VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thing have seriously p#*sed me off the last couple of weeks, if it doesn't improve the van is getting crushed. To much money now having to be spent

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Thing have seriously p#*sed me off the last couple of weeks, if it doesn't improve the van is getting crushed. To much money now having to be spent
Know the feeling with mine, insurance quotes are horrendous & now theres little individuality in owning a T4 (or a vw anymore :( )
also I'm bored with the scene-taxing & overpricing on everything :eek:

Rich.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Owning , and using , an older vehicle is always going to be a bit of a mission , no matter what make . As many of T4,s are approaching 20 yrs old , you need to have a good one , to relieve headaches .. get a bad one , and its never-ending ..!! ( same for all old vehicles ) Had mine since July , 1993 , and its only let me down once ..!! Currently 233k on clock .. Depends on how attached you are to it ...

·
Super Moderator
9,083 Posts
You want to try running a t5 I:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
End of the day it's a lump of metal, as for t5s still come under same rip of merchant's for part etc
It does my head in when 2nd hand parts are being sold at a higher price than NEW parts.
Back to the BMW's me thinks

·
Registered
435 Posts
We've run Espaces and Saabs in the past - never much newer than 10 yrs old. They all cost around the same to run as our T4.

The difference for us is that there is a supportive owners' "scene" where help can be found. Granted, there is "scene tax" on turning vans into campers and day vans and if that's what you want to do, you'll pay for the pleasure. (I'm not against that as an idea, btw - we just need a Caravelle for its seating capacity!)

In addition, parts are at least easily available - try buying a rear spring for a mk3 Grand Espace! (Turns out a Saab 9-5 rear spring is identical, £220 cheaper and 3 weeks quicker from the auto factors! )

What else offers what a T4 offers at the price?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The van is fully converted by me, just that I've never been one to spend over 300 on repairs, if repairs come to more than that they go to the crusher

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thing with a T4 its not just a vehicle its a whole way of life our van is our car its our removal van and its also out Holiday which for us when you do the sums it works out very cheap . but if you fly abroad for a week in a hotel each year then the sums would not look so good
so i suppose it depends what the owner gets out of it
Ours is for keeps but then were also able to do our own work which also helps the sums.
Good luck with ya decision T: T:

·
Registered
221 Posts
What else offers what a T4 offers at the price?
absolutely. there's scene tax on everything vw, but there's a reason for it: parts and expertise availability!

nearest rival to the t4 is a vito. by all accounts they're lovely vans ruined by their tendency to rust like buggery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I decided to keep the van, reconditioned gearbox arrived today at a cost of £900 including the vat. So just awaiting it fitting along with new clutch T: :ILU:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts