VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
first thing you need to do is to make a better for sale section, free to use for all. But all for sale posts must have a picture, nothing worse than seeing a post with no picture, secondly there MUST be a price and location. Also in the picture needs to contain the users forum name to show it is theirs to sell. this is the standard on most forums, it works well. the current systems is utter toss.

for the forum to move forwards dare I say it but now under 'new' ownership then we should have a new moderating team, not completely new but definitely some need to be replaced.

I would hardly say this place is moving forward, i would suggest it had become very very stagnant. Facebook is the new forum, such an easier place to connect nowadays.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Missed this initially, stupid RL. I assumed the forum was already owned by a faceless corporation! At least this one has a face :)

All in Im fully behind this, at the end of the day we pay for a service, as long as that service keeps being provided then it doesnt matter if its being provided by a hosting company in canada or a hosting company in england, or a guy living out of a van in cornwall.

Bring on the mobile site, ability to like posts, ability to attach pictures without having to upload them to a hosting provider :) Maybe the ability to host PDFs with service manuals and stuff. Fixing the for sale section, so it doesnt have a moderation delay would be nice too :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Thanks Tris :D
Haha, not aimed at you, but I do feel this place needs a clear out of the old.

When this new company starts pushing through it ideas and changes then the old 'owners' might not like it but what say so do they have?
And to be fair I think it might do the place good to be fair, get rid of the stalwarts and have a fresh start.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Missed this initially, stupid RL. I assumed the forum was already owned by a faceless corporation! At least this one has a face :)

All in Im fully behind this, at the end of the day we pay for a service, as long as that service keeps being provided then it doesnt matter if its being provided by a hosting company in canada or a hosting company in england, or a guy living out of a van in cornwall.

Bring on the mobile site, ability to like posts, ability to attach pictures without having to upload them to a hosting provider :) Maybe the ability to host PDFs with service manuals and stuff. Fixing the for sale section, so it doesnt have a moderation delay would be nice too :)
Exactly! A:

·
Registered
639 Posts
WOW!!! 20 plus pages to read through, I guess that's what happens when you don't visit as often as you like, my 5 pennorth worth, I have been a member on OTHER forums before :* there are always 3 major issues that get people/members backs up

1 Fees
2 Makes/Models
3 Change

I haven't been on the VW scene for that long, a relative newbie if you like, I epitomise everything that the old brigade (guys an gals that were here at the inception) dislike, BUT our problems are no different from the ones you had when you first ventured on here, vans still break, it is far better to get information and advice from someone who's maybe bought a replacement part an used it first rather than waste your money an find it's cack or not suitable, I use this forum in the same way many others do for that simple reason, and surely that is it's greatest asset, someone else used the football analogy to sum up the takeover and i think that hit the nail on the head, it's still the same team, you're still as passionate about it, you don't want to see your best assets go to the other side, but you are now in the possession of a better management and they're going to make your club even better, if they don't there's always that shower of shyte down the road.

Oh an this pulled of the tinterweb sums it up quite succinctly.

Forum :- A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged T:

Kev :cool:

P.S. If i can be made a mod, will i be a mod mod ;)

P.P.S. Welcome Phil W:

·
Registered
585 Posts
As a Webmaster that owns a forum with an identical amount of posts (2.5 Million) I get at least one of these companies a Week offering to buy my site. What they do is install Google Ad-sense, Skimlinks, and SEO the site to attract more hits.

The people that have bought into - or bought outright - forums 'usually' have no interest (or knowledge) of the vehicles on the site as they retain the original owners (for a prearranged length of time) and the moderators will continue to do a job for them for free (& THEY are the ones with the VW T4/T5 knowledge)

The bottom line is this site is no longer being Administrated by enthusiasts but by a business corporation that's main interest is generating revenue from advertising.

I don't expect the moderators - that spend hours of their free time - basically running the site 'know' that they are now just unpaid workers, but they really should know that a business is going to profit from it.

