VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LWB T5 purchased a few weeks ago :) Insulated, carpeted, headlined and domestic battery fitted beneath double seat.

The tricky bit....

I really like the idea of been able to walk (or crouch) through the van - so the pros and cons of bench seats length ways with an infill for bed.

As far as I can see:

2m long bed, seat 4 around table, storage underneath benches, open ended on one bench to slide board in, easy to build.....

Or do i stick with convention r n r bed and side cabinets? Just chucking it out there so I dont overlook something and make a big mistake that someone could have told me about...... :ILU:

This is the plan

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was in the same boat. Decided to stick with the straight through plan, have yet to build it but think it should be ok. Drove around Oz in a straight through design years ago and loved it, especially for the surf boards etc etc. Also I like the idea of the seating area, although mine is SWB so I have opted for a small seat opposite the bench, basically instead of continuing the bench top along the drivers side I have just stepped it down. The space will be filled with a storage 'box' when not in use which also doubles as the fill in at the rear as another seat and as part of the bed base.

I would imagine the storage amount is about the same as you will have the underneath of the bed area on the passenger side.

I have decided to build the bed as a box with a flip over lid which will be secured against the opposite side cupboards, this gives a width of 1.1 metres, just enough for me and the misssus. The part of the bed that sticks out into the sliding door area will be filled by the seat box mentioned above.
Sorry if my descriptions are confusing! Will upload my sketchup design if I can figure out how to do it.

Best of luck.

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Only negative I can see is passengers on the rear sideways seat. But if you intend never to carry them then there's no issueT:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts