VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1993, 1.9d, T4 back in 2011 as a kind of early inheritance off my uncle. It had issues when I got it, leaking oil, water and diesel but he told me as long as I keep topping em up it’d run forever. So for the last 4 years that’s about all I’ve been doing as well as throwing a monkey at it every time the MOT comes round, not great with the spanners so garage bills mount up. I don’t do a great deal of miles but use it daily for work and starts after the 7th or 8th turn. That was up until Christmas. Battery warning light started flashing about month before, thought alternator probably shot due to the daily shower of diesel coming from the throttle spindle, before finally refusing to start at all. Parked it up and thought seriously about chucking the towel in, scrapping it, borrowing some cash and buying a T5! Misses hates it, the kids won’t be seen dead in it and the thought of having to throw more money at it for someone to sort it was doing me head in. A bloke at work offered to take it off me hands but something he said struck a chord. ‘You’ve got treat a T4 as a hobby’ he said. That sentence totally changed the way I viewed the situation, alright it’s a bit of a cliché but I looked at the problems and treated them as challenges. So in January I got me head under the bonnet to have a look at the extent of the issues and that’s where you lot come in. Having registered on the forum in 2013 and writing a newbie ‘hi everyone’ haven't visited much up until this year. If it wasn't for the how to’s and how not to’s posted here I wouldn't have attempted any of the work myself but I found (with your help) alternator just needed new voltage regulator (16 quid), water leak turned out to be a cracked coolant flange on the cylinder head (7 quid) and the diesel leak was from the throttle spindle/bush/o-ring (£50) and goosed fuel filter/pipes (15 quid), so I’ve got my van back on the road, saved a small fortune by doing it myself and enjoyed every minute (well almost)! So cheers to everyone that contributes to the site, keep up the great work and now I’ve got me hands dirty I will start contributing more. Although I’ve rekindled my love for the van the misses and kids still hate it but that’s an added bonus!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Brilliant.....A:

Despite having rebuilt a number of petrol engines, I must confess to a fear of diesels, so maybe there is hope for me yet..

·
Registered
457 Posts
Great one lol now the money you saved doing it yourself put some bit in there for the other half and kids.T:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rebuild! that's a good few levels above the stuff I've been attempting! Next job for me is bodywork, which again I'm hoping there's plenty of info on here. My main worry is under the windscreen seal but that's a summer job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great one lol now the money you saved doing it yourself put some bit in there for the other half and kids.T:
Now the vans running the misses has a load of DIY lined up :( , it's me daughters 21st so that's gonna cost and me lads going snowboarding with school which cost more than the price of a new rock n roll bed, that I ain't getting this year!

·
Registered
945 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished! Glad you got the van running nicely. You can't get much simpler than the 1.9d/1.9td/2.4d. They don't really ask for much and considering yours is an old 1993 it's done well only needing those basics. I think that you get out what you put in with an old vehicle. If you look after it, it will look after you! It's worked so far with me (my last car, a diesel vw of course, was 32 years old and I sold it, reluctantly, running perfectly with a full MOT, it never let me down). Just keep on top of things, treat it with respect and keep chipping away at the niggles! You might even fall in love with it haha!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the encouragement VWmad2012 but any chance you can put your crystal ball away just long enough for me to run the van for a trouble free week (‘it’s done well only needing those basics’):D. Yesterday I took delivery of a new sump gasket and oil pressure switch, putting an end to me diesel leaks. Read up on how to do the sump gasket, looks a bit tricky so decided to leave that until I get a dry weekend to tackle it, didn’t fancy lying in a puddle this weekend, so I fit the new pressure switch, simple enough. Decided to take the van out for a spin and take the dog down the beach. Now the dog's not a massive fan of the van either, he’s either sick in it or if he not had a number two for a couple of hours will nip one off in the back, lucky I’ve got laminate down so not too messy. Anyway, I started the van, oil light came on, flashing, didn’t do that with the old leaky one! Checked oil level, which was fine so I set off light blinking away. Pulled up at a set of lights and the oil light went off but as soon as I accelerated away it came back on again, no idea what’s going on! So after a 10 minute drive I stopped, walked the dog for an hour, got back in the van and decided to take it for a long run, see what the oil light would do. After about 20 minutes of driving the oil light was still happily blinking away when all of a sudden the sodding coolant light joined the dashboard disco! It was dark by now so headed for home proper puzzled. As the interior light came on when I opened the door it was immediately apparent why the coolant light had come on! The floor of the van was wet through and I couldn't blame the dog cause he was flat out in the back so it looks like the heater matrix has now give up the ghost (there was no smell of antifreeze because I’d only filled it with tap water as I’ve still got a replacement hose on back order). I need the van for work next week so tomorrow’s job is to bypass the heater matrix then search this fabulous site to find out how to swap it out, then try and fathom out what going on with me oil pressure. Just chipping away at the niggles:bhd

·
Registered
836 Posts
Flashing oil light - was the new switch the same colour as the old one? If not it will switch at a different pressure. If its not that then there may a wiring problem - one of the sensors is fed off the alternator (blue wire I think). Check for a corroded connection.
Hate to be a prophet of doom but I think the matrix will mean stripping out the dashboard - try a google search as the forum search leaves a lot to be desired...........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info vwstevens, the old switch was black. I ordered a new one from a Swansea based T4 parts suppliers and their web site warned that there were different switches for my year of van, they request the chassis number to ensure the correct one is sent. I did as requested and a black one turned up so I'll check the wiring tomorrow as you suggest. And yep, it's dash out to get to the heater matrix. Luckily the blokes at Haynes have final brought out a workshop manual for diesel transporters, which has a pretty good section on dashboard removal, in for a penny.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts