VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sinking too much money into my dying t5, and with the a little bambino life wrecker on the way, i needed to get something a bit more family friendly and more importantly something in decent working order!

Spent months looking (lets face it though, you never actually stop looking do you?) and found this on autotrader, had most of the things i wanted being factory kombi, air con and 140 engine. I do a fair amount of miles commuting so in my head, i needed the 140, made sense to me anyway. It wasn't as clean as i'd hoped (they never are) but thought i'd be a good place to start. Plans are basically do what i did to my old man, turn it into a functional day van with carpet/leisure battery/carpet blah blah. Also want to get some slightly bigger wheels and maybe drop it a bit, nothing crazy though so not sure whether i should just get springs or go whole hog and get coilovers. Nothing overly original here though sorry.

Drive from Preston back to sunny Swansea went fine. 3 day later, drive shaft has a bit a moment, by moment i mean stop working. Luckily i bought it from a garage, so the guy just told me to take it to my local garage and he'd pay over the phone. Winner!

It used to belong to a handy man, so, well, every where. Cue before and after photo:

It being a handyman's van also meant that it had roof racks on at the some point, and obviously they didn't replace the bolts when they removed the racks (i mean, who on earth would want to replace bolts!?) so there was a fair amount of moisture under the rubber foor. So treated everything i could see and sealed any holes and stuff that i could find. Not the most fun job i've ever done!

So yeah, bit of a slow burn this one as i'm limited on time, find myself stealing power hours whenever i can between changing nappies and dealing with a partner with 'baby brain'. One thing i have done though is fulfil my silentcoat wetdream! Found a bulk pack of 2mm silent coat that i'd forgotten about so thought i'd give it a go. Took me ages, instantly regretted starting it as soon as i had, the results are amazing though, really helped get rid of road noise. Naturally all i can hear now is hear all the other rattles, including my 'taxi squeek', will have to figure that out at some point.

(Yeah, i under-ordered the 4mm for the wheel arch again...)

So yeah, lots of work to do, not a lot of time to get it done, standard!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
todays little power hour results. thanks to absolut5 for supply the harness gubbins and generally putting up with me.
also, nice shiny new cup holder/ash tray. how do people break these!? for some reason socket isn't receiving power, tried fuse, checked wiring as far as i could see, got bored, i'll come back to it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
started my audio upgrade today, seeing as the setup in the 5.1 seems rubbish compared to m t5 (both running stock speakers from what i can tell).
Instantly regretted starting it, those metal insert bits are a bit of a brain tickler. Find it helps if i read peoples very helpful posts all the way through rather than just the first few lines, my bad! Coated door in silent coat panels (continuing my silent coat we dream) and then some of their isolate stuff on top, hoping to stop some reflections. No idea if it'll make any difference, but i saw Wasson use some on his van, and i appeared to have done some drunk internetting at some point as some turned up at my house, thought i'd best use it!
Went for Focal components, for no reason other than i know they make really, really, really nice hifi stuff so i'm hoping it translates into their car stuff. Putting it all back together today, dreading those spiral clip things, they look like they could break me!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quick update:
the focal's sound great. really great. the hf i fierce though so running on -3db which is switchable in the crossover. tweeter placement isn't the best on a t5 so to be expected. i'm having to drive head unit a bit harder than i was before (which is understandable) so thinking of getting some kind of amp gubbins to run the whole lot when i install rears and sub. see how that goes.

in the mean time, had some fun running this in today.

was also a good excuse to take door lock mechanism thing off the door so i could silent coat (I THINK I HAVE SILENT COAT ISSUES) and insulate behind the door.
in true one good, one bad fashion, i got the camera working, yay! in the process, door closed on side dash panel which i'd taken off to run cables in, completely destroying the airbag on/off with a key switch thing, nay!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Looks like a good base van at least its progress - not easy getting motivated to work on the van over winter. Have hundreds of parts to fit on mine.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a good base van at least its progress - not easy getting motivated to work on the van over winter. Have hundreds of parts to fit on mine.
the weather doesn't bother me as long as it's dry, but having a 3 month old child, a dog and it being christmas there's not a lot of time left for shevanigans.

vans alright though, as you say good base van to add to and, most importantly, unlike my old t5, it starts!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where/how have you run the cable for the reversing camera if you don't mind me asking
Well, it's funny you should ask that.... because the answer at the moment is: wrong.
Im most of the way there, run positive from camera off reverse light feed (which is green and black), run negative to earthing point, all of this done at the back of the van near the cluster itself, then run video cable to the head unit.
Where i'm going wrong is i need to supply a signal to the head unit so it knows when to engage, which is done by attaching same power feed to the pink (i think) cable in the head unit harness. Now, some people on here who're a lot smarter than me will tell you you can take a feed from the bcm module which is under the drivers side lower dash (this is covered in loads of threads), however there's a lot of cable science going on in there and when i tried it, my windscreen wipers wouldnt turn off so i clearly got it wrong. So, i'm going to tap into camera power feed (which runs half way up the van as its loomed in with the video cable then double backs on itself where it splits from the video cable) by running a single core cable from the head unit to that, slam a crimp on it, cry when it doesnt work.

I hope all this makes sense, i got a day release card from the misses so may be a few pints in!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. And it will be fine. Everything happens best after a few pints!! T:
with a slightly fuzzy head, ran said cable in this morning to the head unit, the head unit cable is purple (with a hint of pink). it now works correctly, auto switches on when i select reverse. hooraah!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some boring pictures of the boring bits i got to finally finish over the last few days. Ready for carpet now, bangin'!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi @safetygav,

Looking good so far mate, when you say bulk pack of silent coat was this the 40 sheets (375 x 270 mm) around £80 from the auction site?

And how much of the isolator have you used?

And last one, have you done your cab in silent coat, I know you mentioned the doors for the upgraded speakers?

I am looking at doing something very similar, although doubt I will put a bed in it, as more for lugging scout camping equipment, bikes, climbing and canoes around - with the odd chance of kipping in there - just want it to be more comfortable to drive.

Thanks buddy.
Jim

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi jim
I'm a bit hazy on quantities of silent coat, i had some left over from last van, i've bought at least 1 extra bulk pack (same dims as what you said), i also for some unknown reason bought a smaller pack which was a late night not checking what i'm buying purchase, and i've still got a few sheets left over. The isolator i think i've gone through 1.5 packs ish, i realised today i haven't done the sliding door as i was a bit over eager to get it buttoned up. I think i have 3.5 sheets left, not sure if that'll be enough so might order another pack just to be safe. Any left overs will get used somewhere.

I haven't done the cab yet, i'm trying to get away from taking stuff apart my van twice (apart from sliding door, fml) so when it comes to carpeting i'm going to have to take seats out, so plan on doing cab floor while i'm there. I'm back in work now so have some indoor warehouse space to do it which makes life way easier!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no real updates, but caught her in front of a rainbow the other day which i thought looked nice. there she is, in all her m4 corridor muck...

january invoices will be paid soon then it's game on!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so, after the n/s back light cluster was cracked and letting in water since i bought it, i fancied a little upgrade. after i ordered them i did a bit of research into wiring them etc, and found they've come into a bit of stick recently.... and with hindsight on my side, i kinda agree with you, i prefer to sportline ones. but i've spent my money now so got to live with it, don't think they look bad though!

was nice to get out and work on it though, fixed a few other things like poor output on my n/s high level brake light (terminal had snapped inside block) so now they're all new, replaced a load of seals, happy days!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
went to see colin of oxford t5 fame, what a nice chap. his shop is also an aladdins cave of stuff! picked up some new rear seats, originally from a t6 i think, in 'samora' finish. just got to keep an eye out for matching front captains now. if anyone sees a pranged t6, let me know!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
project captains seats complete, full set of simora finish seats front and back, happy days. irony being they're now covered with some cheapy seat covers.....

next project: change sliders for fixed windows, and while they're out get metal work carpeted. slowly slowly, catchy monkey.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, now the weather is warm enough i'm back camping in works warehouse, sleeping in the van, which feels great to actually use the van for one of the many reasons why i bought it. It also feels like it's meant to be, with the camp bed fitting between the rear seats and rear doors almost perfectly. Since photo was taken i did add a little radiator and moved the bed to the other side so i could just open one door in the morning, which is my commute to work!

But, after 2 nights of looking at an unfinished interior using my head torch, i got unreasonably high and the orders are in to finish it.
So, arriving shortly are: replacement windows from VGC including barn door windows which i'll have to cut out and fit, which i've never done before, which is making me nervous. Carpet from MVM to do metal work and panels, split charge and 240 hookup including socksets/battery chargers etc from travel volts, ply pack from ebay, some focal 6x9's for the rear and a 4 channel pioneer amp to run fronts and rears, which i'll hopefully upgrade to focal at a later date and roof leds.

i can hear my wallet crying.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts