VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Step 5 - Two bucket hand wash with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo and Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mit
Whilst from a distance the van looks great and sparkly clean, on closer inspection you can see all the tar spots, rust particles, dead insect guts and other contaminants that the shampoo and snow foam aren't aggressive enough to remove!
Really difficult to photograph but this is the worst area along the bottom of the drivers door! :oops:

Grey Wood Tints and shades Sculpture Art

Step 6 - Wipe over the worst of the tar spots with Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover on a soft cotton cloth. Much better, but still plenty of contamination on and in the paint that would cause bad scratches if I were to run the polisher over them!
Rectangle Grey Atmospheric phenomenon Tints and shades Wood

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Step 6 - A thorough coating of Bilt Hamber - Korrosol Iron Remover which is left to dwell on the surface for about 5 minutes.
The Korrosol is a controlled pH non-alkaline fallout remover for the safe and effective removal of embedded metallic particles. You may not have noticed by looking at your paintwork, but next time it’s washed and clean lightly feel the paintwork, especially the horizontal panels; bonnet, boot lid, roof etc. and you’ll be able to feel a rough grittiness. This is from airborne metallic particles from braking surfaces, such as pads and discs that land on the paint whilst they're hot - either from your own vehicle or after the car in front of you brakes and you travel through them, and they embed themselves in your paintwork!

Once on the paintwork, they react with rainwater or air moisture and begin to corrode and as the corrosion product (rust) occupies four times the space of iron the paint is slowly ruptured around the embedded particle. This action destroys both the aesthetic and protective qualities of the paint. Which is what you can see in the pic above!

Sprayed onto the contaminated panel, it rapidly changes to a purple colour as it reacts with the particles and can then be rinsed away with water...

Brown Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
And here's the before and after shot from the same section of bodywork after rinsing off the Korrosol (excuse the colour difference!)...
Rectangle Grey Atmospheric phenomenon Tints and shades Wood
Grey Cloud Automotive lighting Tints and shades Fog

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 · (Edited)
Step 7 - A full clay bar detailing of each and every panel using Meguiars Quik Clay kit and a Farecla G3 Pro Deep Clean Clay Mitt with the Quik Detailer used as lube ;)
Using the mitt for the large panels and the clay bar for the more intricate and stubborn areas.

Step 8 - With the bodywork clean, another two-bucket hand wash with the Meg's Gold Class.

Step 9 - Now the paintwork is properly clean, it's 'safe' to wipe over the paint. So I dried off the van with three huge Eurow Microfibre Drying Towels
Seeing some shine at last! 😁

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Plant

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light

So now the paint is as clean as it can be, ready for machine polishing, so I can finally get of any paint defects, swirl marks, old decal marks and gloss up the paint where I've made the stone chip repairs. So on we go!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
That little lot took about a day and a half to complete, which meant the following day the weather had typically turned to sh*t but as I'd already booked the time off work and in the words of Mastermind, I've started so I'll finish...
so up goes the gazebo on the driveway which is just tall enough to squeeze the van under, so I could shelter from the p*ssing rain!
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Popped the indicator out of the wing to make polishing easier and then masked up the plastic trim to protect it from the polish.
And on to Step 10 - First stage machine polish, using Koch Chemie P6 One Cut & Finish on a Meguiars 5.5" Microfibre Cutting Pad using a Das-6 Pro Plus V2 Dual Action Polisher

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 · (Edited)
And here's a little before / mid / after detail from the rear quarter...
Totally dull with next to no reflection!
Shade Wood Composite material Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Part way through the first 'cut', you can see the edge of where I've been, as the gloss starts to appear across the bottom half...
Automotive lighting Automotive design Tints and shades Automotive exterior Chair

And after ...
Sky Hood Cloud Building Automotive tire

Step 12 - To make sure all the polishing residue is removed off the paintwork before waxing, I applied a liberal coat of Bilt Hamber Cleanser Fluid which helps prime the surface and boost the longevity of the wax applied.

Then finally!! Step 13 - just to wax it all with a healthy coating of Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax and buff it up with a microfibre cloth!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
It's really difficult to photograph the difference before polishing and after the waxing, but here's what it looks like under the inspection light...
Sky Astronomical object Circle Science Event
Atmosphere Sky Astronomical object Lens flare Circle

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 · (Edited)
So with the van all shiny, I could turn my attention back to the interior.
I decided to knock up a new design to replace my YETI dash decal.
The problem with that (other than it not being straight!) was that the vinyl was too thick (even under the lacquer) and the logo wouldn't match the decals going on the outside.
I also wanted something that would tie in with the white dashed lines on the Merc seats (and gear gaitor) but also incorporating the Yeti man that will be going on the barndoors (and already features on my table).
So after sanding back the dash trim to repair the scuffs (no more carrying lengths of timber in the van!!), I repainted them in black and then output my design on to some stencil vinyl, which took an age to weed due to the tiny pieces to be removed! ...
Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive design Bumper

and applied a couple of light coats of VW Candy White...
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Table Cloud

I just have the other dash panel to mask up and the dashed lines will run around on to the passenger side door handle surround too (all being well!)

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
You've still missed a bit, even Smudge can't bare to look at the van 😋

In all seriousness, amazing job on the bodywork, such a transformation and informative too especially regarding the brake dust particles.

Dash trim will look ace with the Yeti man incorporated 👌

Reactions: 64 SPLIT

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah that makes sense, no point going over paintwork that's not 100%.

Not sure time is a factor that Stu has on his radar, he started his furniture build back in 2011 😂 sorry Stu, just kidding mate.

Fair play buddy :ROFLMAO: ....the worst of it is you might just have under estimated the time frame. Pete I love the banter bro makes me smile after a XXXXing hard day on site,no need for apologies..:D Here to have a crack and learn

Mr split much thanks, for the reply Ha I like to support the local guy too(y)..............the details in your detailing ( try saying that with a mouth full) are great mate,also the images accompanying all this. well done on them.............I've never seen this kind of step by step before....really cool

Hmm I've had my eye on a dewalt machine polisher for I while now, mainly because I'm invested in their 18V range for site work..........so far have managed to resist, you didn't help much in your reply;)

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Fair play buddy :ROFLMAO: ....the worst of it is you might just have under estimated the time frame. Pete I love the banter bro makes me smile after a XXXXing hard day on site,no need for apologies..:D Here to have a crack and learn

Mr split much thanks, for the reply Ha I like to support the local guy too(y)..............the details in your detailing ( try saying that with a mouth full) are great mate,also the images accompanying all this. well done on them.............I've never seen this kind of step by step before....really cool

Hmm I've had my eye on a dewalt machine polisher for I while now, mainly because I'm invested in their 18V range for site work..........so far have managed to resist, you didn't help much in your reply;)
Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer 😁 But yeah all in jest to have a laugh (y)

He's written a great 'how to' and linking to the products used is a massive help, although I do wonder is Split is working on commission 🤑

• Haha
Reactions: 64 SPLIT

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sarcasm is just one of the many services I offer 😁 But yeah all in jest to have a laugh (y)

He's written a great 'how to' and linking to the products used is a massive help, although I do wonder is Split is working on commission 🤑
If he is fair play............................ fink his name sake did the same TBF got paid by the stone making that wall ;) ...........I agree on the how to, I trained as a panel beater sprayer a life time ago Pete, but H's how to has been an eye opener for me,really cool and really appreciated

Hadrian sorry for littering up your thread, it's nice to have a crack though:)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 · (Edited)
No apologies required here Stu! I’m glad to share what little knowledge I have - certainly if it helps other dubbers out.
When it comes to machine polishers tho Stu, you need a cabled machine as they’re pretty power hungry and you need one with a ‘soft-start’ so you don’t gouge scratches in or fling all the polish off the pad before it’s got started.
The DAS-6 ones are very popular and for good reason and are available cheaper than the Pro version. I cut my teeth with polishing using a cheap £35 Silverline rotary which did a pretty good job to be fair, but a DA (dual action) is much safer in the hands of a novice as it’s much harder to accidentally break through the paint! Basically if you concentrate the polishing pad on one spot for too long or with too much pressure you can end up cutting right through the lacquer and causing more damage than you’re trying to correct! 😳

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 · (Edited)
So today, I finished off the passenger side machine polishing and waxing - all in all, about 4 days solid of cleaning etc! But I’m happy to say that all traces of previous decals have been removed.
Took the van up to the Yorkshire Dales after I'd finished and took the opportunity to grab a couple of pics whilst the weather was playing nice…

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Sky Wheel Car

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
Pitched up at the Three Peaks Marathon for the weekend next to a cool wrapped T6 from the race sponsor INOV-8 running shoes.
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Sky Cloud Plant Tree Land lot

·
Registered
212 Posts
You got me now Just had a play with my bonnet washed etc clay barred,then cut,then polished,dug out most of my waxes I’ve accumulated 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️For me the best feel with my fingers and a cloth when finished as in how slipppy it felt was the meguiars mirror glaze synthetic sealant.only done bonnet then gave up I can see how it took days to do whole van 😢
Bottle Green Table Water bottle Outdoor furniture
Brown Hairstyle Liquid Bottle Eyelash
Car Vehicle Grille Photograph Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle

·
Registered
258 Posts
Primer'ed off some rust spots today so now I have the spotty panda look, any tips for flatting back primer?

·
Registered
411 Posts
No apologies required here Stu! I’m glad to share what little knowledge I have - certainly if it helps other dubbers out.
When it comes to machine polishers tho Stu, you need a cables machine as they’re pretty power hungry and you need one with a ‘soft-start’ so you don’t gouge scratches in or fling all the polish off the label before it’s got started.
The DAS-6 ones are very popular and for good reason and are available cheaper than the Pro version. I cut my teeth with polishing using a cheap £35 Silverline rotary which did a pretty good job to be fair, but a DA (dual action) is much safer in the hands of a novice as it’s much harder to accidentally break through the paint! Basically if you concentrate the polishing pad on one spot for too long or with too much pressure you can end up cutting right through the lacquer and causing more damage than you’re trying to correct! 😳

Some of this I'm aware of H......dewalt do two polishers......... it's the DA dual action I'm after this un................ DeWalt DCM848N-XJ 18V XR Brushless 125mm Dual Action Polisher Body Only

........ I'm aware how one can burn paint if static for too long, the diff betwixt Da and rotarybut not about soft start the finer stuff, .................... maybe theses polishers are power hungry but then I've been wading through 50MM of solid oak today making rough cuts with a silly long jigsaw blade before honing said cuts with a trim router all off batts. Sure it kills batts like a good un, but I have said batts in number and chargers: my tools allow me to make a crust...also own dewalt DA sander. which I can push like a XXXX.......... it doesn't kill batts like my jig cutting through oak...............I think it's doable H, polishing without a cord.............. but I'm very aware I might be talking Cobblers :)

You have hands on balls to the ball experience of this niche, which again I'm hugely thankful, for the details you have shared with us.......i've just a simple awareness of the tool range I use and what they can do..they stun me regularly!! Really so bro they stun me

I really hate cables H......... they get in my way don't allow me freedom to do what I'm capable of, if I'm on my game, plus it's kinda nice not having to worry on cutting a cable and killing myself

Mate to me my old girl........... my bus.............. paint wise is a bag o nails. it's not where I want it to be, sure I wash and wax, and care but there is no finesse to what I'm doing....i'm just maintaining it until a day when my attention turns to what my old lass looks like.

First I gotta make some wood smaller sort some leccy and have a bit of fun....when I nail those two I'll have earnt a bit of fun, no doubt.!!...........The next bit though is to make her pretty and now I know where to come for a method:cool:

I've had a look at your DAS 6 bro the dewalt is roughly double that cost.hmm what price a cable.:) Bud I care not about being right. just need tools that work for me,it would be the coolest thing for me for someone to put that dewalt in your hands and hear the feedback !!

Thanks for the replies bro much appreciated(y)

321 - 340 of 362 Posts