Oh and the reason I have not sold my forum is I have spent the last 19 years building it up and I want to retain control over the content and layout - & if I did sell it, I wouldn't expect my moderators to work for a business corporation for free -

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
As a Webmaster that owns a forum with an identical amount of posts (2.5 Million) I get at least one of these companies a Week offering to buy my site. What they do is install Google Ad-sense, Skimlinks, and SEO the site to attract more hits.

The people that have bought into - or bought outright - forums 'usually' have no interest (or knowledge) of the vehicles on the site as they retain the original owners (for a prearranged length of time) and the moderators will continue to do a job for them for free (& THEY are the ones with the VW T4/T5 knowledge)

The bottom line is this site is no longer being Administrated by enthusiasts but by a business corporation that's main interest is generating revenue from advertising.

I don't expect the moderators - that spend hours of their free time - basically running the site 'know' that they are now just unpaid workers, but they really should know that a business is going to profit from it.

Oh and the reason I have not sold my forum is I have spent the last 19 years building it up and I want to retain control over the content and layout - & if I did sell it, I wouldn't expect my moderators to work for a business corporation for free -

........................................................ glad thats been said ........................................
thank you mr bacontrousers

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thank goodness the dust seems to have settled on this thread at last.

I would like to add my thanks to Jimbo and others that have built this forum into what it is today, I don't despise them for selling it on, they put in the work and now hopefully have reaped the reward. A Crafter forum next eh Jombo?

However I would like to put these requests to Phillip and second many of the other requests made above...

1. Create a T6 Tab with all of the subsections asap, next week will not be too soon.
  2. Add a Coding / Diagnostics subsection to T4, T5 & T6. That's using VCDS (VAGCOM) or similar kit. Time permitting find and move some existing threads into the relevant new subsection.
  3. Please, please don't go along the lines of Motor Home Facts Forum, your staff have ruined that forum in looks, content and work-ability. It now looks and works like something designed by a 5 year old! If it's not broke don't fix it!
Yes I know I was asked by the Mods to gather some old coding threads so that they could be moved to populate new sections when I asked about this earlier in 2015 but I simply have not had time.

Rod

P.S. Apologies to those involved with the redesign of the MHF forum but I am afraid you deserve it.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
theres a load more folks other than the three that took the cash that got this forum where it is now, good luck to Jimbo the that bloke has taken over the years, as for the other two well.............

as Mikey says we had some great times ..........the best years

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
at the end of the day Rod, if you aren't the owner you are the customer. Your opinion means absolutely fuck all.

As someone that has put an inordinate amount into this forum. More so than pretty much most members. I can honestly say get the fuck over yourself.

You know absolutely jack schitt of the personal journey or sacrifice the previous owners have made. It's all speculation. It's all bullshit. Why don't you just bow out like you did a couple of years ago and put your wooden spoon away

·
Bercow fan club
10,214 Posts
Wonder where the previous ultra enthusiastic owners are now ?

Their enthusiasm has all but deserted them it seems. It makes this moving forward thread somewhat bull5h!t now...

:(

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I look after the website of a non-profit organisation and a mailing list (a much, much smaller enterprise than this forum!) and I know how much time this voluntary work takes out of my week (and mostly weekends).

At some point, the project gets too big and has to move on to a different structure to survive and operate efficiently. If this means being sold or whatever to a professional business that specilaizes in maintaining forums, then so be it. Time will tell if the move works or not. If it doesn't, the members will show their displeasure by saying rude things and leaving.

As for the forum losing its 'roots' or 'identity' (my shortcut to summarize the feelings of some), surely its up to the contributors to make sure that doesn't happen.

And look on the positive side - maybe with the new set-up, I'll be able to tell fellow members where I live without getting censored: Mille!

Note for our new Canadian friends: a-r-s-e is no longer considered inappropriate language outside the Bognor Regis Conservative Ladies' Club. People call me one all the time.

221 - 240 of 250 Posts