VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a spate of phone calls from confused customers concerned about the springs they are about to buy being "The correct 19mm" thickness I thought I would take a few sets from the shelf and measure a few up, and post the results here for you to see.
I'm not exactly sure of the source of this 19mm cobblers, hopefully this should put pay to it.
What confused me is the fact that most of these springs are tapered wire, meaning the wire that the spring is made from tapers from about 10mm up to around 19mm in the middle, then back down to 10 ish again.
I would hate to drive a T4 with springs that were 19mm throughout their length!

Gen VW (888 special springs, white spots)

no Pics, soz like, sure you know tho...

Coils 7.666
Ends - 9.9mm
Thickest part - 19.8mm
Overall height - 255mm

Gen VW (Caravelle - 1996, 2xbrown spots - heavy duty!! may have had wrong springs fitted!!)

No pics.

Coils - 6.75
Ends - 10mm
Thickest part - 17.9mm
Overall height - 270mm

H&R (advertised as -20mm to -40mm, depending on spec of van to start with)

Coils - 7.5
Ends - 10.2mm
Thickest part - 19.7mm
Overall height - 242mm
TUV Cert - Here

KW (advertised as -40mm)

Coils 7.25
Ends - 9.1mm
Thickest part - 19.4mm
Overall height - 245mm
TUV Cert - Here

Weitec (advertised as -40mm, the lighter duty parallel wire one, the cheaper one)

Coils 7.75
Ends - 13.6mm
Thickest part - 13.6mm
Overall height - 250mm
TUV Cert - Here

Weitec (the proper ones, the tapered wire ones, the ones that will carry weight)

Coils 8
Ends - 10.96mm
Thickest part - 18.5mm
Overall height - 235mm
TUV Cert - Here

So, there you go.
The 19mm ain't far off to be fair, but I think it's a bit daft to go saying only anything thats 19mm is "correct" when as you can see from the small range above they vary quite a bit between the brands, the Weitec HD one weirdly having fatter ends and a slimmer middle, but it's not just down to how it's wound and the thickness of the wire it's also down to how the spring is tempered.

In all fairness I really don't think you can go far wrong with most of these springs, go for the cheaper Weitec ones if you really don't expect to carry weight, but the difference in price between the other is minimal and they are all TUV approved (hence modest drop)
I will say the one I measured that didn't match the TUV cert (That I noticed anyway) was the KW, so, I presume subject to change applies here, or engineering tolerances..

Also worth noting is that I have measured the spring including is surface protection, obviously once this has been stripped away the spring will be much narrower.

Mods - I have used pictures on purpose without watermarks with my business name on, not that that stops any of the other traders nicking images from my site and posting them on theirs!! Bless.

For those wishing to buy springs, I hope that this thread is of some use to you, I just wish I had some Eibach to measure up as I think it would be useful to add this info to this page.

Simon.
:)

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eibach - TUV Cert - Here

Drop - 45mm
Coils - 7.5
Ends - 9.8mm
Thickest part - 19.25mm
Overall height - 235mm

Data not verified, taken from Eibach website's TUV cert.

Simon.

Oh, and anyone ever seen a TUV cert for any Jamex springs?
I don't think I ever did when I sold them, they certainly weren't in the box!

hhmmm....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
so just to be sure this one is the wietec hd yes?

and is it possible for reference sake that a list of vaguely approximate list prices might be posted too?

excellent post btw.thanks.

bunny
That one is the light weight one

List prices can be found here for KW http://www.kwsuspensions.de/uk/index.php

and here for Weitech http://www.weitec-suspensions.co.uk/uk/index_uk.htm

Very comprhensive list, nice input

the 19mm reference is in comparison to stock springs which is near enough for most applications.;)

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weitec (advertised as -40mm, the lighter duty parallel wire one, the cheaper one)

Coils 7.75
Ends - 13.6mm
Thickest part - 13.6mm
Overall height - 250mm
TUV Cert - Here
Thats the lighter duty one, not the HD duty one, read the headings I:

Rasp:

Prices, Out of the tapered wire ones the H&R are the cheapest, but to be fair theres not much in it.
I like H&R due to their heritage, plus the T3 stuff is sh!t hot.
KW and Weitec are fine, not driven Eibach, can't comment but I hear nothing but positive comments about them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very good interesting post Simon!! I thought I had settled on the Weitec HD kit for my Westy but after seeing the pic of those H&R's I'm liking the look of them :)

Simon, you have the H&R's on your van don't you? any idea which would sit lower out of the two? I don't want it really low just want to lose a little gap out of the arches.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much of a muchness I would say, I am more than happy with mine.
not dissing the rest, why would I, I sell them all but I think that the H&R's prices just that bit cheaper, better value for money.
The only ones I would have reservations about selling to you would be the cheaper Weitec's.
And like i SAID SOMEWHERE ELSE, CAN'T REMEMBER THE THREAD, Ah, b*llocks, I hate caps lock me...
Anyway, There should be another brand on the market soon, bit cheaper still but has been modeled and tweaked from the above information but made from parallel wire, just as a budget line as I understand that a lot of people simply don't have the money to buy these springs above, I appreciate they ain't cheap so I'm working on a work around so you get the features but at a better price, and something that will carry the weight that the ones above will.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks Simon, the H&R's do look better value for money as you say and also look like they would handle the heavy westy better. I have to count my pennies H: are they in stock?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks Simon, ive ordered the H&R's, going to use them with my standard dampers until I can afford some better ones, hope it will be ok :D

·
Administration
1,763 Posts
Oh, and anyone ever seen a TUV cert for any Jamex springs?
I don't think I ever did when I sold them, they certainly weren't in the box!

hhmmm....
If you go to the Jamex Website there is a tuv certificate number listed for the t4:
http://www.jamex.com/shop/index.asp
A while back I was told that jamex's problem was that the company had jamex.com and jamex.co.uk: the 2 names were the property of different individuals and one of these individuals: I can't remember which weren't supplied by jamex as a maufacturer but just used the jamex name to endorse some polish springs: I think this is about right: the gist of it is theirs one huge factory somewhere in europe that supplies most of the aftermarket springs: obviously some of the production runs are made to different standards and the factory also produce their own generic spring: basically the generic spring was being badge up as jamex but wasn't a Jamex design or spring.
hope that makes some sense: if you look up jamex.co.uk the site is up for sale, if you look up jamex.com you get the jamex performance site.
SB: which one did you deal with?
Can you add any accuracy to this?

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you go to the Jamex Website there is a tuv certificate number listed for the t4:
http://www.jamex.com/shop/index.asp
SB: which one did you deal with?
Can you add any accuracy to this?
I didn't deal with either, I dealt with a UK company, who imported Jamex.
I was lead to believe that the springs were Dutch and made by a company called Tavema, or something, the dampers made by KYB.
KYB are a semi respectable company.
It's always been springs problems that I have had, inconsistant drops, springs that can't carry the weigh that they were meant to.
I have had one set of dampers tun up dinged and one set of T3 rear dampers where the bottom bushes fell in pieces.
I have not had as many problems with anything I have ever sold than I have with Jamex, I don't want to be basically wasting my time with warranty stuff, I would rather not sell this budget line and concentrate on selling parts that don't come back, not good for the end user or me.
There are a few other kits that bare the same name, I had a G-Max kit and a Jamex T3 kit next to each other, they were exactly the same thing.
I got some bumf through the post today about Apex, not something I have any experience of, interested to hear some feedback about those too.

Interestingly the Jamex site has -30mm and -50mm springs listed, from my supplier these were quoted as -45mm and -55mm, I would tend to believe the Jamex website. Only the -30mm springs are TUV appoved also, probably a reason for that eh.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm concerned now I just ordered some weitech springs the lighter duty ones which said they don't sag or bind. Is this correct
The springs I have on my van currently just seem to be so week they give no resistance and with any hint of weight the rear wheel wants to disappear ! (not sure of the make but the shocks are Jamex, the springs are red)

Will the weitech springs do the same or can I expect them not to sag or bind when showed even a bag of spuds ? worringly confused now :confused:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm concerned now I just ordered some weitech springs the lighter duty ones which said they don't sag or bind. Is this correct
The springs I have on my van currently just seem to be so week they give no resistance and with any hint of weight the rear wheel wants to disappear ! (not sure of the make but the shocks are Jamex, the springs are red)

Will the weitech springs do the same or can I expect them not to sag or bind when showed even a bag of spuds ? worringly confused now :confused:
The weitechs are far superior than the Jamex so you won't have a problem

·
Registered
486 Posts
Interestingly the Jamex site has -30mm and -50mm springs listed, from my supplier these were quoted as -45mm and -55mm, I would tend to believe the Jamex website. Only the -30mm springs are TUV appoved also, probably a reason for that eh.
That would explain why my van hardly seems to have dropped at all!

·
Registered
94 Posts
hi,
i'm in the market for a set of springs and dampers for a 1998 panel van. the van will carry nothing more than two or three mountain bikes and some sports gear in the back. i plan to put in a second row of seats or maybe a rock n roll bed at some stage. on the odd occasion i would like to be able to tow a car transporter with car on it. i want a 40mm drop. i dont want a harsh ride as the roads where i live a fairly bad. i was thinking of the weitec light duty kit or should i go for a heavy duty kit? if i go for a heavy duty kit will it be a very crash bang type of ride for my normal driving? who is the best to buy these from i need them shipped to ireland. thanks in advance.
barry

1 - 20 of 32 Posts