VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... thoroughly nice people to deal with.

Had to call them out to the van on Monday morning. They were there within about 30 mins, got me started and spent ages looking for what had cause my battery to drain. The guy was friendly and helpful and I got on my way.

Roll on to wednesday morning, because I knew there was a drain on the battery (although I have unplugged the offending drain) I didn't want to risk going to Manchester airport and leaving the van for almost two days incase it flattened the battery again and as I hadn't had chance to go to the garage/consult the forum fully, and I wouldn't be able to call them out again for the same fault.

Anyway I borrowed my mum's new Octavia - less then 2 months old and got in it last night after two days of meetings in Copenhagen and the thing wouldn't start. I call Skoda assist, who send out the RAC. They say it could be up to 90 mins. After 15 I get a call from the patrol to say he is just getting on the motorway and will be there is 10 and he was. Again very helpful, very friendly and all the problem was, was a suspect air block in the fuel so he turned it over and over and over and it eventually went ( I didn't do it for fear of killing the battery or something). He even followed me to the petrol station incase it wouldn't start again.

I would really rate them and was really impressed with the service they gave, and was expecting the worst after reading horror stories about hours of waiting for recovery services.

Not sure what they are like on price as cover for the van is through work and obviously the Skoda is through Skoda assist.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Used them a few times, I originally bought my cover years ago when my bike was my main transport, then I bought myself a car & now obviousely then van. Had to call them not to long ago for the van & the guy was ace. Price is no different to when I first paid up appart from the obvious inflation.

Can't praise them enough

·
Registered
649 Posts
I signed up with them through the old Tesco points last year, we have used them 3 times on the wife's little Peugeot 106 diesel and they have been superb everytime, always arrived well before the estimated time.

Cant recommend them enough. Could we get a Forum discount set up perhaps???????

Smokey.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I saw an RAC van this morning with a guy stood next to it in tears,

pulled up next to it an said... You OK mate ?. He replied no im havin a breakdown .

LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw an RAC van this morning with a guy stood next to it in tears,

pulled up next to it an said... You OK mate ?. He replied no im havin a breakdown .

LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
Thats awful...someone get this man his coat

·
Registered
472 Posts
i'm with the rac too,never had any probs always come out fairly quick ,much quicker than the aa who take at least 2 hours to get to you,then send the wrong type of veichle out so you then have to wait another 2-3 hours at least for the right veichle to turn up

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
i renewed my rac cover today for me and her with the forum discount T: and the extra tenner they add for vans :confused: cost me 99 quid

andy

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
here ya go mate ABVWC Forum Discounts

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25383

ps forgot to mention when they said it was a xtra tenner for vans i told them i already paid it last year and expected it to be included in the price on the invoice,

so they waived it and included it in the price i was quoted then deducted my discount i saved aprox 25 quid plus the tenner T:

andy

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Used to work for them and had to used them this year when i crappy old part ex broke down ,the patrol got a battery pack and jump leads into the car (the alternator had died )
and i drove it 6 miles to work and he followed me all the way ,i was only 5 mins late for work ,top guys
The werent that good when they made me redundant!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found the RAC to be total **** as far as my caravelle was concerned.

It wouldn't fire up, turned over ok.

First guy came and said i needed a new coil, £50 later and it was still the same.

Second guy came out and said i needed a whole new distributor! £120 from the main dealer!

Sod that i thought, so i changed plugs, dist cap, ht leads etc. Still no joy.

Then i jumped on here and searched for a solution, was advised it was probably the ignition starter switch and to check, all i had to do is hold the key to the right as i started it...

Worked straight away, part to replace is about £20 from VW

So, already out of pocket by £50 I would have spent another £120 if i had listened to the RAC and it still wouldnt have started,,

Bloody useless bunch as far as i'm concerned!

Cheerio

Minty

·
Registered
618 Posts
Bad experience witht he RAC here too i'm afriad.

I had a metro city years ago and one day coming out of work the fan belt snapped, no worries i'd just call out the RAC. Out came the patrol, looked under the bonnet said "your fan belt snapped i'll get one from the van". Got the part, went back to the car and tried to fit the fan belt and after a little bit of head scratching said it although it was the right one for the car he couldn't get it to fit and he was going to fit the next size up, fair enough i thought as he should know what they are doing and did really think any more of it.

6 days later the new belt snapped, i would say because it was the wrong bloody size, so this time on on the hard shoulder of the motorway, called them again and out came a different guy this time and same proble, "this is the right belt for the car but i can't get it to fit i'll fit the next size up". This time my response was "no your not", took the tools off the guy an fitted the correct belt while showing the patrol how to do it. At the time the metro wasa as the factory built it, so there should have been no reason why the proper belt wouldn't fit

A simple belt repair and it seemed so difficult i lost confidence in the RAC and joined the AA and have been wioth them 10 years now with no problems , the few times they have been called out they have been diamond.

I'm sure there are good and bad patrol men for all rescue services i just don't know where the RAC got the 2 i dealt with from

·
Registered
532 Posts
agree with last comment , good and bad in all recovery services...
my last breakdown 2 weeks ago , my cover is with my insurance so local garage came out....big concern Gwalia recovery services......the man [ wont call him mechanic] arrived , pulled up in fron ot my van , yawned and got out [ 7.30 sat night] Its lpg isnt it.....then its 2.5 petrol isnt it, then these are rare, then bloody hell its auto also. then tried it, twice then sain I cant do anything, you will have to get garage to sort it, I will arrange flat bed to tow it omewhere for you.
then ****** off....
I then whilst waiting for recovery kept trying it and wo and behold it started.....
Monday took it to my garage and left it all day, they coulkdnt find fault. and its been great ever since....

GWALIA......9GUYS OUT OF TEN GREAT ...THE EX BUS MECHANIC ...****......

·
Registered
17 Posts
T:ILU:hey kept me waiting for the recovery, 10 hours on the M2 after i just brought a 1979 golf, and then 2 hour drive back to hanwell, this was jan 2008. never mind thats life.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts