VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts
Discussion starter · #45 ·
They look superb , how wide is the bed ?
Its a standard 3/4 width bed i did have the measurements but not to hand. However will fit an evo 2.0 kitchen haha.

As for other news vinyl is happening this week so spent the weekend sanding sanding, sanding, priming and sanding.......
Very long days but happy with the results and should really make the vinyl look spot on.

Annnnnnd time to sleep. Zzzzzzzzz.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
😯 wow! Just how rough was the body ?
I assumed by 'sanding' you meant more of a wet flat with 1000 grit . .
What day is it going in ?
I had started to just do a wet sand but when I recovered the bump strips down the side they had a paint ridge from a previous spray job then the more I flatted it off in all corners the worse it got 😄

Mr Ben? What did you fill the holes in your floor with and how did you treat them? I'm getting the brackets from mine removed this week and I want to know what is the best way to pug the holes.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Mr Ben? What did you fill the holes in your floor with and how did you treat them? I'm getting the brackets from mine removed this week and I want to know what is the best way to pug the holes.
I used a car body flexible sealant, I bought it to seal around the 240v hookup flap I intend to fit. Will find out the ne of it when I get the van back.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Im thinking about having the top half of my van wrapped in the future.
Is all the sanding and prepping required just so I can get a plan put together when it comes to it.👍
Its only required if you have any scratches or blemishes, the vinyl will show everything so the smoother it is the better the finish. I had bump strips down the side of the van which I removed however they had a ridge of paint or lacquer so had to knock it back.

Its only required if you have any scratches or blemishes, the vinyl will show everything so the smoother it is the better the finish. I had bump strips down the side of the van which I removed however they had a ridge of paint or lacquer so had to knock it back.
Will definitely have to dobthat task on the van as there are all sorts of small scratches across the top half of the van!😂
Guess I'll have to drive it for a while like it as well!
Thanks for the help👍

I used a car body flexible sealant, I bought it to seal around the 240v hookup flap I intend to fit. Will find out the ne of it when I get the van back.
Cheers. I had wondered if there were actually screw holes fixed to the underside. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when we pick it up!

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Cheers. I had wondered if there were actually screw holes fixed to the underside. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when we pick it up!
Yes you have 2 retaining bolts per seat mount, you do need to remove under van trims plus drop the fuel tank to get to them. Sounds worse than it is took me about an hour all in all.

Yes you have 2 retaining bolts per seat mount, you do need to remove under van trims plus drop the fuel tank to get to them. Sounds worse than it is took me about an hour all in all.
I got a mechanic to remove mine when he fixed the heater. He said it was a long and tricky job which I am taking as forewarning for a big bill. Still, someone may buy the parts which will help towards the costs.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
What a saga this project has become!!! Been quiet for a few weeks as plenty has gone on. Firstly we got the van wrapped and asked for metallic gunmetal grey however the company wrapping decided to wrap it in gloss nardo grey..... looks nice but not what I asked for!

So after a week of back and forth they ended up removing the wrap and giving us a full refund. Now the van is booked in to have the colour we actually asked for. In the meantime with some help from a family member we cut the windows in.

It's like a different van inside!
I also started to sort out the floor with the advice from van creations who are fitting our poptop they recommend fitting 9mm spacers on the floor then 12mm ply over the top.

Also as our front bumper was pretty shot with lumps and bumps this time for wrapping we took the opportunity to face-lift. I picked up the lights and grill from Facebook market place then got some pattern bumper and bonnet bits from ebay. Overall fitted surprisingly well however the bumper arrived with transit damage and I had to argue to get any kinda refund!

Just waiting
Ting on the correct fog lights and also I'm getting the bonnet sprayed by a friend who sprays as my Halford rattlecan job isn't up to scratch!

So as it stands we have wrapping next week, floor to fit, carpeting, start electrics then kitchen due in a few weeks and poptop die in a few weeks. Take it easy all :)

what a strange thing to do, wrap it in the colour you didnt ask for, what did they think was going to happen ? good job it was only wrap and not paint.

Having said that i kinda liked that nardo/reflex silver two tone wrap lol

I was digging the nardo grey combo, personally I would have said "thats the wrong colour" and tried to get a discount rather than redo it 😂but when you know what you want you know what you want I guess!

Another vote for the nardo 👍 .....i hope the metallic looks even better :cool:.

I get totally pee'd off with everything you buy these days not being as good or the service doesn't match up to how it should be ....i put it down to me just be a grumpy b'stard .

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.