VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great liitle video, featuring vwt4sam, shot by his bro Henry. I know there is more in the pipeline ( rubbish pun :rolleyes::no ) in terms of video and photographic stuff to come from him. A lot of surfers I know will understand this.
Well done guys quality bit o work A:.................

http://vimeo.com/33596946

Keep 'em coming Harry !

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I need to go more only been once:D but loved it, done some snowboarding for a few years but can't afford it now with all the kids!!! See what next year brings!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
It bored me
I know how to make tea and toast

Id prefer he showed us more of his van or more wave action

or better still Dave (bigcat) doing a shopping channel style talk on his roof storage things for boards
*<:)>

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
So true ....... live to surf .... it`s the only way....... Puts indeed by the looks of things....never really enjoyed it there....had some outstanding times in Wooly though .... 7 yrs on and off....Croye wasn`t too bad either..... Lynmouth rocked in the bleak winter months :ILU:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
To be fair to both Sam and Harry...............

The vid was shot as part of Harry's second year photo journalism course. He was beaten up by thugs during the riot in Birmingham earlier in the year and had a lot of camera gear stolen in the same incident, which significantly put back his course work, so this needed to be done in a hurry.
He has spent many hours shooting stills mostly in the water this year in Devon and Cornwall and also Hossegor and other breaks in France.
The context of the video needed to include someone discussing their situation, not unfortunately to showcase the sport.
Sam has only been surfing for about 3 years and like many of us sat inland, his desire or need to surf is as great as those fortunate to live closer to a break.
"Product placement" is entireley coincidental.
Whilst these guys are mates of mine I still think that it captures the mood of many guys who get stuck in the "Working to scrape together the diesel money to go surf" situation, as opposed to those who just show up and "surf" in the middle of summer, because their mates think it's "cool".

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Surfer from the midlands? Many waves close by?
Nearest waves are 2hrs away. Its hard but when your commited its easily do able.

The best thing about living central is not relying on long flat spells/onshore surf from the south west for weeks at a time. Knowing i can check the might NE coast and be there within couple of hours really helps at times. Vice versa also.

e.g last weekend perfect example.
While the SW had crappy onshore slop, the North East was basking in pumping offshore conditions...!!!

I've lived in North Devon for a while many moons ago and also on the NE coast. Unfortunetely here i reside in the central of Greatest Britain. I take a bit of everything and miss nothing. Thankfully a very flexible job and understanding boss keeps me catching the best of the swellsT:T:

Last weekend

If i could live anywhere. Costa Rica for me. Love the placeT:

Im not the best surfer in the world, but usually raise a few eyebrows when i tell people where im from
Just love me surfing:ILU:

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
The right attitude Stoo A:

Nice pics of the NE Coast, I recognise that lurvely silty brown colour.... I:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Great attitude from Stoo there A:T: Truly committed ( or maybe should be I:;) ! *<:)>

There are many occasions when I've put £60 of diesel in the van, to drive to North Devon for a dawn surf in summer and be back on the M5 northbound by 9.30 on a saturday morning and home for lunchtime, having missed all the crowds and had a good surf too.
One saturday this summer was chatting out the back with two of my mates, one from Chepstow and one from near me, with a guy from Stevenage, who'd also turned up to catch waves at 5am, he too was going home to be with his kids in the afternoon.
Many moons ago we used to drive from home onto Gower for an evening surf too after work.

·
Registered
598 Posts
loving the vid dude, im also from worcestershire and surf as much as i can. probarbly around once/ twice a month for a few days, take a trip down to n devon hit croyde and local areas. really cant beat it, best feeling. merry christmas

vwsurf :ILU:*<:)>

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
There's a chap in the village where I live who has on occasion done a day trip to Newquay. :eek: now that's approx 600 miles round trip. That is certifiable!

I always take my kit with me if I manage to arrange a meeting near (within 50miles) of a break that is likely to be working. Had a Northumberland break all to myself couple of years ago. Fabulous wet November afternoon. :cool: the couple walking their dog asked me if I was a little mad as I was getting changed I:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cheers for the complements guys my brother worked hard on it. Would have been nice to make it longer but his uni brief was to make a 2 minute film. T:

·
Registered
124 Posts
hats off to anyone that has a long surf commute and is on it week in and week out. I'm 10 mins from my closest wave and still struggle to get there some days due to family commitments etc, guess you guys haven't got any kids yet :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts