VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
341 - 360 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
I can see how it took days to do whole van 😢
Yeah once I'd done the bonnet I soon realised I'd need more than 2 days to do a full two-stage polish by myself. Looks like you've got plenty of decent kit to do the job though. Just like painting, the key is in the preparation. Leave any sh*t on the panel and you're gonna be swirling it all over the panel before you know it. Good luck with a black van though dude - absolutely nothing beats a perfectly polished black paint job but they also show up any imperfections (which is why I'm glad mine's white! 😂 )

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Primer'ed off some rust spots today so now I have the spotty panda look, any tips for flatting back primer?
Presumably you'll be painting over the primer at some point. It's best to leave the primer at least a day or two to properly cure and harden up and then depending how good your paint is, I'd suggest lightly flatting back with 800 first (to correct any obvious high spots / runs) and then with 1200grit - using plenty of water to avoid being too aggressive and removing too much primer.
You need to leave a slight texture to give the top coat something to adhere to so it doesn't have to be glassy smooth at this stage.
Use a sanding block under your paper too to get a flat finish, rather than your fingers.
If they're only small patches, use a small, flat off-cut of wood with any edges rounded off to avoid going through the sandpaper and catching the paint.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
I've had a look at your DAS 6 bro the dewalt is roughly double that cost.hmm what price a cable.:) Bud I care not about being right. just need tools that work for me,it would be the coolest thing for me for someone to put that dewalt in your hands and hear the feedback !!

Thanks for the replies bro much appreciated(y)
The DeWalt kit should be fine - there are portable DA's out there and plenty of detailers use them, I just prefer to know that a battery isn't gonna die half way across a panel and leave me stuck with polish drying out etc. and no replacement. When you're doing something the size of a T5, you can be running the machine for hours but if you've got a heap of spare compatible batteries it's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
So I got the last couple coats of lacquer on the dash trim and installed them back in the van when I got home yesterday.
Could do with a little polish up after a week or two once the lacquer has had chance to harden to remove a bit of orange peel, but out of the can I'm pretty pleased.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Camera accessory Hood

And matches the seats and gear lever gaitor now... 😁
Gear shift Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
212 Posts
Loving that dash gonna do mine but need to figure out how to remove them,mine is a highline and ones round vents at side and centre stereo are silver did think about having them hydro dipped in carbon 🤔how’s them dash trims come off ?

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Van looks amazing Split, just like it's had a fresh coat of paint 👌 Gave mine a wash yesterday and started to notice the spots of contamination much more than I had before...so yeah thanks for that 😡😂

Dash trim looks very cool too (y)

• Haha
Reactions: 64 SPLIT

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah as above H nice nice job on the dash, really cool, but then all of what you are doing is. also cheers again on all the replies, no doubt I'll be back to quizz you more once the other stuff is inhand. H how long to the wrap thingy happens?

I watched some vids after last talking to you, I'll be good .LMAO providing my arms don't fall off ,she's a bit of a lump that dewalt, and as you say they ain't a small thing a bus!! ;)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
Loving that dash gonna do mine but need to figure out how to remove them,mine is a highline and ones round vents at side and centre stereo are silver did think about having them hydro dipped in carbon 🤔how’s them dash trims come off ?
The dash trims are pretty easy to remove - for those pieces above you just need to pry the dash end panel off (just spring clipped on) which will give you access to the smaller of the two dash trims. This just pulls off as it's spring-clipped in place. For the larger piece, you need to remove the glovebox (couple of Torx T20 screws, one at each side on the base under the little plastic covers, and one at the back - think that's it?), then just below the lip of the dashboard there's a metal plate with mesh wrapped over it, secured by 4 Torx T20 scews in just above the airbag unit. The heads are facing towards the front of the van so it's handy to have a mirror or use your phone to see where they are. Undo these and you can then pull the dash trim free. That mesh is what stops the dash trim from smashing into your passengers face when the airbag goes off - so it's up to you if you want to re-arrange their face or not when you re-fit it! 😁

As for the decals - it's booked in for the last week of October. Fortunately they only need it for a day so don't have to be without the van for too long.

Photoshopped up a better idea of what the finished article should hopefully look like...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
The dash trims are pretty easy to remove - for those pieces above you just need to pry the dash end panel off (just spring clipped on) which will give you access to the smaller of the two dash trims. This just pulls off as it's spring-clipped in place. For the larger piece, you need to remove the glovebox (couple of Torx T20 screws, one at each side on the base under the little plastic covers, and one at the back - think that's it?), then just below the lip of the dashboard there's a metal plate with mesh wrapped over it, secured by 4 Torx T20 scews in just above the airbag unit. The heads are facing towards the front of the van so it's handy to have a mirror or use your phone to see where they are. Undo these and you can then pull the dash trim free. That mesh is what stops the dash trim from smashing into your passengers face when the airbag goes off - so it's up to you if you want to re-arrange their face or not when you re-fit it! 😁

As for the decals - it's booked in for the last week of October. Fortunately they only need it for a day so don't have to be without the van for too long.

Photoshopped up a better idea of what the finished article should hopefully look like...
View attachment 197518
Loving that design!😜

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Does look very cool Split, and not long to wait either (y)

Where's your cab mat from, mines looking a little tatty and yours makes the cab look quite cosy.

Reactions: 64 SPLIT

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
I wonder if you'll get greif from campsites for being a 'sign written commercial vehicle' ? :unsure:
I did wonder about that before I booked the fitting. I don't go on too many campsites though so I'll just have to keep an eye on any T's & C's when I book.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
Does look very cool Split, and not long to wait either (y)

Where's your cab mat from, mines looking a little tatty and yours makes the cab look quite cosy.
Cab mat is from my old favourite - Harrison's Trim Supplies. I sent them a PDF with the logo I wanted embroidering and chose the colour. Think it was about £35. Still keep meaning to go back and get a custom-made one for in the back. I just need to rob some wide format printer paper from work so I can make a template of what I want to give them to work from.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
You could argue that its actually a 'leisure vehicle' not a commercial vehicle anymore ;) .
I was gonna sticker ours up with some BIG Rothfink decals but couldn't find anyone to make them for me and i'm useless with computers so they never happened. (n)

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Cab mat is from my old favourite - Harrison's Trim Supplies. I sent them a PDF with the logo I wanted embroidering and chose the colour. Think it was about £35. Still keep meaning to go back and get a custom-made one for in the back. I just need to rob some wide format printer paper from work so I can make a template of what I want to give them to work from.
Blimey £35 is a blooming bargain! Cheers mate will go and have a look see (y)
You could argue that its actually a 'leisure vehicle' not a commercial vehicle anymore ;) .
I was gonna sticker ours up with some BIG Rothfink decals but couldn't find anyone to make them for me and i'm useless with computers so they never happened. (n)
If you've got the artwork in a hi-res quality file there's a graphics company I use through work that could produce them, they actually do sign writing on vehicles for commercial and public. Just a thought mate.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
How would i get the artwork in a high res quality file ? This all buries me 🤷‍♂️

Hmmm....i could have a cab mat with a logo on it too ? :love:

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
There are computer genius' that can make them up, not sure exactly how. I've done in the past by literally tracing the image, I'm sure there are much better ways...quicker too! Do Rothfink not already supply decals, sure some of their motors sport big logos.

That would be a cool cab mat (y)

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
They do make big decals but not big enough to look right on our van and not quite what i was after hence the continued search for something more 'custom' .

341 - 360 of 362 Posts