VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
521 - 540 of 575 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
(y)
I'd love a big brake upgrade but can't really justify the cost, I read on here somewhere that iirc the bigger engine'd vans had larger brake setups...is that nice and vague for ya? I'm sure you know more about this as you'll have done your research, I'm just going of memory which is never good.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Wrong link it was this kit that took my fancy
Settled for my usual brembo pads and discs in 308mm now tho but the bank manager is relived :LOL:

·
Registered
15,860 Posts
I'd actually prefer the 340 twin pots cuz theyre OE .....and in all fairness the 308's we currently have stop the van quite adequately so i'd only be changing them for the aesthetics. :cool:.

The 330 4pots look nice but a lot of these kits are a nightmare to source replacement discs for without getting stung .

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
Yeah 340's are on the cards.
I need to replace the discs and pads as the current front discs are just about done in terms of wear, so it seems like the prime time to swap the whole lot out and stick a mild upgrade on there.

I'd love a set of fancy 6-pots etc. even if it's just to fill the back of the wheels, but in reality, it's difficult to justify £1.5k on a big brake set up when the van stops perfectly well on the stocker 308's. Having had the van remapped to just shy of 180hp though, my reckoning is that justifies upping the braking power to match so the OEM 340's seem like the obvious choice.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Here's a much cheaper option?
🤣🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
The fitting instructions were ridiculous!😂😂
Apply adhesive and allow to dry for 3 days
Reapply the wheel and allow for 24 hours to set!?
So I can drive my car after 2 hours of the brake caliper paint drying but I can't drive it for 4 days after adding the brake covers!😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
(y)
I'd love a big brake upgrade but can't really justify the cost, I read on here somewhere that iirc the bigger engine'd vans had larger brake setups...is that nice and vague for ya? I'm sure you know more about this as you'll have done your research, I'm just going of memory which is never good.
I did this on mine, i went with the bigger VW twin pot calipers from a T6 Bi-TDI so front discs went from 308mm to 340mm, paid like £250 for the calipers and carriers on ebay and just painted them. They make a big difference on a heavy van and they fill the gap better behind 20" wheels. I did have to buy the bigger front splash shields aswell for the bigger discs to fit. This was the cheapest option for bigger brakes without going for like 2k forged ones.

Think it cost me £500 all in for calipers, discs, Brembo pads, and front splash shields. Front discs and pads was due a change anyway so that would of cost like £150ish so threw that money into doing this.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Asphalt

Motor vehicle Automotive design Luggage and bags Automotive tire Bag

old 308mm vs new 340mm
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Asphalt Gas

front pads a fair bit bigger for 340mm discs
Automotive tire Wood Gesture Finger Bumper

Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive design

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

seems this link would be everything you needed apart from the front splash shields

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #536 ·
Stainless exhausts are 100% worth it, although you're asking ALL the wrong people. We're experts in helping people spend their money on here! 😂
PPTuning in Louth are the guys to speak to.

Heard the dreaded squeaking of my auxiliary belt on start up at the weekend. The noise went almost immediately though so figured it may just be temporary.
Not so.

Jumped in the van to go to work this morning and a short squeak was quickly followed by some more alarming noises as I started to pull off the driveway.
Popped the bonnet n hopped out to watch the auxiliary belt start to shed bits of itself across the floor.
Got the van reversed back on to the drive and switched off.
Finger Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire

So back inside, got a new Continental auxiliary belt ordered from Euro Car Parts (along with a new oil filter to qualify for free delivery for spending over £25), expecting a 3-4 working day delivery as per the website info.
Ordered the parts at 7.30am.
At 9.45am there's a knock on the door from the delivery man with my parts!! 😳😳 Now THAT'S service!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #539 ·
The puddle was just from rain overnight! 😁
Here's what was left of the belt!! 😳 It didn't look anything like that a few days previous at the weekend. I think once they start to go it just shreds itself.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

I cut off what was remaining of the old belt and purely out of curiosity, measured it's length - 1535mm. A whole 2cm's shorter than a new one at 1555mm! 🤔🤨
For a little while I was convinced Euro Car Parts had sent me the wrong belt but everywhere online lists the same 6PK 1555 as the part number for the 2.0TDI - being a 6-toothed belt at 1555mm long (for air-con equiped engines).

Auxiliary belt tensioner feels ok and still spins freely although I might look to swap it out if it's do-able with the engine in situ just as a bit of preventative maintenance. Can you re-grease them?

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel

521 - 540 of 575 Posts