VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.. we never seem to get many threads on the Doka section, so although i've had mine nearly 2 years i'll start a thread just so there is another one to readRasp:
Here is how i got mine...... dead, dirty and very smelly!!!

As you can see from under the rear seat it was bogging, mouldy food, old socks alsorts of builders trype, the seats and the outside were just as bad just filthy. And why do i call it a survivor, and why did i have to collect it on a trailer, well it had a cambelt done afew months before it died and the garage didnt replace the water pump:eek: i'm sure you can guess the rest...siezed pump when bearings went snapped cam belt:(

Its a 2.4 and so with only 93000 miles on the clock it sat in the it went to the scrap yard!! Luckily for me the scrap yard advertised it whole before they were going to break it for parts, the price £600T: worth the risk i thought it might just need a belt etc. Well this wasnt the case I had to replace the head with a brand new one, new belts and tensioners, new vacuum pump and push rod as this was noisy, new water pump, new thermostat, I had the injectors refurbed as the spray pattern was naf, a new metal water pipe for cooling system as this was leaking, a full service a second hand battery i had off a diesel golf and it lived again:). The cost was £1200 including a new rear light cluster, and paying a mate £200 for his engine expertise aswell, not too bad i thought.

I gave it a good clean and valet checked the brakes over feplaced the mirror glass both sides as these were smashed and it went straight thru an motT:

It was owned by a stone masons who done alot of grave stone installments and a small builder firm before that and the body work is very straight, the only problems were some scratching on the front doors where they removed their company name, and some concrete on the dropgates.

I have been using it since then and so far have replaced the front indicators with clear ones, replaced the rear springs when 1 broke with genuine vw ones (they where f**king expensive), fitted a stereo, wind deflectors on front windows, and i have also done a 5th gear uprate conversion and this makes a real difference in rpm when on the main roads.
Its great i wouldnt be without it now its so practical, you can load alot of stuff in back and fit the family in aswell, its comfy good on fuel and will always have a resale value.
Went to Bus Types show last year with a mate and loaded it up with stiff to sell in the swopmeet area had a great time

I will update again tomorrow as i am now doing a bit more to it

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looks the business. It certainly appears you now suffer from those of us in Australia call 'Ute Disease'. As in once you buy one you'll wonder how you ever did without it or how you'll ever do without one in the future.

Stuffed if I know how you English keep those little hubcaps on. Mine responded to the call of the wild within a couple of weeks of delivery.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I already have 'ute disease' as ive owned pickups for the last 12 years, i wouldnt be without one they are the most usefull and abused vehicle in the world, you can put anything from a ton of grain for aid relief to a 50.cal in the backI:

this was my last pickup with a load of bark chippings in the back

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
list of jobs for this time are
1. sort water leak (bloody thermostat housing)
2. sort oil leak from rocker cover and oil filter housing
3. full service
4. repair worn brackets for dropgates
5. replace n/s/r shock (never actually replaced this one as the top bot was seized in bush)
6. sort out rattly buck floor
7. repair ladder rack - straighten the mesh, lower by 1" and repair rusty bottoms, repair tops where someone cut them off so bits slide off sideways
8. paint surface rust areas on chassis and spare wheel holder
9. sort out rusty front arches, stone chip arches and sills and repaint
10. rub down and repaint small area near fuel flap
11. remove speedo housing and get clock reset button working
12. sand blast wheels and get powder coated

had some time on it today

the floor in buck is loose and worn so it has to come out

ladder rack

front sorted to work in engine bay

floor out ladder rack off and drop gates off (had to cut the seized hinge pins on these with hack saw blade) looks weird now. the wheels on it here are a temp measure while i get the earlier style ones blasted and powdercoated

worn brackets for dropgates to be welded up and redilled correct size

luckily it has been well waxoiled from new, all the grey areas are waxoil

clamp on shock to undo bottom bolt as it was tight, airgun to loosen top bolt abit

top bolt cut out with gas axe so shock can be replaced, just see smoke from bush drifting up where it caught fire

not a bad start cant get on it again until next week though, hopefully crack on as i want it done and out of w/shop so i can sort a few jobs out on the westy.... its as bad as owning a t2 or t25

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
started on front arches,rubed down and por15 used on rusty areas. thankfull they are not so bad that i need to replace them, a tidy up with a skim of some filler then i plan on stone chipping them and paint them

all the concrete cleaned off buck sides along with some hand brushed paint

also rubbed down and treated areas of surface rust on x members for buck, but i am really lucky how good this truck is

got carried away on rear light bar and stripped everything off it, cleaned off the rust then being the fussy git i am i wasnt happy with the slight twists in it where it has been backed into things by previous owner, so i straightened it out then treated surface rust

·
Registered
261 Posts
The back end looks like a mega task!! but worth it.

Do you think the rear bumper is a bad design? I thought I would unbolt it to straighten it then realised it was welded on, I am sure it is to do with strength, rigidity etc but still not great was yours very rusty?

Have you heard of these things called Trizact pads? they are 3000grit discs like wet and dry you can just go over old paint (or new) and get out any scratches then polish with a mop. they are amazing I just did my Doka it turned an ok paint job into a good one.

(but dont go too close to any edges)

http://www.toolprofessional.net/Trizact-Hookit-Foam-Disc-6-3000/M/B002OSROTQ.htm?traffic_src=GB&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=GB&id=uk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the pads sound interesting, and yes its a shame the light bar isn't bolt on its the first thing to get whacked and aint very strong! been busy at home and another project but got some more done.
picked up both front seats with arms (captains chairs but non swiveling) for the sum of £20 the pairT: wot a result. i had to swop some covers and foam about from 4 seats i have to get a good drivers seat with good foam and covers (needs a clean), im repairing seat pad cover on passenger dont know if to fit that or stick with double seat tho.

got carried away someone pls stop me:eek: my mate came over wshop today and said wot the fu** happened it only came in for a couple of jobs looks like a missile hit it!!
got a slight conversion to the back end on the go inspired by Seano's doka..
progress so far...now you see it

now you dont

cleaned of some of the old waxoil, its gone hard but has done its job big time

done more after pics but camera went flat:(

got some fabrication on the go pics to follow

·
Registered
379 Posts
Inspired by my DOKA, eh? Just what are you up to?

Funnily enough....my alloy tray doesn't have the frame that yours does. It just sits on two steel C sections that are bolted to the main chassis rails (separated by urethane washers) and the alloy extrusions are riveted across the C sections. Makes it both light and strong...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i like your bodyI: but would cost me too much to make one probably, aluminium is expensive

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
been busy at home and been distracted by my latest purchase for £250T:

managed to get some work done on rear body and from these pics and the fact i said Seano's van has influenced me you get the idea of where i'm going
body upside down as i am working on it on 1st pic then ive turned it upside down to show how it will look on the truck in 2nd

need to get my sh*t together because i need it working and painted in 3-4 weeks for bus types:eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looking good mate, how heavy is the bed once you get it off?

If you do want straps I'd give these guys a ring http://www.haywoodproducts.com/

I bought straps for our boats from them last year and my bed cover from them recently, give them a call or email they are really helpful, no connection to me at all but feel like I should praise a decent supplier!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
cheers...with the floor off its really light i could lift it on my own but i get a mate to help as i need to turn it over to work on and its abit large to move about. normally get 1 day a week if im lucky on it with work and family etc but hopefully i'm going to wshop sat try to get the mods all welded on then will have to do some evenings aswell to get painted and mechanicals done before bus types

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
the doka forum is great now, compaired with a few months ago there are now loads of posts going onT:
time is at a premium and this project is moving on at a snails pace, which is annoying cause i want the damn thing back on the road!!
nearly ready to paint, just abit more rubbing down to do. had to weld some new sections into buck as the old wooden floor is knackered and i cant get the same size replacements (apart from vw at about £200 a sheet:eek:) so going to fit cut down 8x4 sheets. was hoping to take it to bus types show but even if its done i cant afford the road tax and my t4 westy is taxed and tested so have to take that with my mate, sleep one up one down. trouble is that needs 1 brake freeing off and its got a flexi hose about to explode, so i got to work on that aswell:rolleyes: i got a set of braided hoses for it a couple of months ago so going to replace all the flexi hoses with them.

going to fit an underbody box in the big gap you see in pic infront of nsr wheel. referbed the other seat with arm rests aswell so going to try it out with 2 single front seats see how it goes

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your metal work looks great T:

What are you going to make your underbody boxes out of?

Matt.
cheers.... not sure on boxes yet. will either be boring plastic, or will make up an aluminium one, or if i can get the right body cut will make up one with a front to match and flow with body lines of cab:cool:

·
Registered
379 Posts
had to weld some new sections into buck as the old wooden floor is knackered and i cant get the same size replacements (apart from vw at about £200 a sheet:eek:) so going to fit cut down 8x4 sheets.
The ply used for tray floors is hyper expensive.....but it is similar to concrete form ply. Alternatively....how much does recycled oak floorboards cost over your way?

It is not uncommon to find timber trays made from tounge and groove flooring over here

1 - 20 of 26 Posts