VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, and my first van and you guessed it my first conversion. It is something i have wanted to do for years but hadn’t found a decent base vehicle within budget and had to just thrown a tent in the car or find some other bed to sleep in.

I’m not planning for this conversion to be an epic spec out van.
I’m aiming to make something that is practical and can be used day to day, with or without the bed unit in it. Whilst being comfortable enough to spend weekends in and maybe odd euro road trip.

The base vehicle is a 2001 1.9TD ABL SWB.

First thing to do was to take off the old ply panels and rip up the floor to see what we have underneath.

As you can see from the photos i was pleasantly surprised..only a couple of surface rust spots, which got treaded then painted.

I have taken the panels off. There was a very poor attempt at insulation which was ripped out and i replaced it with flash band and recycled plastic bottles. Reason being the plastic will not absorb the moisture that will be created when sleeping in the van and the flash band is very good at reflecting heat and lowering the amount of road noise and panel rattle. The ones not flash banned i have left, as im going to cut them out when i put the windows in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the next thing was to treat the floor.
I used plasti dip (from here http://www.plastidip.co.uk/?CFID=10...essionid=84308df3259135aeed85595a6352068a6061)

Lots of people are now starting to use this stuff in the auto industry for all sorts of things from, dipping wheels through to full sprays on body work. It a very cool product that dries to a rubbery grippe finish but can be applied to anything. I used it on the floor pan as its water proof so should stop any corrosion if things get split or from condensation from sleeping in the van. Well that the idea I:

After Once that was down, i had to get the rails in for the seats.
I picked up some mazad bongo seats from flee bay. I have read the pros and cons about putting in bongo seat in a t4 some people said it would work some people aren't into them...they were the right price so i thought it would give them a bash.

Getting the rails lined up right and clear of the sub frame was a bit of a issue.. I thought about placing the seats on the offside but couldn't get a decent placement that would be clear of the sub frame when dropped the coach bolts through, so opted for the drivers side.

I had to remove the heat shield for the exhaust so i could get in there to grind through a massive amounts for wax oil off to get some bare metal to weld the anchor plates to. Not a job the lungs liked:blg! but eventually i got all the plates in with solid welds on them so they would pass the MOT...which it hasT:

Now that the seat are in i like them and they work perfectly...I think they work well in a T4

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tazmangolfer: that's a wicked table! Didn't know other people had a Space invader theme going on....looks like im joining the clubT:

Getting position of the rails before drilling and welding

Photos of the seat rails in

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next was the insulation. I Used recycled bottles to put in-between the ply panel and the flash band. The reason being it will be less likely to hold water in it behind the panels due to condensation when sleeping in the van, and its light. I want to keep the weight down on this project as the 1.9td only has 68bhp when it was brand spanking! not exactly a rapid rock
I split the plastic wool in half when lining as it just wouldn't fit in whole!.

After that it was space blanket on the panels and on the floor pan with silver foil tape to seal it all in.... The space blanket works really well on the floor pan. Stops the wood knocking and lets it sit well.

Cutting and fitting the floor, was a trial and error scenario. Even though i had made a stencil and transferred that to the wood i still had to take the bit in and out of the van a couple of time to shave mm off here and there to make it fit perfectly.
I found it alot easier to chop the wood into two sections.
I had planned to drop it in all in one piece but this was just to much of a mission so broke it down into two.

Both bits fitted

Next thing on the list was getting the carpet lining in... This is a slow and back crippling job, but just took it slow and my joints got better as i moved along the job. If i was to do it again, i would lay the flet out in a large dry area and cut the panel pieces out of it first and then you would be left with one continuous piece. You would need help to fit it but it think this would be a faster and easier way to do it...

here it is with all pilers carpeted. Blue panel will be cut out for window at some point

So onto the floor....I looked at a couple of options from vinyl, through to keeping the original load matt. But i decided not to use the van matt as it is soooooo heavy and didn't want to use vinyl as every one seems to have that in there van. So i went GREEN and got some fake grass. It prob won't be as easy to get mud off it and spillages wont be as easy to clean up but i like the look of it and it works,so its in.

Its was also the easiest thing to fit i have ever worked with...hook knife 5mins and it was in.

Once that was done it was onto the bed. So as i had said before i wanted to be able to take the bed unit in and out of the van. I looked at lots of ways of doing this and pre-made units that you can buy...which in general are astronomically expensive!
So it was down to the timber yard to pick up some wood and knock up a simple frame myself.
As you can see its very basic at the moment. Its held in place by 4 metal plates screwed into the four corners on the unit and then bolted down to the lashing points in the back.

Lid on

The unit is solid and quite light aswel. I can easily lift it in and out of the van myself. On top of it i will have a topper mattress and when the mazad bongo seats are folded forward it make a full length double bed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting some new wheels.

Went and saw colese a couple of weeks back. Had lowered the van and put some eibach 45mm in the back and wound down the front. All went real smooth for me although i know some people have a nightmare with the 27mm front torsion bar bolt.
Once it was down i knew it had to get some new wheels to fill up the arches nicely.
Saw a post from colese and in not far from bristol so jetted over there. He was really helpful and is a nice guy who knows his wheels T:.
Got a set of 16" 8j. The rears on 245 and the fronts on 205 tryes. They had some alloy damage, bubbling and the lacker coming off so had to grind them back.

I then wet and dried the wheels until they were smooth and ready for paint. two coats of primer and then 3 coats of matt black..this was the finished product.

now got them on the van.

:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

So as you can see the original coil had broken, was a good time you get some Eibach 45 in.

Dropping the front down, was easy as you can see the thread wasn't rusted out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Built some speaker enclosures for my speakers.

After that sanded the putty down to get a smooth finish. The whole panel has now been vel-trimmed.
Sounds good as well

1 - 20 of 20 Posts