1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To replace my alpine unit:
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-sony-dsx-s100_p-26092.htm

Has anybody got one of these?

My specific question is how long does it take to read a large USB & does it do this everytime the unit is powered up?

My alpine is abit odd, because it can only store 1000 tracks in the memory at any one time (it uses something called banks) & I have about 4500 on my USB stick. It also re-stores the tracks on the USB every time the unit is powered up. I cannot easily find a particular track on the USB stick.

I can buy this Sony unit for about a ton.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I use a Sony head unit with a usb 8GB memory stick mate.
You can take the memory stick out and stick it back in and it remembers the exact position on the track.
Same with turning the unit off it reads your memory stick within seconds on starting.
But you have to leave the stick plugged in during use it doesn't pull them off to it's own memory.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried it in halfords with the 32gb stick. Didn't work right. It only found about a quarter of the songs on the stick.
Need some more ideas. :(

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I downloaded the manual for the sony. It says that it can see a maximum of 128 folders, with 500 files in each folder. I had more than that. I have now re-done the stick, but there is still more (about 150 folders) on it. I am now thinking of a kenwood unit (KDC-6051U) , as the manual for that does not state any restrictions on folders/files. I just need to find one to try before I buy.

Edit: after doing a bit of digging, it would appear that the kenwood unit will access is this:
max folder levels: 8
Max folders: 255
Max files per folder: 255
Max files & folders: 65025
See here: http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/audiofile/index.php?model=KDC-6051U⟨=english

1 - 5 of 5 Posts