VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :* got in the van this morning for work and about a mile down road it dropped a cylinder & misfiring, chugged along to a safe place to stop but it cleared by then

checked what I could but on starting there is a definate either tappet or bearing rattle top end, carried onto work and checked again and the coolant is just under the thread of the cap :( so I reakon the head gasket is on the way out again [was done 2k ago but as at mates rates]

thinking it may be easier/cheaper in long run to dump this motor and get either another 1X or how much more work is fitting a 1.9td to mine non turbo ?

advice greatly accepted all T:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
seems aggiest4 has a conversion thread somewhere,it may be a good idea to buy a cheap good runner mk3 golf tdi with a bit tax and mot and run it as is for a few weeks just to make sure everything is ok,you dont want to buy one from a breakers yard/fit it and 3 weeks later be in the same position

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46638

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats the worry, fork out for another motor and find its as bad or worse :(

bloody old motors :*:eek:

·
Registered
643 Posts
you will also need a few bits from an ABL motor when you do the TDi swap. (sump , oil pick up, turbo manifolds, etc ) as they sit at a different angle in the golf/seat donor.

might be best just to get a full TD set up first and swap that out then TDi at a later stage ( unless you have the end of a rainbow at the bottom of the garden )

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmm.......think I'll stick with a 1x as the 40+mpg accross Coventry everyday is nice T:

there is a 1x on ebay for £440 but he wants immediate paypal payment whick I never like

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a wanted add for engine/head :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts