VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
501 - 520 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
Cheers guys 👍
Now THAT's an awesome electric setup! 😳 Thanks for posting the vid @Soundz. Some very interesting (if somewhat nerdy) viewing. I reckon I've got space under the seat to mount a small fan that might just help improve air flow over the charger and shouldn't be too difficult to wire up with an ignition feed. Being tucked away under the seat should hopefully be fairly quiet and unobtrusive too.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Oh God I found it interesting ( I've watched loads of these "types of vids" mate) which means I'm now viewed as "slightly nerdy" by the T5 fraternity don't it 😂 .don't beat about the bush H just go straight in with the knife for the jugular🤣🤣🤣:D.

I like the fan idea H so am going to run with it I haven't room for ducting but the idea of forcing air to move appeals .we'll see where it leads huh

Ha ta mate needed a giggle(y).

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 ·
So the Orion is all hooked up and seems to be charging nicely. I've had to relocate the IP22 mains charger as there just wasn't enough space for it to sit comfortably under the passenger seat and still be able to access / monitor it, so ordered some longer charging cables for it and it's now mounted to the back of the drivers seat base which meant ditching the original plastic seat trim and fabricating a panel from an offcut of the carbon-effect lightweight ply.

Wood Rectangle Material property Font Tool
Hood Automotive tire Grille Rectangle Asphalt

·
Registered
910 Posts
Buddy Rustins do a satin version of what I'm using..........I can't give you how well it ages bar the eons me build has been going.......but I'm impressed so far: mauling bits about has led to the odd knock and much profanity :D My real likes are virtually odourless.....water based.no worries on brush care and silly quick drying times........which means ya can bat a coat on or maybe 2 after graft

Do raise that grain a couple of times H before your first step..( ha I know you are already in ......I know it's a faff bro but it's no different really than any form of paint..it's all in the prepwork. I'd do it a couple of times 2nd with finer grade paper..........see with me only using a clear coat I've not got worry on going through my first coat so much......... when I lightly sand the varnish layers.but you have a colour coat below.so you really don't want the grain raising and being a pain.......maybe jon's suggestion is better?

H wood or metal finishiing ain't so different.....my concern is always how the different layers " weld" together if ya like That's ya biggy...which ever way you go test a bit of wood mate.......you've got a cool skillset buddy plenty to draw on just do some tests find a working method of application and then hammer it..........

Fair play bud the seat base back/mains batt charger looks really cool and it's great to hear the orion is running

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·
Well the weather looks pretty decent for this weekend so I'll get down my local DIY store and see what varnishes or waxes they've got. The Littlefair's stuff is water based so hopefully shouldn't have any compatibility issues. It's dried to a pretty dull finish so it definitely needs something to breath some life back into it.
Started on tarting the door cards up too. Pics to follow...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #513 · (Edited)
So drivers door card has come off so that I can trim the upper half to match the dash (and cover up some of the scratches n awful light grey plastic).
I decided to only trim the upper half of the doors as the lowers often get scuffed and mucky when I'm biking or on 'horse' duties 🤦‍♂️ so need to be able to keep them easy to clean.
The door pockets and darker grey door top are attached to the front fascia with a whole bunch of plastic welded caterpillars.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

So using an old soldering iron I melted these off so I could neatly wrap the suedeliner fabric over the edges.
I'm not gonna lie. They're an absolute b*tch to get off and my hands look like I'm a serial self-harmer now! 😳🤬
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Grey

Anyway, once the the door card is apart I could liberally apply some Trim-Fix and starting with the big recess for the handle, slowly glue the fabric on...
Sleeve Grey Wood Comfort T-shirt

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
I still have a couple pieces of the centre-trim fabric from the Mercedes A-Class seats, so this got the foam backing removed and applied to the back of the upper pocket just to tie it in with the gearstick gaitor etc.
With all the fabric glued up, I could set about reassembling and 'welding' the tabs back in place with the soldering iron.
Fiddly to get it all in place at the same time as wielding a red hot soldering iron... and a proper face mask is advised to protect against the plastic fumes! 🤢
Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door Trunk Automotive exterior

Managed to chip the paint on the door handle surround so that's gonna need touching up at some point 🤦‍♂️
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

One down... one to go! 😩
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Loving this work H! You always manage to go the extra mile with these things! What dis you used to plastic weld the pocket back up? Just some old zip ties melted onto it with the soldering iron?
I really need to tackle mine at some point! Really really need too! Headliner, door cards, dashboard, A and B pillars! It'll be a big job as well as getting speakers in too!😂

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
Fortunately there was enough plastic left on the original tabs to be able to melt it back over the slots. I just took my time when I was melting them off to try keep as much material there as possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got the remaining pieces of lower dash trim removed to trim up in the suedeflex too... View attachment 205759

And refitted...
View attachment 205760

Just need to tackle the doorcards at some point
This looks great, given me another job to do I was going to forever black mine but this looks far better. Is the suede on the plastics all Un-backed stuff? Just looking on Harrison Trim supplies now.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·
Yeah it's all unbacked Suedeflex. If you use the foam backed stuff you'll find that it's leaves the panel too thick when you come to reassemble things (especially door cards).
Got the passenger side sorted yesterday so the cab is all done.
The door cards are pretty damn fiddly but worth doing even just to get some of the scratches and marks from previous ownership covered up.
Hood Blue Automotive tire Grey Bumper
Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Fantastic work done over the last couple of months Split, as always the attention to detail is second to none 👌
Looking forward to the next installment 🍿🤓

Reactions: 64 SPLIT

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #520 ·
Cheers Pete - good to see you back 👍 Not sure what's next... front brakes need a complete overhaul before the next MOT so that's gonna take a chunk of cash as I'm planning on a mild upgrade whilst I'm at it.

501 - 520 of 575 Posts