5.1 LWB 4Motion T30
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must admit that I took the plunge to fit the under-tray after a mechanic I know we’ll had the misfortune to run over a builder’s china mug that had been dropped/left in the road in his (not VW) van and the ricocheting shards went through his cam belt cover and severed the belt, with the resulting catastrophic failure of his engine.

Result, engine rebuild.

A pretty extreme and hopefully unrepeatable episode, but the full-on assault of everything hitting the serpentine belt as it runs around the air con compressor pulley and the electrical components like the alternator and starter right there on the front of the engine, anything I can do to improve the situation has to good.

I come from an era when nothing had an under tray trim piece, but then, makers couldn’t give anti perforation warranties either because they’d fail there first mot for having wheel arches like cheese graters, so onwards and upwards eh.

ahhhhh the good old bad old days.

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,748 Posts
They usually put that clip only on cars/vans with the bigger heavier steel undertrays. Where it is very welcome once you get old and weak. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts