VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorted at last.

Its been emotional as they say but at last i now have my 2001 t4 lwb van registered as exempt from the LEZ "cash cow".
it has taken almost 18 months but here is a quick summery of my ordeal .

I have had the van from new and converted it almost 2 years ago.

about 18 months ago and took it to maidstone to be reclassified,

the guy there said he could only classify it as a day van,????????????

between maidstone and wimbledon they lost the paper work

several months of phone calls and promises from wimbledon i still had not received any confirmation.

agreed with a man at wimbledon that if i took the van to wimbledon ( 25 miles of traffic as it is the other side of london to me ) he would get it sorted

took the van to wimbledon about 4 months ago , the guy told me that there had just been a new regulation passed that requires camper vans to look like proper camper vans and not panel vans converted. As i had applied for the reclassification several months before the new regulation he said he would see what he could do . but pointed out that there is no such thing as a day van

A couple of weeks later i received my new v5 form stating that the van is now classified as a motor caravan

sent off copy of new v5 to LEZ bods

got a letter back some weeks later saying that the camper van needs to be under 2.5 tonnes and that i would need to send them a weigh bridge ticket to confirm weight .

so off to the local council weigh bridge and got myself a ticket stating the van is only 2.24 tonnes

Sent off paper work again waited a few weeks then received a letter telling me they needed photographic evidence of vans VIN plate

bought a blank plate off ebay ( £10 ) and got it stamped at a local trophy shop ( £15 )

sent photos off plus copies of all correspondents between me and the LEZ

a few weeks ago i received a letter telling me i am now registered as a LEZ User :confused:

checked the auto checker on the LEZ site and found i was still not exempt

Rang them this morning and they could not have been more helpful .T:

20 mins later and my van is now LEZ charge exempt

THE END.

As i said at the beginning this is a very abridged version of events and i can assure you all i will be giving the boris cameras "the finger" every time i go into the Zone

Safe driving everybody and happy new year
Brian

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Gotta admire the T4 spirit T:

So glad I live in Somerset I:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I about to start the process, one question. The vim plate?? Is that something inhale to take off and put a new one on with all up to date details. I'm having my camper weighed this weekend so would it be best to send off all the info together.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Can't understand the DIY VIN plate, your VIN number will never change so you could have just photographed the one on your van:*

·
Registered
724 Posts
Can't understand the DIY VIN plate, your VIN number will never change so you could have just photographed the one on your van:*
So you can raclassify the weight to under the 2500kgs. VIN number on the new plate will be the same.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
After converting my van, I took the photos and had her weighed. Sent it all off to DVLA with a covering letter and stated that GVW would now be 2.45 tonne. A few weeks later, a new V5 arrived stating Motor Caravan with afor-mentioned GVW. I then waited 4 weeks for TFL's computer data base to catch up with DVLA, then phoned TFL. Spoke to a very nice lady and said I thought I should be LEZ compliant. She agreed and changed it on the system there and then. Simples. A:A:A:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts